Author Topic: Remington Elliot Ring Trigger 4 Barrel Pistol  (Read 4089 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Remington Elliot Ring Trigger 4 Barrel Pistol
« on: December 08, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
Does anyone have one of these pistols?  I've been kind of enamored by them for a while and am thinking of getting one.  The .22 cal version has 5 barrels, the .32 rimfire has 4 barrels. I already made some reloadable .32 rimfire cases for other guns, so making ammunition is not a problem.  I'm wondering if anyone has shot one, worked on one or has any insight into their weak points or things to look for when buying one.  Of course, I'll stay with black powder or sub loads to not stress the old boy.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remington Elliot Ring Trigger 4 Barrel Pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Howdy
Two Questions.
Could anyone who has one of these take a picture of the hand alongside a scale?  I made a hand and it is the wrong length. It doesn't advance the firing disc correctly.
Also, How did you make the re-loadable 32 cartridges?
Regards
Colt

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
I made my own reloadble cases. But TENMILE now sells them on GB. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883625501
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:40:57 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
I found this in an 1876 Remington catalog.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 03:47:36 PM »
I got lucky and found a nice one at a fair price at our local gun show!  After cleaning and oil, I'll make up some 32 rimfire primed cases to test it with  ;D

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
I cleaned and oiled it this morning, and fixed a loose grip. Then set out to make up a dummy round to determine proper case length. Using an Ideal 299153 heel bullet I started with a .650" long case - no go. Then it was shortened to .575". That fit perfectly. I just emailed Jack to order a dozen reloadable rimfire cases.  :)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »
Nice looking pistol . Have never held one . Is it possible to select what barrel fires and are the barrels rifled ? Good find Amigo ! ,,,DT

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
Ron - they are rifled, but I really don't see much purpose. At card table distance, I can't imagine it made much difference. The bores show neglect, but I can still see rifling. They are not selectable. It has a rotating firing pin. Each cycle of the trigger rotates the pin clockwise, cocks and releases the hammer. Pretty ingenious.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
That is a very smart design and a very Cool pocket gun  . It looks like it has a very short trigger travel .   Look forward to seeing you get it shooting . ,,,DT

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »
I made up one reloadable 32 short rimfire case to test the firing mechanism - no powder or bullet, just a starter blank as the primer. I put it in the barrel that the firing pin was positioned to rotate to next. Then stepped outside and pulled the trigger. I was rewarded with a load bang  ;D  I've ordered a dozen reloadable cases from Jack Harrison. His are much nicer than mine. Getting closer to shooting the little Remington ring trigger  :)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
The original 32 short cartrdge was loaded with an 80gr bullet over 9gr of black powder. All I have are 87gr bullets made for the 32 long. So to get them a little closer to original, I put them in the lathe and turned a flat nose on them. I'm sure this will improve the knockdown power  ;D

Offline NickD

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
I had one of these and shot it at 25yards, was difficult to keep,on target as at this distance it shot high and has a heavy trigger pull. I used a charge of 1.4 grains of Bullseye behind a 80 grain bullet. Great fun.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
25 yards is long range shooting for this little guy!  I'm figuring on 6 - 10 feet, card table range  ;D

Offline Marshall Matt Dillon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
I have one in pretty nice shape. I will buy some of those reloadable shells, thanks for the link. I love how these gun uncock! I also machined an aluminum plate to insert in mine so i could dry fire it and not hurt the firing pin. You can see the firing pin marks in second pic as it rotates to each barrel. The marks do not match perfectly because i turned it 180 a few times after having it out.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Wow - thats a beauty! Much nicer than mine. It has a surprisingly strong hammer fall which should make for reliable ignition. Your aluminum plate shows that.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
It took more then one hit to make marks that deep. I was happy just to do that! I am excited to actually shoot it.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 05:51:05 PM »
If yours is like mine, you'll need cases trimmed to .575". Jack will trim them to length for a small additional fee.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »
I sent him a message to see if he combines shipping. I need bullets too. Would i need to put some kind of lube on those shouldered bullets he sells?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »
Yes, he'll combine shipping. I just email him directly now. I've ordered bullets from him many times. I'll be loading these with Blackhirn 209 and starter pistol blanks. The BH 209 is fine with a smokeless lube. I like tumble lubing them in a  50/50 mix of Lee liquid Alox / Johnsons paste wax. But you can just use the alox. Or just smear a dab of your favorite lube on. I use a drop of loctite as a way to crimp the bullets in place - a chemical crimp  ;D

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 07:09:14 PM »
Just FYI, this is the same bullet loaded in my .32 Extra Long. The bullet has the tumble lube in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com