Author Topic: Converting a Rossi '92 to 38/40  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Converting a Rossi '92 to 38/40
« on: July 07, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
If I wanted to convert a Rossi '92 to 38/40 what would be the best 'rifle' (not carbine) to start with? A 357Mag or a 44Mag?

In my opinion I think the 44Mag would be better for the bolt face and extractor/ejector size, going from 44Mag to larger 38/40 rim diameter.  But the cartridge guides would be to large for the bottle neck taper. ???

The 357, I think the bolt face would be too smaller? and the extractor/ejector too?  Is the 357 frame smaller compared to the 44Mag?  The cartridge guide would have metal that could be cut though.

Do 357 cartridge guides fit into the 44Mag frame?  If so, then they could be purchased and recut for the 38/40 profile or is this an incorrect idea?

The 38/40 and 357Mag cartridge rifles are ones that I have never owned or shot.  Would like to have the 38/40 most, of either.

Comment are appreciated.
Black River Smith

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Converting a Rossi '92 to 38/40
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
No gunsmith here, but I'd think that starting with one in .45 Colt or 44-40 would get the bolt face, extractor and ejector closer to the right size than either the .357 or .44Mag. And the magazine tube would work better, too. Do the .357 ones have a smaller mag tube on the Rossi? I think the original '92s had 2 different mag tubes, one for 44 and 38, another for 32-20 and 25-20.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:22:06 PM »
Pony,
Thanks for the reply.  I did not even think about the 45Colt.  The bolt would only have to be modified slightly to reach the 38/40 diameter.  Also did not even factor in the magazine tube size.  Really thought the 44Mag and 45Colt and a 44/40 (that they use to offer) would have the same size tube.   

This is why I asked here.  My general focus has been of the cartridge guide rails.

If a 45Colt barrel was used, are liner diameters large enough to fill what diameter has to be cut out?
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:11:17 AM »

Online Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »
Hey BRS ,, Paul Taylor , did the reline on my 92, ( it was already done when I bought it ), it was a 45LC, can't tell it has a liner. But the cartridge guides on ea. side,
 ( where the base of the case fits )have to be moved forward , I took my 92 Rossi carbine apart and used it as a pattern ,, works slick,, the opening in the frame where the mag. fits, needs to be opened a small ( small )bit as the 44-40 & 38-40 have a bigger base dia.

If I can help ,,, just holler.

coffee's ready ,,Hootmix.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
If I wanted to convert a Rossi '92 to 38/40 what would be the best 'rifle' (not carbine) to start with? A 357Mag or a 44Mag?

In my opinion I think the 44Mag would be better for the bolt face and extractor/ejector size, going from 44Mag to larger 38/40 rim diameter.  But the cartridge guides would be to large for the bottle neck taper. ???

The 357, I think the bolt face would be too smaller? and the extractor/ejector too?  Is the 357 frame smaller compared to the 44Mag?  The cartridge guide would have metal that could be cut though.

Do 357 cartridge guides fit into the 44Mag frame?  If so, then they could be purchased and recut for the 38/40 profile or is this an incorrect idea?

The 38/40 and 357Mag cartridge rifles are ones that I have never owned or shot.  Would like to have the 38/40 most, of either.

Comment are appreciated.

Only one choice here - 44 mag - all ya got to do is rebarrel and go shoot - cartridge guides maybe need a lick taken out of em but I know for sure that 44/40 guides will feed the 38/40 without alteration - case rim is identical extractor / ejector same -- if you use 357 you got a lot of stuff to change .

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and guidance statements.

Slamfire, I forgot about your new rifle until after making this posting.  I did recheck your posting about the 45Colt conversion and your slight fixes.  Also just saw your Gunsmith posting.  Hope the fix can be worked out.  Sorry I have not stripped mine down that far yet or I would give you that answer.  As a 'guess' I would say yes because of the trick of using a cartridge to re-install the bolt when working on them.  The cartridge presses the extractor/ejector flush. Does it not?  Anything short or long of that would create a headspace issue in my mind.  Also aren't there two pins that have to be installed to hold the ejector, so those would be a guide of how far back it goes and then the face cut.???

Greyhawk,  Thanks for your comments.  That gives me some hope.  Does your comment include the others comments about starting with a 45Colt instead of a 44Mag?  Or is it your Opinion that the 44Mag is the best of them all?  Or because I only listed the 357 & 44 in my OP?  I did not think of the 45Colt as an option myself.  I do not think Rossi is offering a Rifle in 45Colt at this time, Bud's Guns in only listing the 357 & 44.
Black River Smith

Online Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »
 BRS,, I found the answer I was looking for ,, please read before you decide. It's a article by " Bull Schmitt's , I wish I could have read it before I started my project .The ejector had been filed on before I got the rifle but I still got it to work smooth. So I'm going to order a new ejector ( just to be safe ).  Here is a quote; " The ejector has reached the back end of the barrel
                                                                           and is being Forced Flush w/ the Front surface of
                                                                           the Breech Bolt "  ;D

Here i'm talking about the ejector ,, not the extractor, the extractor snaps over the rim of the case,, the ejector kicks the case out.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 08:38:26 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and guidance statements.

Slamfire, I forgot about your new rifle until after making this posting.  I did recheck your posting about the 45Colt conversion and your slight fixes.  Also just saw your Gunsmith posting.  Hope the fix can be worked out.  Sorry I have not stripped mine down that far yet or I would give you that answer.  As a 'guess' I would say yes because of the trick of using a cartridge to re-install the bolt when working on them.  The cartridge presses the extractor/ejector flush. Does it not?  Anything short or long of that would create a headspace issue in my mind.  Also aren't there two pins that have to be installed to hold the ejector, so those would be a guide of how far back it goes and then the face cut.???

Greyhawk,  Thanks for your comments.  That gives me some hope.  Does your comment include the others comments about starting with a 45Colt instead of a 44Mag?  Or is it your Opinion that the 44Mag is the best of them all?  Or because I only listed the 357 & 44 in my OP?  I did not think of the 45Colt as an option myself.  I do not think Rossi is offering a Rifle in 45Colt at this time, Bud's Guns in only listing the 357 & 44.

45colt might be a better option?   
 Rim diameter = .512,  thickness = .060, case base dia = .480
 38/40            = .520                   = .058                         = .465-470
 44mag           = .514                   = .060                         = .457

Its likely a manufacturer would make the bolt face interchangeable but might need to make the feed rails different - would it be easier? to shim the right side feed rail ten thou (45colt to 38/40) than to stone ten thou off it (44mag to 38/40) - proly six of one an half a dozen of tother
I was mistaken when I said rim size same for 44mag to 38/40, they are ten thou different.
I think its a hair split either way !! ............................ 

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »
Black River, it looks like I will be selling my .45 Colt Rossi, 20" barrel soon. If you can;t find one locally, let me know if you might need it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
DeaconKC,

I appreciate the 'first option' offer but if it would have to be a 24" octagon barreled rifle, for me.
Black River Smith

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
DeaconKC,

I appreciate the 'first option' offer but if it would have to be a 24" octagon barreled rifle, for me.
Good hunting!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com