Author Topic: Removing Nickel Plating  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Removing Nickel Plating
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Sooo...I have a Pietta 1851 Navy I did the conversion on and had nickel it nickel plated by Mahovsky Mmetalife, who did an outstanding job as far as I can see.

The issue is with the ejector assembly - the rod now sticks and is hard to use. 

My thought is that, between nickel plating the assembly and the rod, it both narrowed the opening and enlarged the rod.  (Rod it is not bent.)

My current plan is to disassemble the ejector and remove the plating from the rod only...it isn't seen and steel there won't be that noticeable he said hopefully.

Pistol is in top right of picture...It's actually quite shiny but I am not a photo lighting expert.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else had this happen and what did they do?

B) Can I use Muriatic Acid to remove the Nickel?

Any shoves in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Removing Nickel Plating
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
I would stay away from the Muriatic acid.  I've used it for working on automotive restoration.  It's dangerous and it weakens the steel.  I'd get some Crocus cloth.  Put the pin in a drill motor and spin it while holding the pin in the crocus cloth, so you are actually polishing the pin.  I would think if you already have some movement, it won't take much polishing to give yourself enough clearance.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »

PLUS ONE to HP246.  Except, I'd personally skip the Crocus Cloth.  I find Crocus to be a tad too aggressive.  I think I'd try using some 350 or 400 Wet/Dry but with the same method.  You just want to polish.  Also the possibility there are some Burrs (Plating Buildup) inside the the housing and/or in the slot.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:41:41 PM »

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
there is a powder product out there you mix with water to remove nickle plating. google it, sorry at the moment i can not recall the name of it. i have used it and it worked nicely.

Offline Cypress Sam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »
I would use some lapping compound so that only the parts that were binding would be polished.  Valve grinding compound works too.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »

CHOMP   CHOMP    ;)  OK, I'll bite (chomp chomp). 

How'd this turn out??  Seems a little rubbin and buffin onna rod and some rubbin and buffin inna ejector housing should have fix'd it right up.

Weak and Flaky minds wanna know ya know.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
Coffin:
How would you remove the plating on an entire pistol, without sanding or rubbing with an abrasive, this is an old nickle job on an 1899 S&W.  The guy that plated it removed enough metal the first time around.
Thanks for any insight you may have.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »
What am I missing here?  Ain't the ejector rod a part that would be easaly obtained?  Why not just buy a new, unplated one?

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
as i indicated earlier here, there is a powdered product you mix with water to remove the nickle. as i recall it was "caswell" i think. i did a whole shiloh sharps, action, barrel, butt plate and lever, then rust blued and had the action color cased. i hated a nickle sharps!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com