Author Topic: Why I like NCOWS  (Read 148796 times)

Offline Outlaw Cracker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why I like NCOWS
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
I read one of Joss's post about how NCOWS can accomodate our little niches and that got me thinking.  We are all quick to point out what we don't like, but I would like to start this thread with the focus of what we do like about NCOWS:

Me personally, I like the atmosphere of NCOWS.  Every NCOWS shoot that I have been to had a campfire going.  There is something about an open fire that really does it for me.  I like the primitive camping aspect too.  I will never take it to the level of Mike Tatham or Dr. Bob, but there is something ultra relaxing and casual about the intimacy created around a period campsite.  I also like the focus on history.

I think you all realize, I love the competitive shooting aspect of the game, but these are some of the other itches that NCOWS scratches for me.  What does it do for you? 
Makes me wish that there was a NCOWS close to me.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2007, 08:49:27 AM »
Well OC, it only takes three to start a posse, and we have many members who have not affiliated with a posse. We even have one posse that is a social club and does not plan to hold shoots (though they do shoot).

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

"Now I've been a buckskinner and a military re-enactor.  The later are good people once they except you, but it can be a challenge to get excepted."

Just a'funnin' and a-teasin' a wee bit... but

I think you meant "accept."    ;)
   Some are elitists and snobs who value themsleves only as a measure of who they can belittle or put down- and "except" everyone but themselves.

Buffalo Springfield

Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:54:00 PM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »
Well,,hope ya'll dont toss me out at Hooten. I cant stand to NOT have a good time,,,,so,,im loading up some new humor material !

Marshal Deadwood  *whos great passion in life is stomping mudholes in arrogrance..

My tombstone shall read,,,"I TOLD YA I was SICK !"

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

Buck Nekkid!  You old Reprobate!  I know you!

Will I be able to pick you out of the crowd because you are naked then?
   ;)  :)

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline Sunday Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2007, 11:25:13 PM »
Some things I like about NCOWS:

1. Campfires, but I've had a campfire in deer camps, on fishing trips, while buckskinning, primitive archery competitions, reenactments, anywhere I camp, etc., etc.
2. Attention to detail, but as a retired high school and college art teacher and crudely producing artist, I've preached detail most of my life.
3. Friendly competition, but I found that in college rifle team competition, archery, muzzleloading, pistol shooting, other forms of CAS, etc., etc.
4. A love of history, but I found that in genealogical groups, historical societies, reenactments, etc.
5. Cooking over a fire, but I like it so much I forged a tripod and keep it set up in my back yard and own several Dutch ovens.

The UNIQUE thing I like about NCOWS:

In your search for the truth about how it really was, none of you appear to me to make an effort to alter whatever facts you discover, no matter the potential inconvenience.

I mention this because I have recently been very disappointed in two other groups, formerly dear to my heart, who have allowed members to author fallacies (that I can prove incorrect) in their respective national publications in an attempt, in my opinion, to cast a different light on historical events. Both these were political in nature. Neither individual responded when I called attention to their errors via e-mail.

With some of my other favorite things (see numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, above) thrown in, I think I'm beginning to like it around here.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2007, 12:19:14 AM »
Howdy Sunday Bill,

Glad to hear that you are happy here by our fire!  Most are.  Been buckskinning, [nearly 30 years] reenacting, [nearly 20 years] and NCOWS FOR 3 shooting seasons.  It sure does seem to be the right place for me. ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2007, 06:46:15 PM »
Sunday Bill, you sound like our kind of prospect :D  Just remember in NCOWS the degree of authenticity is an individual thing.  No one is forced to go beyond the basics.  Some do most things in as authentic a way as they can others, like James Hunt and Monterey Jack Brass won't use something until they can prove it was used by the type of individuals they portray, even if they know it was available.

None is wrong each does as they feel they want to.  We try not to critique others unless asked.

I welcome you to our camp.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Whiskey Johnson

• Whiskey Johnson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
Campfires....shooting......history.....Friendly Marines ...........

This sounds too good to be true, I suspect an AMBUSH!

:D
NCOWS #3016, SASS #75800, Mi. Nat'l Guard, VFW Life, NRA Life, DIRTY RATS #415

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »
You all sure sound like my kind of people. Hope to visit with many of you at the 08 NCOWS NATIONAL at Evansville, IN That's the first week of June. TJ

Texas Jack Stephens(aka Jim Stephens) SASS#12303, NCOWS #2312, Hirams Rangers #22, Member NRA, JCR, Hartford Lodge 675, and a fun loving cowboy.
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »
Howdy Major Matt,

From my extremely limited exposure to NCOWS, I'd have to say it's the pards.  I've seen nothing but helpful suggestions to help me fit in and enjoy the sport.  I think I'm going to enjoy the company around your campfire.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:34 PM »
I agree - the people.  And fewer gamers ...

;)
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Offline Dedwood Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »
         Howdy major matt you may not remember me I think I helped put up yours and Homers tent.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I like ncows because when I'm at a shoot or reeactment I'm having fun and I'm relaxed. I also like the atmosephere. There's always a fire going and there's always coffee grians in your coffee. 8) ;D And there's the all famous Charlie and Peevine poker tourniment. Well i'm going to stop writing this post' it's starting to feel like school assighnment.
Don't get excited about the light at the other end of the tunnel. (It might be another train.)

NCOWS family 2908
NMLRA
NRA
4H Pistol
Quigley shooter

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
Deadwood and Dastardly...

Welcome to the fire and you can swing by for some hot Chocollate anytime you want.

Sorry for the late replies, I have kind of fallen off the face of the earth for a bit. :)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
I was Googling for some info on a 2d Model S&W "Baby Russian" I just added to the collection and found NCOWs.  Didn't know anything about NCOWs, but like the idea of it. Seems like the anti-CAS, meaning, it has none of the things I don't like about CAS.

So far, I understand that NCOWs rules say:

No Hollywierd leather or garments.
 No gun cofigurations that never existed pre 1899 such as the Ruger Blackhawk with micrometer sights or an SAA with an 1877 Lightning/Thunderer grip (but the Lightning/Thunderer is illegal in CAS?) ??? ???

No squibs, bullets have to fly at least 600 fps.

To make matters better, NCOWs members seem to be in this more for the love of shooting, the comraderie and maybe seeing a piece of what late 18th century frontier life was like. Not so much of the "match" mentality, as in, "gaming the game".

And what I like most is, NCOWs acknowledges the existance of double action revolvers during the Cowboy Era! I know there aren't  many in the Movies, except some of the shooting scenes as stand ins for the featured SAAs. These double actions were technology of the day and I think it is a shame that CAS shooters are missing out on an entire category of classic firearms.

By the way, the .38 "Baby Russian" that inadvertantly brought me here is a fine shooter at 21 feet ;)

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »

Lightning/Thunderer grip (but the Lightning/Thunderer is illegal in CAS?) ??? ???

Original Colt Lighting/Thunderers are NCOWS legal; because they are Double Aciton.
The modern copies are SA only and therefore not true copies of the original.

The birds-head grip has only shown up on (I think) four original SAA Colts.  They were special ordered by a man named Crapo.
[Only four means they were in common use.]

Charles, you are correct about this NCOWS site.  Lots of information and very little gamesmanship.

Welcome;

Books

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
Hello Books

Thanks for the information.

I think some day I would like to join NCOWS and go to a shoot. Seems like a lot of good times to be had. I think I have guns for every class except the repeating rifle.

My Krags are too powerful I suppose as I did not see them listed as being legal.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »

Charles:

Glad you found us. It's a pretty good bunch.

I'd say much of your observations are dead on.
Sounds like you'll fit right in with our outfit.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

I think some day I would like to join NCOWS and go to a shoot. Seems like a lot of good times to be had. I think I have guns for every class except the repeating rifle.

Charles;

You will also find, that if you show up to a shoot and your rifle (or something else) isn't right;  someone will loan you what you need.
I have seen it happen over and over.  When my '66 [clone] malfuntioned, I had multiple offers of a loan before I got back to camp from the range.  Then Montana Slim, who is a gunsmith, fixed mine.

It really is a great buch of people.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
Charles,
On your Krag, also visit the Grand Army of the Frontier forum on this site. The GAF conducts shoots under NCOWS rules, and are an equally great bunch of people.

Visit our NCOWS website and join the fun.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com