Author Topic: .44 Henry Center Fire Flat  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.44 Henry Center Fire Flat
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
I wonder why someone does bring out a Henry Rifle in .44 Henry Center Fire Flat?
I don’t know if it would be a really big seller but I could see a number of people wanting one. In fact a Colt SAA Replica in the same caliber would make a really good SASS combo.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: .44 Henry Center Fire Flat
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
Uberti made a few .44 Spcl Henrys about 8 or 10 years ago.  Those can be easily made to shoot shorter rounds (44 Colt, 44 Russian) as well.  I think it is a supply and demand thing.  They can barely keep up with the orders they get for the 45LC and 44-40 models.  But since they have made them in 44 Spcl before, they could probably do it again if someone special ordered it I would think.  Some folks have taken 44-40 Henrys and had them rechambered for .44 Russian.   I'm not sure what the dimensions are of a ".44 Henry Center Fire Flat" - is that the cartridge that some yellowboys were chambered for late in their production?  I don't think there is any way that Uberti would chamber a rifle in a cartridge for which brass does not exist.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
The market for Henry's is small.  The market for a Henry chambered in a round no one has manufactured for over 80 years would be practically non-existent.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:17:07 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »
The .44 Henry cf and the .44 S&W American are dimensionally the same.  They were independantly developed about 20 years apart.

The closest basic case is the .41 RM, and it would use a heeled bullet
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
I duplicated the 44 Henry round with 45 Schofield, a 200 round bullet and about 28-29 grains of FFFG BP in a 1872 Open top and 1860 Henry.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
As was posted, the .44 Henry was basically similar dimensions to the S&W 44/100 (as it was first called), aka .44 American. Both used heel bullets, and the case was approximately the dimensions of a modern .41 Magnum.  As the external dimension at the mouth was about the same as the bullet diameter, this required the use of a "heel" bullet.  (The .22 rf uses a heel bullet, BTW.)  Heel bullet ammo is not the easiest to load, as a crimp is a PIA to accomplish.  The Russians apparently thought about the same thing, and asked S&W to modify the .44 American cartridge to use a straight shank inside-lubed bullet. This became known as the .44 Russian. With the advent of smokeless powder, the .44 Russian was lengthened to prevent use in older arms, and this became the .44 Special. That cartridge was lengthened once more when the loads went bananas, to become the .44 Magnum. I doubt any manufacturer would want to chance a toggle-link action with the .44 Magnum (we sometimes can it ".44 Extra Long Russian), and .44 Russian would be a limited sale item. So I would guess if anyone wanted to put out a Henry in .44 CF, it would be the .44 Special.  The same has been done for the '66, or so I understand.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com