Author Topic: THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)  (Read 41368 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

THE BLACK COVENANT

By this Covenant, an Order known as THE ANCIENT AND HONOURABLE BROTHERHOOD OF BERTHOLD AND BACON is hereby recognized always to have existed from the days of those Venerable and Ancient Bretheren

TO BE HEREAFTER PUBLICKLY KNOWN AS

THE SUBLYME  & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT, (SHOTS) , In common parlay referred to as THE BLACK ORDER, or “The Order” in this Covenant

THE PURPOSE of The Order is to Uphold and Propagate the exercize of armes employing the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE called gonne powder or the HOLY SOOT. These armes, or devices, are called GONNES.  They vary from Artillerie, and include Rockets (as recently perfekted by Master Congreve), to handgonnes, arquebusiers, carbines and all sorts of rifled armes, musketry and fowling pieces, and include armes charged with loose gonne powder and armes charged with cartridges of metal, paper, or skin.  It does NOT include the Holy Soot used for celebration or demolition.  Guy Fawkes has forfeited his right to be a member of The Order.

THE PRACTISE  of The Order will be perpetrated in two parts;

The BLACK ART is the practise of armes using the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE while hunting, warring, or at friendly and sporting tournaments of all sorts.

The BLACK MYSTERIE is the study, experimentation, and propagation of the knowledge required to manufacture, maintain and employ all sorts of Gonnes using the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE, and the ballistiques, rapiditie and arcs of any solid object propelled by its most sudden explosion.

DEFINITIONS

The term “ANCIENT" has two meanings, not exclusive from the one to the other;

1.    Beyond the memory of living man.
2.    A man living beyond his memory, otherwise known as a "senior citizen".

A "GONNE" referred to in this COVENANT must always be emploied with the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE.

MEMBERSHIP in The Order is voluntary, and is arranged in the ranks here denoted, which must be ascended in the order in which they here proceed:

NOVICE.    This being the rank open to any person who has discharged any gonne, or desires to.

BROTHER.  This being the rank open to any NOVICE who has the deed upon, or the habitual use of, any gonne.

BROTHER AT ARMES.  This being the rank open to any BROTHER who follows the BLACK ART by either hunting with a gonne, useing a gonne in mortal combat, or competing in tournaments of sport of any sort with a gonne.

LEARNED BROTHER  This being the rank open to any BROTHER who studies the Ancient texts, conducts research into the use, improvement, and employment of gonnes, and especially those who propagate their acquired knowledge of the BLACK MYSTERIE to other members or among the heathen who still use inferior forms of gonne powder, such as those foolish pieces which propagateth NOT the glorious and sulphorous cloud when discharged.

BROTHER ARTISAN being a member who engineers, revizes, beautifies or otherwize tinkers with gonnes, accoutraments or munitions.

MASTER.  Open to BROTHERS AT ARMES, LEARNED BROTHERS, and BROTHER ARTISANS who have achieved notable success in either the BLACK ARTS or the BLACK MYSTERIES.

HONOURABLE MASTER.  Open to MASTERS who are acknowledged by their brother MASTERS to have achieved notable skill in the BLACK ARTS and for theyr prominence in propagating the BLACK MYSTERIE.

Any member may precede their rank with the term ANCIENT if they satisfy either definition.

Members may append their rank, after theyr mark, or seel, on any correspondence they choose.
Members above the rank of BROTHER may refer to themselves as LORD OF THE SOOT, or by theyr rank.

Members must rise through the ranks in order, except that BROTHER AT ARMES, LEARNED BROTHER, and BROTHER ARTISAN are equal in rank, and may choose theyr route to enlightenment, and may change it at theyre own whym.

Members promote themselves on the basis of Honour and Honesty, subject to challenge  by TRIAL BY INVECTIVE, Duelling having been outlawed except for a duelling tree at a friendly tourney, and only after a "seemly" period of time in each rank.

Members are reminded hereforth that the virtues of chastity, civility, sobriety and temperance are best and most happily fownde amongst other orders, such as munks.  Members are advised to follow these virtues ONLY whythe gonne in hand.

A prospective member of the Order may, at theyre own whym, and fayling memory if an ANCIENT, backdate theyre qualifications. Status as a NOVICE may be backdated indefinitely if he or she wore a cheap copy of a coon-skin cap and watched Fess Parker on a black and white television set as a child.  If memory does not extend that far, ownership of your own copy of THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES and QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER is prima facie proofe.  Status as a BROTHER may be backdated to when you bought your first Spanish or Italian muzzleloader kit, whether you assembled it or not.

PROOFE OF MEMBERSHIP is proved by possession of a copy of this COVENANT signed by ones-selfe, without necessitie of witnesses or oathe. In the alternative, proofe may be evidenced by signing a copy on the spot in the presence of another purported member. If a copy of the COVENANT is not available a member may prove his status by crying out at the top of his voice in the presence of at least one purported member; "THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE!"

ORGANIZATION of The Order is by consensus of the members under the Benevolent Leadership of an ANCIENT AND GRAND MASTER, assisted by PALADINS appointed by hymself and a SECRETARIAT also appointed, to keep any necessary records or an Exchequer as required.  If an ANCIENT AND GRAND MASTER cannot be arrived at by consensus, GOD HELP US.

Members of any rank may be "at Large".  This does not depend on the length of theyr gonne belt, but indicates that they practise the BLACK ART or the BLACK MYSTERIE as individual champions.  Alternatively, members may arrange themselves as a HOUSE, or a COMPANY.  A HOUSE implies a geographical entity, while a COMPANY may be devoted to a particular form of the BLACK ART. 

DISPUTE RESOLUTION is normally decided by LEARNED DISCOURSE, followed by adoption by consensus.  Discourse is best proceeded with after proper vocal lubrication wythe that ancient liquid, Bier, or any other water of life.

TRIAL BY INVECTIVE may be invoked by a member of any rank who wishes to take any other member to task for any dispute, real or imagined.  It could be for a matter of fact that cannot be resolved by LEARNED DISCOURSE, or a matter of honour, or of unseemly self promotion.  Trial by Invective ends when the matter is resolved or conceded by either party, or is ended peremptorily by resolution of at least three members of the same or higher rank.   

DISSOLUTION of the Order will be readily apparent when nobody cares anymore.

BY APPENDING YOUR MARK AND SEEL HERETO YOU COVANENT TO UPHOLDE AND PROPAGATE THE PRACTISE AND VIRTUES OF THE ORDER AND OF THE HOLY SUBSTANCE

______________________________________  ( Seel)   

Rank                      Date Affected       ____________   

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »
In discussion on another thread, a proposal was made by Our Brother Dastardly Dick that a registry of members of the HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT be formed.  It just so happened that I had prepared a document back in November of 2005 that contemplated such a call to ARMES.

It is intended that this ORDER be entirely voluntary and ruled on the HONOUR System. For more background refer to this thread;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,41272.0.html

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »
REGISTRY OF MEMBERS;

ANCIENT & GRAND MASTER - There should only be one person of such notable stature.  Nominations please.

PALADIN - A Paladin was an Imperial agent on roving assignment from Charlemagnes Court. I propose that there be only one for each Nation or important region within such Nation.  His appointment to be by concensus whilst  an Ancient & Grand Master (AGM) is being selected. Duties are to assist the AGM, and generally supervise such Nation or Region's members.

I propose the following; (These are obvious to me - further suggestions are invited)
Rattlesnake Jack - Canada
Paladin UK -  Great Britain
Long Johns Wolf - Germany
Steel Horse Bailey -  USA  (Region?)
TwoWalks Baldridge - USA  (Region?)

HONOURABLE MASTERS
Mike Venturino - For his activities in popularizing BPCR and otherwise publicizing all armes using the Ancient Substance.
The Mad Monk, aka E Ogre and in real life Bill Knight.  The Mad Monk, is skillful learned and has practiced such skills of the BLACK MYSTERIE to the degree that he is Nationally Known as the Most Authoritative Individual of Original Gunpowder, both historically and of current manufacture.  He has no equal in current times  

MASTERS - in no particular order or degree of importance.  Masters and above are known as Lords of the Soot, or "Soot Lord".
Bottom Dealing Mike
John  Boy
W44WCF
Paladin UK
Rattlesnake Jack
Mako - learned and Artisan  (a good candidate for MASTER)
Dastardly Dick

BROTHERS AT ARMES, LEARNED BROTHERS, AND BROTHER ARTISANS    (Divided or grouped?) List major acomplishments
e.g;  Raven - Artisan
Blackpowder Burn -         

BROTHERS - This is the working rank for blackpowder competitors.

NOVICES - (Need they be listed, or keep the multitudes in a lump until they acheive notoriety?)

Nominations are welcome for all ranks.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:33:55 AM »

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »
Thank you Sir Charles  :-[  I`m Honoured.

Paladin (Whats  :-[  :-[  :-[ But chuffed  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Sir Charles, thank you kindly.  Has a nice sound to it .... Master John Boy, herein enrolled in the Black Order, the SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
HONOURABLE MASTER.  Open to MASTERS who are acknowledged by their brother MASTERS to have achieved notable skill in the BLACK ARTS and for theyr prominence in propagating the BLACK MYSTERIE

I desire to place the name ... The Mad Monk, also known as E Ogre and in real life Bill Knight as an HONOURABLE MASTER.
The Mad Monk, is skillful learned and has practiced such skills of the BLACK MYSTERIE to the degree that he is Nationally Known as the Most Authoritative Individual of Original Gunpowder, both historically and of current manufacture.  He has no equal in current times 
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
I desire to place the name ... The Mad Monk, also known as E Ogre and in real life Bill Knight as an HONOURABLE MASTER.
The Mad Monk, is skillful learned and has practiced such skills of the BLACK MYSTERIE to the degree that he is Nationally Known as the Most Authoritative Individual of Original Gunpowder, both historically and of current manufacture.  He has no equal in current times 

I second that...  There is no other living soul as knowledgeable of the history, manufacture, sources or formulations thereof than Bill Knight.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
NRA, TSRA, MCA, MCAA, ANA, MOAA, ASME, SAME, BMES, STS

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
To the grandest order's leadership. i espectfuly request consideration for "LEARNED BROTHER "

I have shot Holy Black since 2004, I have slowly but surely dabbled in more complex black powder weapons - ie getting C&B's converted to cartridge and shooting 10 gauge period winchester and remington shotguns and shooting my 1873 St Etienne revolvers.

I also started the VA Fire and Brimstone Posse working hard with other VA purveyors of the soot to share the love and enjoyment of shooting the holy black in VA.

Other members of the VA Fire and Brimstone Posse deserve inclusionin this worthy order as well.  Should i submit their names in mass or have them post seperately?

Respectfully,

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
No offense PR, but now I'm confused as to what a Learned Brother would be.  I just saw that Sir Charles had me categorized as such.

Sir Charles, elaborate please.

One more thing, some of us have used Black Powder in combat.  Those that have used artillery of 105 or greater and ground attack aerial ordnance in combat have used BP.  Most of the initiators have BP bursting charges.  So those who are arties with combat experience and others like me have used BP in combat.  I guess that meets one of the categories you listed that most thought would remain unfilled.

Regards,
Mako

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
I would request admission to the SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT as a Brother at Armes.

I have used the one true powder exclusively since 2008 in an average of three (3) tournaments each month.  I have gonnes of the type as follows.  Each is of minimum 44 caliber and charged with maximum volumes of the Soot.
 - cap'n ball revolvers
 - cartridge revolvers
 - double hammer shotgun
 - lever and pump action cartridge rifles

I work assiduously to enlighten and convert the ignorant to the use of the One True Powder, and thus to forsake the heathen powder.  By producing copious clouds of true white smoke at all tournaments I attend, I bring attention to, and interest in, the Holy Soot.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:02:32 PM »
Mako;  I had you figured as being educated in various sorts of Alchemy as an engineer.  You have studied the texts, and put your learning to use in fabricating forms of munitions for Gonnes. That make you LEARNED and an ARTISAN.  There may be some merit in your claim to be a BROTHER AT ARMES as well, but I had it in mind that what was important was that the propellant should be the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE.  Time for learned discourse?

Oh, and what about all those illluminated diagrams you produce so readily?

Blackpowder Burn;  You sound like a BROTHER AT ARMES to me.  So be it.

Members of the Order of all ranks may make submissions and raise issues.  We are feeling our way through this! I often need prompting from time to time as I fit the second definition of "ancient"!

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »
Mako no offense taken...I by no means see myself in the same vein as you, john boy, raven (dang i wish i had an ounce of that craftmanship) and countless others.

I was merely using the definitions provided in the charter above and what I have done since being consumed by the Holy Black:)

I will stand by for any clarifications and appreciate the effort being taken upon here.

Thanks SCDB!

V/r PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »
Sir Charles, thanks a bunch. I strive to prove myself worthy of the nomination.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
Mako no offense taken...I by no means see myself in the same vein as you, john boy, raven (dang i wish i had an ounce of that craftmanship) and countless others.

I was merely using the definitions provided in the charter above and what I have done since being consumed by the Holy Black:)

I will stand by for any clarifications and appreciate the effort being taken upon here.

Thanks SCDB!

V/r PR

Thanks PR, I wasn't trying to be snooty or elitist, I was just trying to understand what the title meant.  The way Sir Charles has explained it is the way I took it when I read it.

You have done a lot and the longest running thread on this forum proves it.  I definitely think there needs to be recognition for that.

Regards,
Mako

Offline Mako

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
 There may be some merit in your claim to be a BROTHER AT ARMES as well, but I had it in mind that what was important was that the propellant should be the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE.  Time for learned discourse?

Sir Charles,
We are talking the Ancient Powder here...  The military keeps GOEX in business, if it weren't for all of the military uses then they would be out of business.  I mean good old fashioned Powder; Charcoal, Potassium Nitrate and Sulfur.

Real Powder is used in almost every fuze initiator for large caliber projectiles and bombs.  In many cases it is also a part of the booster in the priming train.  The military (usually contractors) use tons and tons of GOEX BP every year for those proposes.  So as I said anyone who was in the artillery, naval gunnery or in a ground attack squadron then they have used the Ancient Substance (though of modern manufacture) in combat. 

Regards,
Mako

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
I am working through those who have posted on the initial thread and all submissions threafter. The is some catching up to do.

Pony Racer;  Submission approved.  Your accolites in the VA Fire & Brimstone Posse should be recorded on this roll.  Perhaps you could submit your list with recommended rank.

Other clubs with numbers of prospective members could do the same.   National and Regional PALADINS could get involved in this process.

BTW;  Who is the Swedish BP shooter who fires cannons?  Was it QBall?

Mako;  I just noted your explanation.  I am inclined to agree.  Anyone else have any remarks in this DISCOURSE?

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Wahooooooooooo ;D

I will submit the names soon!

Thanks for noting the F&B Posse thread - one of my good friends and I started it as just a small group of folks  for fun and sharing about the one true powder...I was suprised how it grew quickly and how I then got involved with supporting events and such.

I have a small pin that  says "Darksider Posse" with skull and crossbones.

Maybe we should come up with a small design and do up a pin or something?  I will take this on if there is interest!

Just let me know.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
Pony Racer;  I'd like to see proposals for a crest/pin. 

Two Walks Baldridge;  Thanks for offering to have the covenant rendered in pdf format.  Hopfully it would have a parchment look.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »
BTW;  Who is the Swedish BP shooter who fires cannons?  Was it QBall?
Sir Charles, Qball is the 1st WartHog from Sweden but searching his posts couldn't find that he is a cannon-er.  Calamity Jane up in Canada is the one who made and shoots cannons.  She was active on The Frontier Spot but dropped off the map when that forum died
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »
ANCIENT & GRAND MASTER - There should only be one person of such notable stature.  Nominations please.

Berthold Schwarz, a German monk, is sometimes credited with the invention of gunpowder, based on his improvements to the Roger Bacon formula. He took the name of Berthold in religion, to which was appended the adjective Schwarz (black), either on account of the color of his habit or because he was looked on as being addicted to the black art. It was in the course of his studies in alchemy that he discovered the explosive properties of gunpowder, which he applied to firearms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthold_Schwarz

or ...
Zeng Gongliang and Yang Weide in AD 1044 ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gunpowder
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com