Author Topic: Drop Tube  (Read 885 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Drop Tube
« on: August 14, 2023, 07:10:40 AM »
Gentlemen, For those of you who use a drop tube, how long of one do you use?  I'm fixing to build one 36" long.  Is that overkill?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Drop Tube
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 08:29:06 AM »

In my opinion the tube should reach almost to the breach with just enough room left for your charge. The idea is to keep any powder grains from touching the rifling on the way down. This keeps the grains from being crushed and the fall helps them to settle together. The settling makes for the charge occupying a smaller area and a more even burn of the powder.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
Most guys I talk to use 24". That's also the length of the one Shiloh sells. Mine is 24" FWIW.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:35 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 09:04:44 AM »
Mine too is 24".   

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 03:10:39 PM »
The drop tube that came with my Lyman B.P. measure is 24" also, I believe Lyman has some credentials when it comes to loading Black.

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 07:26:56 AM »
Sounds good!  Think I'll probably go with 24'.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 08:19:22 AM »

In my opinion the tube should reach almost to the breach with just enough room left for your charge. The idea is to keep any powder grains from touching the rifling on the way down. This keeps the grains from being crushed and the fall helps them to settle together. The settling makes for the charge occupying a smaller area and a more even burn of the powder.
Lucky  ;D

Are we talking about a drop tube for loading metallic cartridges, or is this for loading a muzzleloading rifle?  I've never seen a drop tube for a front-stuffer, although if precision is paramount, it may be a good idea for the reasons mentioned here.  Whether it would be practical in the field is another question.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 06:59:29 PM »
The one I usually use is about 27" long (it used to be an aluminum arrow shaft). 

When I was trying to maximize the amount of powder I could get into a 45 Colt case, I experimented some with a 36" tube.  It didn't seem to give much improvement in compacting the powder grains, and velocities were no more consistent. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 08:43:26 AM »
Are we talking about a drop tube for loading metallic cartridges, or is this for loading a muzzleloading rifle?  I've never seen a drop tube for a front-stuffer, although if precision is paramount, it may be a good idea for the reasons mentioned here.  Whether it would be practical in the field is another question.

I was talking about use for long range muzzleloading rifles as I have used in international competition with the U.S.I.M.L.T. I have also used them with cartridges used in long range competition with a Browning Creedmoor rifle chambered in 45-90. Powder grains poured slowly through a drop tube will settle them, allowing more powder in the case than just dumping it in with a charger. I got too old and fat to compete, but I still know how to do it. If you haven't done it, don't knock it.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 10:03:45 AM »
I certainly didn't mean to knock it;  :)I'd just never heard of it.  My dad never carried a drop tube when muzzleloader hunting, so I haven't either.  Nor have I ever used one for target shooting, but then I've never been to a muzzleloader competition.  For precision shooting, it seems like it would have all the advantages of a drop tube for cartridges, with the additional benefits you mentioned about keeping the powder off the rifling.  As they say, you learn something old every day!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com