Special Interests - Groups & Societies > STORM

R&D verses Kirst

(1/3) > >>

Andrew Quigley:
Well this might be a can of worms but thought I'd ask around. The Kirst is 289 and the R&D is 225. Add the price for either them doing the work or you doing it and buying the tools and renting the jig and R&D's is about them same price.
 Course ya still got to do the loading slot for the Kirst ya self for that price. Would ya rather drill holes in ya frame or a little rattling from the Kirst as I heard they do?

warbucks16:
Being an owner and user of both Kirst & R&D, I feel that the Kirst is the better choice. If you are a do it yourselfer it is a much easier installation. In addition the tolerances are more forgving when installing and using.

My arsenal includes 3, 1851 Navies in 38 Long Colt, 1, 1858 army Remy in 45 Long Colt and 1, Ruger Old Army in 45 Long Colt.

An example of the tolerance is on my R&D 38 Long Colt if the crimp is a little to heavy they will not fit into the cylinder, on the other hand the Kirst again is more forgiving and slips right in. On my  45 Long Colt the R&D will not accept the 45 Long Colt and the 45 schofield without modification, the Kirst will accept both without a modification.

Accuracy seems to be about the same and is dictated by the quality of your revolver and your expertise at using it.

As far as quality goes they are both extremely well made but for overall use and convenience the Kirst Gets my vote.

Hope this helps.

E-Mail me or post again if you would like more specifics.

Warbucks16

Montana Slim:
I've worked with both Kirst and R&D. On the Colt-type, per this forum, I prefer the R&D gated conversion to the Kirst, 'course I may be prejudiced. The gate operates easier due to it's construction. Also the firing pin retention is better. Kirst is easy to remove for cleaning & easier to install.

Slim

Advertising:

Andrew Quigley:
Dang! looks like it might come down to a coin toss! Thanks for the info. I don't mind doing the work myself but I have some many projects going I hate to start another one. Course R&D said turn around time is 30 to 90 days.
 I don't shoot this pistol much right now and really want it for a shoot coming up in October so I have time I just need to get er done I reckon!

warbucks16:
Please take R&D's time estimate with some skepticism. I sent them two barrels to be lined and ejector installed on one,  they also gave me a 90 days estimate. After waiting 6 months, the one for lining was finally returned to me. It had been lined but what began as a new barrel came back with many scuffs and abarsions that never did polish out, and the bore full of grease and metal shavings. After a year of promising me the other barrel "NEXT WEEK", I requested that it be returned to me as is. It again came back to me with many scuffs.

From what I was told by their personnel , Kenny Howell does all the gunsmithing and although
 he is an excellent gunsmith it appears he is overwhelmed with work.

Hope you have better luck.

Warbucks16

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version