Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Remington Rolling Block

(1/2) > >>

klausg:
Hey gang-

I posted this on the gunsmith forum but I think I may have better luck here.  I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me out.  I've got a roller that I'm planning to do a complete re-build on; I'll paste the description I posted on Remington Society of America's forum below to save me some typing:

The tang reads, "REMINGTON ARMS CO. // ILION, N.Y. U.S.A. // PATENTED OCTR 22nd 1901, (slashes indicate seperate lines). On top of the reciever is a serial # (?) of 22208, stamped. Approximately 8" back from the muzzle it is stamped "CAL 7MM". The only other markings I can find are on the under side of the barrel at the reciever. There is a long horizontal dash that almost connects to a stylized 'P' (possibly a 'D') the 'P' has a 'tail' on it that continues down and loops back to the left ending with what looks like a fish hook barb. There is an approx 3/16" hole bored approx 1/16" deep at this point. There is the remnant of another dash intersecting this hole, followed by a 'Y', (maybe a'V'), and finally a 2. The buttstock has the number '710', appears to have been put in with a nail, (the 7 is European style with a dash). above that is a '2d' that was done a little better. There are also a set of initials 'GC' carved, (not very well), into the buttstock. It is a carbine, barrel length is approx 20.5" and there is a saddle ring. Any help I could get with the identification and or dating would be greatly appreciated; thanks much.

So far no one on that board has given me any info as to what model roller I have;  I have gotten information from other forums and some research which lead me to believe that it is a Model 1, or at least those are the parts that will fit, (it's also referred to as a Model 5 or 1902).  My dilemma is this, I need to replace all of the exterior screws and both the hammer & block pins.  I plan on having the receiver engraved and then satin nickeled to a 'French grey' and my fear is that by the time I polish the pins/screws I won't have enough metal left to work.  The screws were fairly buggered before I started on them, (I still have one more to go, & that one may need an easy-out). 

Does anyone out there know of some place I can get the screws?  Numrich has some, but not all; Wisners has no screws.  Also, I am planning on re-barreling, any suggestions as to caliber?  .45-70 isn't quite nifty enough; I'd like to be able to load smokeless as dealing with BP fouling is a pain, especially in the winter up here, (Alaska).  My main use for this weapon, (other than putting holes in paper) would be black bear over bait and possibly moose, (I'll leave the brown bears to my .375 H&H).  I would like to keep the saddle ring, so I think a long tube would look a little silly; though I do want a longer barrell than the current one.  I'm thinking 24-26" would be about right.  Can anyone suggest a cartridge that won't suffer too greatly from the shorter barrel?  I'd like to be shooting a 350-450gr cast bullet, I think a 400gr cast with around 50gr or so of 3031 behind it will put the lights out on most everything up here.  I like the idea of a .40 caliber, mainly because I don't have one; would a .405 Win be out of the question?  I'd also like some input as to sights; in keeping the SRC concept, albeit a slightly long barrel, I think that tang sights may look nearly as silly on a short barrel as a saddle ring would on a 32" tube.  I like the idea of a 2-3 leaf express sight, but I think that may be too British.  Anyway, thanks in advance for any help/advice/input you can give me.  Take care & God Bless

-SSG Klaus

Fox Creek Kid:
Firstly, the gun is approx. 100 yrs. old. The action was made when metallurgy was still "birthing". I would NOT chamber it for a modern smokeless round. If you want a .405 then buy a modern Winchester lever action. The original 7 X 57 Mauser was a mild cartridge by today's standards. I'm assuming by your post that you are not a BP cartridge shooter, but perhaps I'm wrong. I would avoid smokeless in any old firearm as it has an initial pressure curve different than even the hottest BP load. Just my two cents worth.  ;)

Delmonico:
If it is a 7mm then it is a #5 rather than a #1 and was proofed for nitro rounds in the 55,000 psi range and is made of steel rather than case hardened iron.  If you want a good smokless round to use, consider the 30-40 Krag, a round that was considered big enough for anything on this Continent with a 220 gr RN.  I also think the #5 was offered in this chambering.  I know it was offered in 30-o6, but I would stay away from one of this higher pressure level.

At one time a lot of 257 Roberts were made into Varnmint rifles on this action, this is not the modern +P Roberts load though.

Advertising:

fender57vneck:
Sounds to me like you might have a Uruguay army 1902 rolling block made by Remington.

Dusty Ed:
Howdy Pard
You can get screws from Idaho's Cutting Edge , He advertizes in the Single Shot exchange.
I tried to find it, but no luck.
I've gotten them frm him for a Mod 44 Stevens perfect fit.
If I find the Phone number I will post it.
If you were to go to www.bpcr.net.
I'm sure some there can help.
Dusty Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version