Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Spencer Shooting Society

M1871 Springfield Spencer Shooting 50-45 Cartridges

(1/9) > >>

ndnchf:
FWIW - I have a M1871 Springfield Spencer that is nominally chambered in .56-50, but it actually takes a .50-45 length cartridge. I put a centerfire block in it and shoot .50-45.  Not the same as a .50-70, but a bit more powerful and could be suitable for a bison at close range.  Here are the two rounds side by side.

El Supremo:
Hello, Ndnchief:

Thanks fot the photo of the two ctg's.
Fascinating length difference.
Does the longer one cycle from magazine into the chamber, please?
Thanks.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

ndnchf:

--- Quote from: El Supremo on August 04, 2021, 05:42:58 AM ---Hello, Ndnchief:

Thanks fot the photo of the two ctg's.
Fascinating length difference.
Does the longer one cycle from magazine into the chamber, please?
Thanks.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

--- End quote ---

Yes, the 50-45s cycle fine. The 56-50s will not cycle in it.  Here is a video I made about it with a shooting demo.

Advertising:

ndnchf:

--- Quote from: umc1984 on August 04, 2021, 06:25:01 AM ---I have not done a chamber cast. The rifle bore is 52 cal. It is still a rimfire.

--- End quote ---

You really need to slug the bore to find the actual bore and groove diameter.  Then you'll know what you are dealing with.  Its a great rifle, I hope you will get it shooting!

El Supremo:
Thanks, Ndnchief:

Viewed your video before, but did not know of the longer ctg.

I recall reading that one significsnt limitition of the 1860 and 1865 Spencer's was that ctg's longer than 56-50 would not cycle.  Your work proves otherwise!

What are the OAL's of the case and longer ctg, please?

Since a shorter 56-50 will not cycle, what is the mechanical change that enables the longer round to fully cycle, please?

Many thanks.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version