Author Topic: rebulding a Spencer rifle  (Read 886 times)

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
rebulding a Spencer rifle
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
Just joined.
I recently found a Spencer receiver for sale. It had one of the lower pivot tabs broken off.
I repaired it using silver solder.
I got interested in building a Spencer after reading a book.
A little background on me. Wouldn't doubt some of the members know me. I used to do gunsmithing at a local shop near Kleinfeltersville in Pa.
Did a lot of action jobs on the cowboy shooter's firearms. Always liked working on the old firearms.
Back to the Spencer. I'm gathering parts here and there to build the rifle.
This may be heresy but I'm using a .501 bore Green Mountain barrel. One reason being I have .500 S&W cases. Which I am trimming down to 1.1". I bought a .501" 350gr mold from Accurate Molds for the bullet. Also I can get a chamber reamer for the .500 cheaper than a 56-56 or 56-50. Or just use a boring bar and bore out the chamber.
I've been reading how to do various work on the Spencer. Great information.
So as I go along I'll try to post what I have done.
I intend to make my own butt stock and forend also. Among other parts. Like the back action lock. Did that when I built a Howdah pistol.
A picture of the Spencer repair. Still have to clean up some solder. I used a piece of 1018 and case hardened it. I had already drilled a hole for the 14-24 threads. So after tapping the hole and fitting the lower to the receiver the repair is holding up very well.
I figured using Brownells hiforce-low temp solder would work fine.
I will say one thing. That receiver is as hard as diamonds.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: rebulding a Spencer rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »
Oh, yes, please do keep us updated. Welcome!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »
I will definitely do that. I'm glad I can get that abused receiver back in operation again. This will be a fun build. Unlike one I'm currently working on.
Another build was building a complete rifle from a Century Gras MLE1871 barreled action. Scrounged up the bolt parts and some other parts. Made a stock from a hard maple plank I bought at the planing mill.
Those old Gras rifles were France's Trapdoor Springfield. 11mm caliber. Big old rimmed cartridge.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:16:25 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com