CAS TOPICS > Shooter's Meeting

New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot

(1/7) > >>

CryptoDave:
Hi everyone,

Pardon the title but I really need some advice.

I'm a new shooter and went to my first local shoot.

I introduced myself to the man n charge and told him I'm a brand spakin new shooter. He said no worries and introduced me to the group as a newb.

When it was my turn to shoot I was so nervous I was shaking like a leaf, but I was damned determined to do it. I have been practicing everyday at home dry shooting and going to my local indoor range to shoot. But, as soon as I got up there, everything I practiced went out the door as my nerves kicked in. As time went on during the match, my nerves settled down a bit.

But here's what really pissed me off, one of the more experienced shooters who is a regular at this club, gave me some advice. Now I'm totally open to advice, hell im a new shooter so I feel I can learn from anyone. But this shooter started off with comments like "why the hell are you holding your rifle this way......" and "what's with the shakes?" Not only did he make me feel stupid, he made me feel unwelcome.

All I've heard is that Cowboy Shooters are some of the nicest people, but from my experience part of me doesn't want to go back. But I really do like the sport and want to continue and I'm sure as hell not going to be pushed out. Unfortunately this is the closest local club to where I live. I decided to continue my practice and go back.

Just not sure what to do when this big mouth fires off next time. Part of me wants to say "look if you've got some advice I'm all ears, but otherwise keep it to yoursel" but I know this will be starting  me off on the wrong foot, especially with a what appears to be tight if not "clicky" group.

Any advice?

River City John:
People forget they were just the same when they were newbies, too.

Like the line out of "Magnificent 7", when asked if his hands were sweaty and mouth dry, "Every time."

Adrenaline kicks in before a shooting a new stage.

Keep on going, get to know the people, most likely the old veteran was just trying to help you relax. Just give it no never mind. Ask a lot of questions about things you're curious about, talk firearms and equipment, and observe how people shoot stages. Pitch in and help with running the posse, too. Show them you're willing to be a part.
I guarantee you your next match with them will seem more relaxed and comfortable.

Have fun and welcome to the sport.

RCJ

Jeremiah Jones:
Wish I had some advice, other than look farther off, for a better group. I am a semi-outsider myself.  20 years ago, I shot with a group near St. Louis (most of us drove work pickups).  If a FNG showed up in blue jeans, flannel shirt and work boots, we would welcome him and help him.  5 years ago, I went to a group near Atlanta.  Most members drove German cars and the few pickups looked like they had just come off the showroom floor.  I was treated like *^$%.  My Rossi 1892 in .45 Colt was not authentic.  I should throw it in the garbage and get a $3,000 rifle with a $1,500 action job; my pants were the wrong weight wool, etc., .etc.  I found another group to shoot with.  It was a lot longer drive, but well worth it.

Advertising:

Baltimore Ed:
We all were new shooters once. We shouldn't forget that and when a newbe comes out to play our game we need to make him comfortable. He's under plenty of self induced stress. Keep him and us safe and let him have some fun. Hang in there Dave, be a helper bee, pick up brass, reset targets or carry long guns. Work the match and watch how the other cowboys shoot the stage. They'll show you the best way to shoot it. By working you'll be seen as an asset. I've been to shoots where cowboys feel that they paid their money and so they don't have to do any work. Don't be disheartened. After a while, 'shooter ready, beep ' won't be so scary. Mostly, just have fun.

CryptoDave:
Thanks guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version