Author Topic: TL's 56-50 at Murietta  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
TL's 56-50 at Murietta
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:54 AM »
Well, I went to Murietta Possee match at Ione, CA sunday. I brought my Henry and 56-50 Spencer.  The rifle targets were all not very stout (like the heavy ones at Yolo), so I opted not to ask to use the Spencer as a main match rifle.  I shot the match clean with the Henry and a pair of .44 Colt Richards Masons.

Afterwards, Judge Hemp (SSS#44) and I adjorned to an empty range.  He has several original 56-56 spencers (one that was my first Spencer), but had not fired the Taylor's 56-50.  He loved it.

We put a small, narrow plastic water bottle (12 oz, I think) on a stick at 25 yards.  Standing, off-hand we fired at the bottle. Right off, he got 3 of 6 to hit it, and I got 4 of 7 to hit it.  The misses were all just to the right or left.

The action was smooth and never had a hitch.  I am using Starline brass, the Buffalo arms custom 350/.512 Spencer mold, seated to, and crimped in, the crimp groove.  The charge was 2.5 CC LEE dipper (about 40 grains volume) of Hodgdon's Triple Seven.

I have lightened the sear portion of the main spring to lighten the trigger pull.  I think I will lighten it a little more.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com