Author Topic: Some authors I recommend for Old West fiction...  (Read 27485 times)

Offline dogngun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some authors I recommend for Old West fiction...
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
I read a lot, sometimes 4-5 books a week, for the last 40 years or so. I have also published a few articles and other things over the years, although by no means am I known and certainly not rich from it.

The authors I highly recommend for this are only these 3:

Dee Brown-He wrote  very accurate and interesting histories as well as fiction. He was one of the great historians of the period.Died in 2002.

Larry McMurtry-Hat Creek Cattle Co...great overall writer, but he loves the old west and does it very well.

Forrest Carter- Navajo. Wrote the 2 books that became Josey Wales. Also wrote a wonderful book on Geronomo and a book on his life  as a young boy in the west. Died very young.

I know of no one better.

Just my opinion, of course.

mark

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Some authors I recommend for Old West fiction...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
 ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »
I read a lot, sometimes 4-5 books a week, for the last 40 years or so. I have also published a few articles and other things over the years, although by no means am I known and certainly not rich from it.

The authors I highly recommend for this are only these 3:

Dee Brown-He wrote  very accurate and interesting histories as well as fiction. He was one of the great historians of the period.Died in 2002.

Larry McMurtry-Hat Creek Cattle Co...great overall writer, but he loves the old west and does it very well.

Forrest Carter- Navajo. Wrote the 2 books that became Josey Wales. Also wrote a wonderful book on Geronomo and a book on his life  as a young boy in the west. Died very young.

I know of no one better.

Just my opinion, of course.

mark

I sure have to disagree with you pard.  The first two you mention both play fast and loose with history.  Especially McMurtry. In one of his books he has the renegade kid hang judge Roy Bean from his own porch!  That never happened and so much else that I have a hard time reading his stuff. ???

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:23:29 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
Is that why he said "fiction"?

I agree, though, if the fiction is so far off base historically, it is hard to take it seriously.  That's kind of like movies where historical figures fail to die on time or die in the wrong way.  If a movie about Wyatt Earp pictures Doc Holliday as a surgeon or MD, I pretty much have to turn it off.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Based on the first two i won't even bother to check out the last one.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
I've come to regard McMurtry as a Western Surrealist. His books are entertaining, but, as far as historical...welllllll....
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
Ralph Compton.  Great writer, and VERY accurate to history.  The only historical mistake I've found is a .45 Colt Cartridge Conversion in winter of 1865 in "Dawn of Fury."  Another is J.T.Edson.  Great at writing, historically accurate and very entertaining. 
Ralph Cotton is okay, if you don't mind a little gore.  Jack Ketchum is a little odd, but he wrote the first western I ever read.  I'll have to finish the book I'm writing and see what y'all think of it.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Ranger Joe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »
Ralph Compton.  Great writer, and VERY accurate to history.  The only historical mistake I've found is a .45 Colt Cartridge Conversion in winter of 1865 in "Dawn of Fury."  Another is J.T.Edson.  Great at writing, historically accurate and very entertaining. 
Ralph Cotton is okay, if you don't mind a little gore.  Jack Ketchum is a little odd, but he wrote the first western I ever read.  I'll have to finish the book I'm writing and see what y'all think of it.

--TK

JT Edson? I'm surprised to see his books recommended. I read many of his books as a teenager, and finally gave up after reading the same detailed descriptions of Dusty's (IIRC) firearms and ju-jitsu skills for about the 20th time. If you'd read one of his books you could skip whole pages of any of his other books that you read.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »
It's more interesting than sitting around being bored. ::)
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Ranger Joe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
It's more interesting than sitting around being bored. ::)

True indeed. Books really are a matter of personal taste. Actually,I remember reading an article about JT Edson some years ago. It seems he had a wall of guns (mostly replicas I believe) that he used for research and inspiration in his writing.

EDIT: I just found a link to the article! http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1948&dat=19790811&id=4_IiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pswFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2478,4116263

My favourite western author is definitely Loius L'Amour, but I've read books by many others from Zane Grey to George Gilman (no historical accuracy there at all!).

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
Louis L'Amour is great.  If you haven't read Compton, you should, they are very similar.

--TK

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »
I'm very proud that both of my novels have accurate historical references.  Sure wish more folks would read them.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Ranger Joe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:50 PM »
Louis L'Amour is great.  If you haven't read Compton, you should, they are very similar.

--TK

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look for his books.

Joe

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Forty Rod, what're the titles?  Give me the titles, and I'll read 'em. ;D

--TK

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
Available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.  They won't have them in stock but can get them.

Legends

Cavanaugh: The Last Bounty

Both by Tom "FortyRod" Taylor.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them.

Thanks for asking.

Tom

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Frank O'Rourke - "A Mule for the Marquesa," origin for the film "The Professionals." Getting very hard to find.

Cormac McCarthy - "Blood Meridian." A modern classic and the hardest-a$$ed western ever written. Takes a strong stomach and no illusions about how nice our ancestors were.

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Forty Rod, I just put both books on my kindle, looking forward to reading them.

Grapevine Jimmy
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
Forty Rod, just downloaded "Cavanaugh:The Last Bounty" on my IPad. It's a great western novel. As good as they come! I'm about 1/3 Of the way through it. We are in Colorado skiing and will be snowed in tomorrow so I'll be able to finish it. "Legend" is not available on my IPad so I'll order it from Barnes.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Thanks, Gents. I'm right proud of Legends and Bounty is pretty good, too.

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
I just finished "Cavanaugh:The Last Bounty" and enjoyed it very much. I kept waiting for him to get thoes new Smith's into action. Any chance the first three are going to be published?

GJ
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com