Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Spencer Shooting Society

Barrel re-lining

<< < (2/2)

Rosoce Coles:
Hey Dino:
   I thought that mighty be you but I didn't know that you owned a spencer.  Send me an Email and lets catch up.  mblanchard@gbis.com.  I'd love to look at your 65.

Take Care

Morgan

chas_harsbro:
Roscoe--
I was just at trackofthewolf.com and noticed that they sell 50-70 liners! Wonder if this would work for a Spencer? Assuming you could find a chambering reamer!?
Charlie ;D

French Jack:
Bob Hoyt would be your best bet.  He is a barrel maker, and makes his own liners.  They are excellent quality, and he does almost all the relining of originals as well as rebarreling for the reenactment crowd.
I don't think that you want to use a 50-70 barrel, as it is slightly undersize.  The 56-50 is a nominal .512 groove diameter, and the 50-70 is a .508.  This in itself is not a insurmountable problem, but the dimensions on the chambering reamers and the reloading dies may leave you with less than ideal working dimensions in the throat of the chamber.
Bob can give you an estimate on time if you call him, and he guarantees his work.  He has many hundreds of satisfied customers.

Advertising:

chas_harsbro:
F.J. - what you say about Bob Hoyt is undoubtedly true. I've followed the NSSA and reenactor crowd for some years and it seems he certainly deserves the fine reputation he has.
Charlie

#31:
Another vote for Bobby Hoyt.  Were that cloning was possible.  Some time back Pietta produced a run of replica Smith carbines for Navy Arms that featured a barrel that had a wider bore diameter at the muzzle than at the breech.  Made for some "funny" groups.  This was not discovered until many of us bought them.  I had one, had Bobby reline the barrel, and now it shoots better than I can hold it.  Bobby is busy, yes, but knows what he is about, and is well worth the time and money.
Steve Sullivan
46th Illinois, N-SSA
Co. Mil. Hist.
and other stuff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version