Author Topic: Rock Creek Trail Days June 6-7  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rock Creek Trail Days June 6-7
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
The Annual Rock Creek Trail Days will be June 6-7 this year.  Located near Fairbury Nebraska, this is the same Rock Creek Station where Wild Bill Hickok killed Dave McCandless in 1861.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?state=NE&cat=Rock+Creek+Station+State+Historical+Park#a/search/l::::NE::US:41.393951:-99.7267:state::1/m::15:40.117274:-97.062659:0:::::/so:Rock+Creek+Station+State+Historical+Park:::r::25:::NE::/e

More information:
http://www.nps.gov/poex/planyourvisit/site5.htm

The Living History demos will range from the fur trade era to the 1880's, some pictures from last year.

The stage out of the Pony Express Muesum in Marysville Kansas:

1860 picture of the East Ranch:

Today, near the same spot:

The gunfight will be ren-acted a couple times a day, which means there will be some shooting:

And killing:

We have postal service:

The food ain't bad:

If any one is interested in coming down, send me a PM.  For anyone who has been wanting to learn dutch oven cooking, here's your chance, if you have ever wanted to get into doing Living History, here is your change.  If you do not really do any old time skills, no matter, just put on your historal clothing and hang around with me, I'll be glad to get you going, if nothing else I'm always needing someone to grab my camera and help me get pictures.  Also it is helpful to have a couple extras at times that can give a brief overview of what the cooks are doing.

My plan is to get down there sometime before noon on the 5th and get set up, there is modern camping with some provisions for horses and trails to ride.  Also there is plenty of primative camping on both the East and West Ranch, I will be set up on the west Ranch.

There will be at least two blacksmiths in the blacksmith shop and there will be many other demos of old time skills, I will post more information of these when I get them, since we are just in the early planning stages.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rock Creek Trail Days June 6-7
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
BTT

The June NEBRASKAland magazine has an article on RCS, ain't seen it, subsribers are getting it now, will be on the news stands and their website soon.  Guess there's a picture of me in it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Is it the same pitcher that's hangin in the post office?

I'd love ta make this event, but again this year is a no go.  I'll be watching one of our other friends in a mounted shoot that weekend much closer ta home.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:52 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »
We'll be thinking about ya, Leo.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
I will have to take a look at that article (if I can bear it :o)
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »
I'll post as soon as it's on-line, but for now I was sent a scan of the picture with me:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
Shotgun Del!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com