Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Need a little help

(1/2) > >>

Kanza Kurt:
Delmonico and Friends:

I have read this post for sometime.  Thanks for all of the insight on the myraid of topics.  I am thinking about purchasing a buffalo rifle and came across one today in 45-120.  This would not be my caliber of choice as I would prefer a 45-70 b/c of brass, load recipes, etc.  Anyway the guy with the rifle told me I could shoot any other 45 caliber i.e. 45-70 45-90 in this rifle b/c they of course are the same caliber.  The way he explained it was think of shooting a 2 3/4 shotgun round in a 3.5" chamber.  This has left me rather confused and feeling a little ignorant  ??? Any help from the guys and gals of thisboard would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kurt

Delmonico:
It can be done in a pinch, such as the Lakota coming close and you are out, but are hunkered with some soldier boys with plenty of 45-70.  These rounds are not straight ones like 38/357 or 22 Short/22 LR.  The bullet at the point of the length of the 45-70 mouth will be bigger than the neck dia, of the round.  it will bump up and will have to squeeze back down as it nears the end of the chamber, this will not help accuracy and will have a tendancy to lead.  Also it will work the braas a lot as it expands more than inteanded.  Yes it can be done but is not the best idea.

Fox Creek Kid:
You'll ruin the chamber. These are not like say shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Magnum. The owner of Shiloh Sharps, Kirk Bryan, has mentioned on his website several times about having to rebarrel rifles where owners have done this. Don't do it.

Advertising:

Delmonico:
As a side note here, Weatherby has seen a lot of rifles ruined in 270 Weatherby by folks thinking they could shoot 270 winchester as a light load, this is even a worse idea. ::)

Fox Creek Kid:
Worse yet, I've seen countless people come to a public range I frequent with Win. 300 SM for a 300 Win. Mag.  ::)  I was shooting besides a fellow one day who had a brand new Ed Brown $2000 pistol & he was having all kinds of problems. His gun was .45 ACP & the moron at a major retailer sold him .45 GAP ammo!  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version