Author Topic: A question on guards  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A question on guards
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
In looking at pictures of antique bowies I see some have large protective quillions and some do not. I'm wondering if the knives with small guards were never intended as fighting knives, or the large protective gaurds were found to be less important in time. I ask because a large guard seem like an easy enough feature to include on a fighting knife yet many are without. Thanks

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A question on guards
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
I think it was largely a matter of the maker's sense of design and esthetics. Most Bowies had rather short guards. Some had large, extravagant guards, sometimes S-curved like the Musso Bowie. The so-called Natchez Bowies had no guard at all. The Natchez Bowies also had rather short, deep-bellied blades that made them excellent hunting and skinning knives. Then there were the famous D-hilt Bowies of the Civil War, which were intended solely as weapons. I would say that it was mostly a matter of design, except for the utilitarian Natchez pattern.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
I've been watchin this guy for years..he has a couple of vids on utube also

http://www.mountainhollow.net/bowieknives2.htm
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:38:58 PM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:29:11 AM »
Thanks guys, the impression I get is that few bowies were used exclusively as fighting knives but more as utility tools. Hence the popularity of less protective guards. That sound about right?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »
The Bowie was popular as a fighting knife in an era of single-shot pistols, when one shot may not be enough and a quick strike could save your skin.

The larger hilt carried over to some of the early ones used by Southern units in the Civil War, but the preponderance of reliable revolvers, and the unweildliness of the thing when used for general camp chores saw a lessening of its popularity.

Soldiers want 'useful' things, and soon divest themselves of those items don't prove to be so.

The need for a large knife continued after the War - but in a bit smaller size, and the Bowies were scaled down somewhat, since the clip-point blade proved quite useful for a number of things, and not 'just' as a weapon.

Those are the knives seen on the belts of the drovers and soldiers and others with a need for them and not those massive varieties used by the Free Trappers of an earlier time.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com