Author Topic: Just noticed something odd about my uberti 1873 carbine  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just noticed something odd about my uberti 1873 carbine
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Underside of the butt stock.  Third screw from the back directly under the lever handle is out and a little loose. I unscrewed it all the way out into my hand.  Doesn’t seem to serve any purpose.  Screwed it back in until it stopped but it wouldn’t go all the way in to where it was completely flush with the butt stock frame. 
It is not interfering with anything.  The rifle works fine.  But I just thought that odd.  What is that?   Is that normal?    This gun is brand new straight from the factory to me as a warranty replacement. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Just noticed something odd about my uberti 1873 carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
That is the strain screw for the main spring.  No need for it on a brand new rifle with stock springs, but with a tuned rifle and/or weak mainspring, it can be used to get a little more spring tension if primers are not getting hit hard enough to pop.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
That is the strain screw for the main spring.  No need for it on a brand new rifle with stock springs, but with a tuned rifle and/or weak mainspring, it can be used to get a little more spring tension if primers are not getting hit hard enough to pop.

Is it supposed to be sticking out a little?   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:05 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
Check to see if it has a loose nut behind the lever  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
don't forget to check the removable, organic, carbon-based control module.

Reverend Chase

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »

Well Played Reverend   ;D

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Is it supposed to be sticking out a little?   

In actual reply, I don't believe that it is a cause for concern.  I personally tighten that screw until it touches the mainspring and stop.  Uberti mainsprings generally don't need more tension.  When you screw it in, as it tightens against the mainspring, it will get harder to turn as it presses on the spring.  I imagine that you could get it to screw in flush if you turn hard enough, but it's only going to serve to make your action harder to cycle.

Now, Coffinmaker and others here are much more familiar with this and possibly will step in and correct me, but this is my take on it (not having seen your gun).  Hopefully that helps.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:44 PM »
In actual reply, I don't believe that it is a cause for concern.  I personally tighten that screw until it touches the mainspring and stop.  Uberti mainsprings generally don't need more tension.  When you screw it in, as it tightens against the mainspring, it will get harder to turn as it presses on the spring.  I imagine that you could get it to screw in flush if you turn hard enough, but it's only going to serve to make your action harder to cycle.

Now, Coffinmaker and others here are much more familiar with this and possibly will step in and correct me, but this is my take on it (not having seen your gun).  Hopefully that helps.

CC Griff

Sounds right to me - just would add - cock the rifle first before turning the screw in to touch the spring otherwise you likely are adding some extra (not needed) tension to it .
My early Ubertis (1970's vintage) were ok but a 76 bought a couple years back was ridiculously oversprung.

If the gun is firing ok with no added spring tension from the strain screw and the screw is interfering with the lever closing fully (a possibility on some gunz) - then no harm will come from removing the screw - put it away safe in a sandwich bag appropriately labeled

For Doug - if you dont understand how this works - take the buttstock off of your rifle - and then you can see what that little screw does as you tighten or loosen it and also how the mainspring flexes as you cock the action.   

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »
Check to see if it has a loose nut behind the lever  ;D
;)
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:53:11 PM »
I agree that no extra tension is needed on a stock spring.  Nate Kiowa Jones has posted in the past on how to adjust it if you have a competition spring.  Although I do not recall exactly, it was something like loosen the main spring screw 1 turn (?), then screw in the strain screw until it contacts the spring, then tighten down the main spring screw.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
I agree that no extra tension is needed on a stock spring.  Nate Kiowa Jones has posted in the past on how to adjust it if you have a competition spring.  Although I do not recall exactly, it was something like loosen the main spring screw 1 turn (?), then screw in the strain screw until it contacts the spring, then tighten down the main spring screw.

That sequence would make it some easier to do - you can ease a stock spring a good bit by just taking some pressure off of the main spring screw (92's and 73's) my others (66, 76, 86) have the main spring under a retainer hook at the rear so rely more on the strain screw. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com