Author Topic: Frosted  (Read 1023 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Frosted
« on: March 28, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
I'm looking on Gunbroker at 76's, and I see a few that list the bores as "frosted". What does that mean, and what can be done about it. Is that just a matter of a good scrubbing, or regular shooting and cleaning? Just wondering.
King Medallion

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Frosted
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
KM, I've seen that many times as well, plus "dark bore".  Since I've not been in the market for any of those old guns I've never studied the "condition" terms that much but am curious.  There's several members on here whom I expect will give a good explanation.

Offline JustinGr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »
Bright v Frosty..  think of it like this. A smooth and polished piece of metal will be bright and shiny. Sandblast it and it?s frosty from the millions of tiny pits.

This is what a frosty barrel is, someone cleaned it, but there a millions of tiny pits that make the surface frosted and not bright like a polished perfect bore. It?s a step up from a rusted bore. Not one I?d shoot and hope for accuracy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:19 AM »

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 05:20:48 PM »
You might think about the fact that, back in the day, CORROSIVE primers were used and if the weapon was not cleaned properly, that "Frosted condition" would and did occur. I had a Mauser rifle that had that condition and just shooting and cleaning seemed to aleviate the situation.  So--I sure would not rule out that situation although that may not be the case.  Just file this away when looking these old guns over.  Just don't be too frisky in getting hold of corrosive primers.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:47:59 AM »
I'm looking on Gunbroker at 76's, and I see a few that list the bores as "frosted". What does that mean, and what can be done about it. Is that just a matter of a good scrubbing, or regular shooting and cleaning? Just wondering.
                   Ask ten different people and you will probably get ten different answers as to what Frosted Bore  means . I like the one , (good bore just need's a good cleaning) . then why not clean it , Frosted just sounds like a softer word than ( Corrosion ) to me   .  It's kind of like when a realtor say's ( It's Got Great Curb Appeal ) ! Look Out Pard !,,,DT

Online Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
Justin's  answer is excellent.  However, I  have had several old Winchesters with frosty bores and some of them shot very well.  If the corners on the lands are still sharp, the gun should shoot.  Problem is trusting that the seller knows what to look for, when you ask him to check out some these details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com