Author Topic: 40-60 Range Report  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
40-60 Range Report
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
 I know the 40-60 is suppose to be a under powered round,,, I fired 6 rds. at a 10" target @ a distance of 500 yds. ,, the target was on a 4'x8'x 1" thick sheet of plywood ( painted white ) laying on its side. 3 hits ( no not close together ) one rd. hit 20 ft. in front of the target , in wet sandy soil , turned sideways , hit the 10" target ,, SIDEWAYS ,, and thru the plywood   :o,, ( a large stack of truck tires 3 deep behind the board for stop-ability )and bounced back. The bullet pencil tested 15-16 BHN ,, 208gr.,, shooting 27gr. of H-4198 w/ WWLr. primer. Only the nose of the bullet showed slight damage to the right side ( un-less you turn the bullet !! then the damage would be to the " left side" ) ,, the rd. might not " kill " a man @ that dist. but it sure  would put some hurt on a feller. I was using a ( home made ) mid range Vernier sight and ( home made ) peep sight on the front , off a 4" sand bag. Anyways just say'n . ;D

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: 40-60 Range Report
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »
Glad to hear you got out shooting Ol Pard . That long shooting is some fun . Thanks for the report , hope to hear more .,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
I know the 40-60 is suppose to be a under powered round,,, I fired 6 rds. at a 10" target @ a distance of 500 yds. ,, the target was on a 4'x8'x 1" thick sheet of plywood ( painted white ) laying on its side. 3 hits ( no not close together ) one rd. hit 20 ft. in front of the target , in wet sandy soil , turned sideways , hit the 10" target ,, SIDEWAYS ,, and thru the plywood   :o,, ( a large stack of truck tires 3 deep behind the board for stop-ability )and bounced back. The bullet pencil tested 15-16 BHN ,, 208gr.,, shooting 27gr. of H-4198 w/ WWLr. primer. Only the nose of the bullet showed slight damage to the right side ( un-less you turn the bullet !! then the damage would be to the " left side" ) ,, the rd. might not " kill " a man @ that dist. but it sure  would put some hurt on a feller. I was using a ( home made ) mid range Vernier sight and ( home made ) peep sight on the front , off a 4" sand bag. Anyways just say'n . ;D

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

hows about a picture of those homemade sights ? I made a couple of vernier rears two years ago (trying to copy off how I thought a soule sight worked)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:03:53 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:39:23 PM »
 Hey greyhawk,, look back to Nov.-25-2018 @ Proud to show it off. pictures are down @ reply #2.  I believe your pics. of the one's you made are what inspired me to build mine ,, mine is not windage adj. , I just shim the under the base,, the eye piece is threaded so I can change to different sizes,, it works great.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 06:29:24 AM »
Hey greyhawk,, look back to Nov.-25-2018 @ Proud to show it off. pictures are down @ reply #2.  I believe your pics. of the one's you made are what inspired me to build mine ,, mine is not windage adj. , I just shim the under the base,, the eye piece is threaded so I can change to different sizes,, it works great.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

Ah yeah - thanks - I remembered it soon as I went and looked

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »
Sorry for jumping in like this but I would be interested seeing those homemade sights also.

Could you put a link to the location in a posting here?  I will look back to Nov 25, 2018 on this forum but not certain this is the location you are referring too.

Thanks
BRS

Never mind I found the posting.  Here is a link for others that maybe interested.  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61940.0.html
Black River Smith

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 03:06:28 PM »
Sorry for jumping in like this but I would be interested seeing those homemade sights also.

Could you put a link to the location in a posting here?  I will look back to Nov 25, 2018 on this forum but not certain this is the location you are referring too.

Thanks
BRS

Never mind I found the posting.  Here is a link for others that maybe interested.  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61940.0.html

BRS
The one on the rifle I built from scratch (except for the adjustable eye piece - picked that up years ago off a trade blanket for ten bucks)
I have since added a little lockscrew at the front to lock the cross slide in place - the brass knobs look cool but a bad idea - they should be steel (didnt take long to get some wear in there .

The second sight is my adaptation of a cheap pedersoli - used the staff and base and just made the cross slide part - lots less work and these cheaper sights turn up regular second hand

Doing these sights you must make a decent jig to hold the staff and cross-slide part while you braze it together

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
Now that's a tang sight Mate ! That sight and the 45/75 should reach out there . ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com