Author Topic: Open top hammer question  (Read 1518 times)

Offline sackettboys

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Open top hammer question
« on: November 15, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
Hello-
Recently picked up this new to me open top conversion in 38 Special. The former owner had mentioned light primer strikes with reloads so I started looking here in the forums for some answers.

I first thought maybe there was some debris stuck in the firing pin area as it was mounted in the frame. I noticed some threads on hammer safeties so I took a closer look at the hammer and noticed a depression in the hammer face. I originally thought this was the way the hammer was made. Then I noticed a screw in the back of the hammer. When I adjusted the screw, the depression disappeared and so did the light primer strikes. I haven't messed very much with open top conversions so this was new to me. Was this common in open top conversions?

The only markings I can find are "Navy Arms" under the barrel and "38 Special" above the wedge. The trigger guard and back strap are nickel plated. It seems to be well made and shoots dead on at 20 yds.

“Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.” - “When all else fails, play dead.”  Possum Lodge motto

Offline sackettboys

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Open top hammer question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
Here's a photo of the revolver
“Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.” - “When all else fails, play dead.”  Possum Lodge motto

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
I think that is an old Armi San Marco from the erly 2000's.  They were the only ones who had frame mounted firing pins.  If not that, its a Gren, Millington, or Howell conversion.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:41:45 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »

Hi there Sackettboys   ;D

What you have is an Armi San Marco (ASM) replicant of the First Model 1851 Navy Conversion.  ASM is now defunct.  Parts are NOT available, so due care must be taken with it.  That retractable/adjustable hardened striker was an attempt at import safety requirements.  It "sort of" worked.  I suggest a drop of Blue LocTite on the screw and DO NOT lose it.

The ASM .38 Conversions I had were with out doubt the most accurate .38s I have ever owned.  Unfortunately, ASM quality control went inna toilette.  A real shame.  If your example works as it should, you have a really fun Conversion.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »

I forgot.  The firing pin mounted in the Recoil Shield is a rebounding firing pin and often a light primer strike can be traced to a too heavy spring.  I replaced all of mine with sections of retractable ball pen springs.  If you remove the collar, spring and Firing Pin, be hugely careful not to lose or misplace 'em.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
I had two of the ASM 1860 Type I Richards in .44 Colt (only).  They were awesome shooters.  One was 100% reliable (It was the FAVORITE conversion I have ever had), but the other was a 4 shooter.  I had to sell it for parts.....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
 I like " IT "  nice !!!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
I have one, an ASM 1860 Richards type 1, very early production, carefully preserved, .44 Colt, with a Colt bolt and cam in it.  Wonderful piece, probably never see it's like again.  Don't shoot it much anymore, but love the feel of it.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
I have 2 Armi San Marco (ASM) .38 Spl. First Model 1851 Navy Conversion's. Both shoot really well.

Offline sackettboys

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
Thanks to all for the information and comments. I think it'll be my Sunday afternoon plinker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com