Author Topic: Cimarron Charcoal Blue 7th Cav.  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Cimarron Charcoal Blue 7th Cav.
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »
Okay, so here's my new clone reproduction (did that for Coffinmaker  :) ) .  I've been wanting a charcoal blue Cavalry for a long time, and now that the BP-frame Cimarrons are the only Uberti single actions with the standard hammer and firing pin, I thought I oughta get one while I could.  Cimarron gets in the Cavalry guns often, but not as often in charcoal blue.  But then I noticed they had 5 in stock.  So I'm thinking maybe now's the time, then suddenly there were only 2 left, so I grabbed one.  Did not get to choose between the two as it was being shipped to me. 

Overall I am very pleased with the gun.  It does have two quality issues that I can live with.  The first is that there is a string of proof marks on the side of the cylinder, on the opposite side of the serial number.  One of the plusses of Cimarrons is that those marks are supposed to be miniaturized and stamped on the rear face of the cylinder.  Also, where the "45 Cal" is stamped on the left side of the triggerguard, the metal is collapsed in some.  The hole for the left side triggerguard screw has less metal on the side wall where the Cal is stamped than usual, leading to the dished in appearance.  Not major, but still.

When OD#3 did his report a while back on a new Cavalry, he mentioned the grip cartouche being laser engraved.  I had seen some of those in the past and didn't care for it either.  Someone since mentioned their cartouche was stamped, and so is this one.

I put a spring kit in it.  I have an assortment of springs, I think this one is an Evil Roy kit.  And the coil hand spring I intend to cut down a bit but for now just left out the set screw to give it a little less tension.   Timing is good.  I did rub a piece of emory cloth over the hammer cam a bit with my finger.  The action feels great.

The day after I bought it I took it with me to a match, intending to pop off a few rounds after the match to try it out.  But the hand spring on my Kirst converted '61 decided to break at the loading table on stage 1, so I shot the Cavalry in the match.  I've shot it in two matches since then, paired with an antique-finish Cimarron Pre-War .45 that I usually pair with an identical-looking 1st gen Colt.  Results of those first 3 matches?  Three clean matches!  I have no idea what it does on paper, and at the moment am not concerned.  With the spring kit and having been shot some now, the trigger pull is a nice crisp 2.5 lb, which for me is perfect.

I'm shooting a very pleasant load, 4.7gr Clays with a 200gr bullet, the Clays minimum in the LaserCast loading manual (they say 660fps).  Brass drops out of the cylinders without ejecting and looks pretty clean.  My schedule these days doesn't give me time to load nor clean BP much, so I haven't shot any yet in this gun but will get to it eventually.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron Charcoal Blue 7th Cav.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:52:00 PM »
More

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:27:08 AM »
Oh My Good Abilene

I am jealous.
You have that deep blue, subdued but georgous case, and of courdse the BP frame and "normal" hammer!

thanks for the pics!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:50:34 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:40 AM »
Thanks for the report. Kind of disappointed to hear about the proof marks on the cylinder, that's usually one of the perks of Cimarron is that they are more attractive by having that stuff more hidden.

On the hand spring I've been doing the same as you did, I just leave out the screw and it seems to make them about right. I do mirror polish the back of the hand where the plunger slides.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
Abilene, that is beautiful! issues aside, that's a great looking six-shooter!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
That is a beautiful gun.  Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:38 PM »
 ;D  Hey Abilene   ;D

That be a super swell fine Suppository Shooter ya got there.  Damn fine if I say so myself.  Normally I'd go into my "I don't like Uberti" rant, but that primarily pertains to Uberti Cap Guns.  Cartridge guns are some different.  Really nice gun.  Lots and Lots of extra barrel steel  ::)

I don't necessarily suggest taking anything off the Hand Spring.  I've found, like others, of you just put that nuisance of a tiny retention screw in a safe place, the spring push will be just right.  Looking at your glossies, about the only fault I can find is the Base Pin.  Two position base pins are a nuisance.  I would suggest you remove about 3/16 off the end and dress it smooth so you can seat the Base Pin fully.

At's a really nice gun Bub.  A really fine REPLICA (snicker snicker)

Offline rust

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »
Does it have a recoil shield firing pin bushing?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Does it have a recoil shield firing pin bushing?

It does not.  None of the Ubertis have it. 

Personally, I am not concerned.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 03:38:28 AM »
It does not.  None of the Ubertis have it. 

Personally, I am not concerned.

That's exactly what I used to say, then someone in the Uberti Facebook page showed me their Uberti with a removeable recoil shield.  ??? Haven't seen one before or since!

CHT

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
I have shot the Cavalry in 2 more matches.  I would like to say they were both clean matches as well, but I had a last round rifle squib in the last match that cost me 1 miss.  Dang!  The .45's have yet to miss.  And in that last match I had a couple 25 second 10-10-4 stages, which was pretty fast for me.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »
Since I've been out of CAS since 1994 I have to ask. What on earth is a 10-10-4 stage?

Dave

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 03:53:15 PM »
10 rounds pistol - 10 rifle - and 4 shotgun  rinse and repeat ad nauseam

My Stainless Uberti had the bushing
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
The Charcoal Blue is very delicate, it does not wear well. I had my Artillery Model 5 1/2 " engraved, then re-blued. The bore slugs out at .450" and the chamber throats are all at .4505". I shoot .451" cast, and get excellent accuracy. the piece loves 250 gr. RNFP, over 7 grains of Unique. Shoots same point of impact with the Nosler .451 250 gr. JRNFP.
Grips are by Joe Perkins, Outlaw Grips, Tucson Arizona. They have a Palm swell on the left side.
Engraving is by the "Gun Engraver".

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
It's hard for me to even notice the engraving because I can't take my eyes of those gorgeous grips!   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »

PLUS ONE too Abilene  ::)

LEFTY:  Truly sorry about the scratches on your .45   Those Grips however, are STUNNING!!!

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
Joe Perkins does nice custom work. I took the piece to Tucson and selected the Wood from his stock inventory. The Palm swell makes for a nice steady hand for off hand work. I have shot many 5 shot cloverleaf at 25 yards. Supported on Hay bales I have made many hits on a 3' diameter steel gong 285 yards.

The piece resides on a shelf in my wall unit of Western display. It gets shot and then cleaned once a Year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com