Author Topic: Stainless steel pin brass polishing tumblers  (Read 969 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
Re: Stainless steel pin brass polishing tumblers
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »
Well I'm not a slob shooter or reloader. I don't think a bit of stain on the brass makes ya one. My brass used for black powder are clean when loaded, a few may show some stains, but they are shiny for the most part. For the expense of going to a new tumbler, pins, and all of the other needs, what little tarnish is left on the brass is no big deal and not worth stainless steel pins IMO. Ya stick em in the cylinder, fire em, and in a fraction of a second they're all scruffy looking again. I don't polish my boots every time I go shootin, but that doesn't make me a slob shooter. I do take pride in my gear and other things that matter. Have a shootin friend that started shooting a 44 1851 Euroarms Navy same time I did back in the early 70's. When mentioning that we shoot black powder he would sometimes cringe because he didn't want to get his brass on the Navy revolver stained and dirty. That gun had more brass polish used on it than the King of England's carriage did back 200 years ago. He no longer shoots black powder.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 06:55:49 pm »
Maybe I should start another thread but I had asked if one could use the SS pins (or ceramic media) COMPLETELY DRY and tumble as if it were walnut and get clean brass without all the bathing. I didn't get anyone to comment, therefore this additional posting.

I use nickeled brass anyway because it cleans up so easily.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:59:07 pm by hellgate »
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 12:58:47 pm »
Ya'all realize tiffin those be REAL Stainless pins, a Magnet ain't gonna hep ya pick em up ..... right ???

400 series, hardenable stainless steel and other modern steels with similar composition is magnetic and can even become magnetized. It's corrosion resistance depends on the content of different alloys to make up the steel, how it's worked and hardened.

I'm a knifemaker and use primarily stainless steel for blades and use a magnetic chuck on a surface grinder to do the flats and in fact after working with the blades I have to demagnetize them in order to keep them from attaching themselves to everything.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Wallace Foster

• Active citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 09:35:59 pm »
I made my own a while ago, I had a motor in the shop so I thought what better reason reason to build a tumbler.
That's 8 inch ABS

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 10:22:03 am »

So Sorry Hellgate   :P

I didn't even begin to address your original question.  OOPS.  But I'ma dry hole.  I don't and never have, used SS or Ceramic pins to clean brass.  Just Lizard Litter in a Dillon.  Sorry again, no help.

Offline Isom

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »
Here's my take Hellgate. For me, ceramic, walnut or corncob work good for smokeless. They don't cut it for me with b/p. I use real b/p. SS pins work best for B/P. I use both.
Isom

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 02:19:10 pm »
Isom (Dart?),
Do you use the SS pins dry or wet?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Wallace Foster

• Active citizen
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 10:50:49 pm »
For shooting I just use the ss pins a soap they don't come out new brass shiny but they are clean if I want them bright and shiny I use the same tumbler with walnut and nushine after the ss soap and water