Author Topic: Discoveries at Exhibition of 10th Meeting of the FROCS on July 21, 2019  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
I thought you would like to see this.
From left: Centaure Regular New Model Army custom engraved, Centaure Marshal factory engraved.
Now #3 here are a few hints: it's a Colt, closed frame percussion revolver and .44 cal.
What is it?
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
More pics of this unique pistol.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
It looks to be a Root model 44 caliber, maybe a prototype. I remember seeing one in a book long ago, but will have to dig around for the reference.

A magnificent find, to be sure.

Advertising

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
The side hammer on the #3 revolver caused the recall button in my head to recall reading about Elisha Root who was a childhood friend of Sam Colt, later to be his factory superintendent, co-designer, and later to be Colt President after the death of Sam Colt. Reading in books by Haven, Wilson, and Alder, they write of the series of side hammer percussion revolvers designed by Root. The only ones ever produced in the mid to late 1850's were referred to "Pocket Pistols", which were five shot calibered in .31 and .265 (called a 28 caliber in one reading). They are of the ones always pictured with the side hammer, top strap, and no trigger guard normally seen on Colt revolvers. According to writings I've read, Colt and Root did make some experimental  'Root' designed percussion prototype revolvers (side hammers, top straps, and trigger guards) that were of 36 and 44 caliber that had larger frames than the other Root designed production revolvers. They were never put into production as Sam Colt thought the guns were to heavy, complicated, and clumsy. It is written Colt didn't think they would sell well. In the books I have there are pictures of several of the 'experimental' large frame Root designed revolvers, all in private collections and/or museums. More than likely the one you saw and pictured Long John is one of the 'experimental' ones that somehow escaped from the Colt factory. Your picture looks like the photo's of the one's in my books. Just speculatin'. Someone probably has more info than I've typed here, but this is what I've read by the authors I named. Nice lookin revolvers in your pictures. Be interesting to handle the side hammer one.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
According to my friend Google the original Root Dragoon prototype - one of a kind - was sold at RIA in December 2016 at US $ 184,000.
The pictures I shared with you are of a replication of this prototype, also a one of a kind and it is shootable.
This piece of art is the creation of an Austrian master gunsmith.
He is suffering from "Root-Craze" from time to time.
He completed the job in due time to present the gun at last weekend's Annual Meeting of the FROCS.
Great work!
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I actually have two thoughtful and on topic questions;
Firstly, is the grip as small as it seems, or are those hands just big?
Secondly, are there any plans to produce copies from the replica?

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Capt. Quirk and campfire:
1) Yes, the grips are as small as it seems. Check out the pics of the original it's the same.
2) That was my first question, too. The answer was a definite no, but ...
My personal assessment regarding the making and knowing the guy who had delivered other small scale batches of quality .45 ACP cal. Lugers made from scratch before: if a batch of 10 - 20 Root Dragoons were made I would expect the price to be at least ? 10,000/unit!
Long Johns Wolf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com