Author Topic: Which grip frame is better to shoot Model 3 Rus or Schofield?  (Read 130 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
This question is not meant to start any fights or disagreements.  I am hoping that someone with both models will offer a personal comparison or favorite with a reason.

You see I have an opportunity or decided, to buy either the Russian in 44 or wait for the new Cimarron 1st model #3 to come out in same caliber.  In the mid '90's I had a chance to shoot my friends original Russian 6 1/2"(he does not live here any longer so I cannot just ask to handle it again), at the time I liked its pointing and accuracy but now with the opportunity for a 1st Model in 8" barrel (same grip pattern as Schofield), the question come down to what grip frame handles better.

In my town, I will not find a 'shop' that will have either of these models, so I cannot make my own comparisons.  I will be buying new and therefore, only one.  Unless I could find a used Russian at reasonable price.

If this topic has been hashed out please just direct me to the posting.  I did look through several pages.

Thanks for any comments.
BRS
Black River Smith

Offline Blair

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
Re: Which grip frame is better to shoot Model 3 Rus or Schofield?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:12 pm »
BRS,

I have and shoot several original S&W top brake revolvers. Ranging from the early type First Mod. #3 through to the New Mod. #3. All are in .44R cal. They all are quite comfortable, for me, in shooting.
 I also own a repro Schofield and a #3, Mod. 3. The repro #3, Mod 3 is rather uncomfortable for me to shoot. This is because the humpback back strap is either too high or otherwise misplaced. The New Mod. #3 humpback in both the repro and originals is much reduced and is very much the same sizes to each other.
 If you are use to shooting a Colt type grip I would suggest you either wait for the First Mod. #3 to come out or to get the Schofield.
I hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair   
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »
For rapid one handed shooting, the Schofield grip works better, as it allows the gun to roll upward in the hand for better positioning of the thumb for recock.  For 2 handed shooting the Russian grip is better, as it locks the hand in one position.  Both have a longer reach to the hammer than any Colt/clone, so speed is relative. 

The Schofield grip is faster out of leather, as grip position is not as critical as on the Russian.  The Russian grip is smaller in diameter, a consideration for smaller hands.  The Schofield has better sights for faster acquisition. 

The American model should feel much like the Schofield, the New Model #3 somewhere in between the two.

But all these differences are simply a matter of degree, and not a great deal of degree either.  The one that strikes your fancy is the one you should get.  I would think historical considerations would be more important, IE what would you most likely be carrying in the era that interests you.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators, Double M Cowboys, GAF
  • NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Senator
    • J Barr Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 12:29:16 pm »
Blair please turn off your spell check. There are no brakes on Smith & Wesson Top Breaks.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blair

• NCOWS
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:24:39 pm »
Johnson Barr,

Thank you.
I do not know if my spell check is on or off.
Spelling has never been a strong suit of mine. I will try two too to keep it in check just for you.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21