1902-1903 Chaplin School Souvenir

Started by John, February 15, 2010, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

1902-1903 Chaplin School Souvenir listing name of pupils

W. Gray

Chaplin had a post office from 1890-1903, which was the year of this announcement.

I searched and have not seen any mention on the forum before of where Chaplin was. Can someone say.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, it was 3 miles South and 6 miles West of Howard in Section19, T-30, R-10, Elk County, KS

Frank

W. Gray

Thanks,

I just noticed that the 39 students had one teacher and the district encompassed Wildcat and Union Center Townships.

But maybe it was only a small portion of southern Union Center and northern Wildcat.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dee Gee

Lots of familiar names on the class listed including my granddad and his brother.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

frawin

Dale, you are right about lots of familiar names. Logsdons, Streets, Schul, Westwoods, Ray Nicholson, I sold Ray some steers I had on pasture. I rented pasture in the section where the school was ( the school was gone by then), Gove McCormick had land in that Section and I rented Gove's pasture in the early 60's.
Which ones were your family.
Myrna's cousin married Walter Street's son Walter Eugene "Gene".
Dale, I have never been able to connect the Winns that lived there in 1900 to my Winns.

frawin

Dale, Myrna thought you were related to the Westwoods, is that the connection.

frawin

"John", thank you vey much for posting this great piece of Elk County history. Are your relatives listed on the class roster?

Dee Gee

Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

John

My wife is related to some of them, same ones as Dee Gee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk