Pres. Obama's Mother

Started by jensarlou, November 20, 2009, 03:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jensarlou

During last years election a geneologist did some research on the canidates family trees.  There was an article written that stated Pres. Obama was related to Brad Pitt by a man named Edwin Hickman
B:  1690 Va.
D:  1769 Albermarle Co, Va
M:  1710 Albemarle, Va
I was wondering if there is a way to find out exactly how either are related to this Edwin Hickman (more than just the ninth cousins)?
The following link is to the above referenced article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23797072/

larryJ

Anyone who has studied their family history knows that finding a relationship can be difficult and frustrating at times.  This is known as hitting a "brick wall."  As you go back in time, information becomes spotty and is just non-existent.  Those who make the effort to track down their ancestors will usually stick to a direct line approach and not worry too much on "in laws and outlaws."  All of us have two parents.  If you go back 10 generations in your direct line, you are descended from 512 people. In earlier times, families tended to be larger having many children.  So, you have a lot of "cousins" related by marriage and the number grows.  And, of course, if you are a believer of the Bible, we are all related having descended from Adam and Eve.  

The point is---there is and has been the question of Obama's birth certificate.  Right away, you have hit a "brick wall" because there is that contoversary.  But, we know where his mother came from so that would be easy, right?  Maybe, maybe not.  His father was Kenyan and without even looking, I bet there aren't a lot of records or information from his side of the family.  As was stated in the link, Obama is related to all the people listed, but those people are caucasian leading one to believe that the connection must be from the mother's side of the family.

However, loving a good puzzle or mystery, I think I might look at this Edwin Hickman, if I can find him and see where it goes.

Thanks for posting this.  I might have some fun today.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

OMG (and I am not being funny)----Along the descending line from Edwin Hickman, one the persons listed married into the Dunham family.  I am not aware, or at least, have never tried finding out about the Dunhams in my ancestry because they married in and I wasn't interested (direct line approach).  And, I am not aware of any of them from Virginia.  But further research may prove that I am related to Obama.

Larryj

Whoa! That means I am related to all those other people listed.  I need a nap.
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk