Old Fallen Tombstone in Longton Cemetery

Started by W. Gray, November 13, 2009, 05:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

Twirldoggy,
I have no idea how many murders there have been in Longton, but do know there was a town Marshall murdered on main street many moons ago, then in the 70's or possibly 80's there was a murder /suicide in the old Whitmer Hotel on main street -------BUT------ol Sarge calls me a clown again there might be a "murder" in the near future !!!  :angel:

Diane Amberg

AudWilly

There is a building in Longton that has a big chip out of the corner, about half way up. My mother always told me that was a bullet that did that. Seems like that was when the marshall was killed. That was a long time ago. I  remember when a man was in a drunken rage and was looking for someone that he was going to kill, hurting people in the process, and the marshall shoot him. Otherwise, Longton has been a pretty tame town. I grew up there, and have always been proud of Longton.

W. Gray

This first murder in Longton was covered seven years ago on this forum.

The following is from the Weekly Commonwealth, Topeka, Kansas, August 9, 1877

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk