Moline Oil Boom

Started by W. Gray, June 03, 2017, 10:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Wichita Daily Eagle, February 27, 1921

How many folks remember the water tower at the bottom of the page?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

redcliffsw

I can remember the water tower.  Looks to be a good read.  However I can't seem to get the print focused to read the article(s). 

W. Gray

Sorry about the print read.

When my family would go through Moline, I would pay attention to the old water tower and what was playing at the Morris Theater across the street. I never was in that theater but it held around 220 seats. Printed flyers circulated in the county usually contained a week's worth of what was playing at both the Morris and the Plaza Theater in Howard.

One day sometime in the early 50s that old tower was gone, replaced by the current "new" tower.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jpbill

As a Moline native, unfortunately, I can't remember the exact year the "new" water tower was installed but I know it was after the 1950's.  I graduated in 1961 and the old tower was still in use then so the replacement probably took place sometime in the 60's.

W. Gray

I will go with your recollection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk