Daily Courage

Started by Judy Harder, September 12, 2009, 07:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Then the Lord said to Satan, Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and who shuns evil.

(Job 1:8)

Job

Satan had not expected that God would talk to him about Job. Satan had hoped that he could bring a report about all the misery he had seen during his roaming through the earth. He had his story ready, about all the hypocrites, thieves and adulterers. And about all the Christians who hate each other and who are not to be trusted. Those who sing righteous songs but do bad things. That's what Satan would like to talk about. That is what he looked forward to.

But the Lord only wanted to talk about one thing - this Job, who was so trustworthy.

Satan always wants to talk about negative things. He encourages God's children to do the same - and with much success. God points us to the positive. Although he condemns sin and is moved by the needs of men and the world, he offers forgiveness and expectations for people without hope for the future.

He is our God and Savior. We should walk in His steps. And pray:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."
(Psalm 139:23-24)

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Does Job fear God for nothing? Satan replied ... You have blessed the work of his hands ... but stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.

(Job 1:9-11)

Job

These verses form the essence of the Book of Job. Many think that it is about the problem of suffering. Although the suffering of Job is central, surely the essence is this - Does Job believe in God out of love, or because He had blessed him so much?

Satan charged Job with the latter. Job had reasons for being well rewarded by God.

"Does Job fear God for nothing?" "Yes," said God. "Impossible," said the devil.

Job himself knew nothing of the conversation between Satan and God. If only he could have looked behind the scenes! But he could not do that. Job was, although it sounds awful, the battleground. Job was the only one who could clarify who was right, God or the devil. And Job declared who it was. Although the price was high - humanly speaking too high - Job clung to God and God to him!

When everything around Job died, this witness remained, "I know that my redeemer lives." (Job 19:25)

Job's faith was based on this. He was sustained by the living God.

The Redeemer still says, "See I make all things new."

May that also be your confession and comfort - now and always.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised. In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.  (Job 1:21-22)

Job

Many sayings from Sister Basilea Slink are well known. One of these reads, "God's actions are always love, even if we do not understand Him."

Job could have written those words, or better still, this was Job's testimony.

He did not understand God. He was full of "whys" but he had no doubt that God had His best in mind.

Some people say that you must never ask "why" something has happened, but "what for?" That may sound a little pious, but on a more practical note, hear the words of a woman who herself had come through many things. "I do not ask 'why?' or 'what for', but I ask myself the question, 'How am I going to get through all this?'"

Job did it because he clung to God who does not have a hand in our suffering, but has His hands around it.

Not only in Job's situation but also in yours.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

...The Lord made him prosperous again.  (Job 42:10)

Job

When did the Lord bring a change in the plight of Job? After Job had prayed for his friends.

Friends? They had been more like enemies than friends. They had pushed Job deeper in the mire. They had tried to convince Job with many pious words that his suffering was a result of his own sins. Job had to defend himself (and God!), but his pious friends appeared to know much better.

Job became angry - and God also, "I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has." (Job 42:7).

At least four times God referred to Job as His "servant."

This servant, Job, had to pray for his friends; otherwise God would not forgive their sins.

Would you have done that? Pray for people who say they are your friends, but in the hour of need accuse you of all sorts of sins? Perhaps for sins which they have committed themselves and not you?

Job did what God told him to do. He prayed for his enemies - and then the Lord brought about a change in his circumstances.

If Job could remain faithful in spite of his suffering, then there is hope for us. For Job's God is also our God.

"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

A song of praise to the Lord, to the God who is alive.
This God hears when His children call on him.
He seems far away sometimes, but he is never absent.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

David

Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry;
the face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all.
(Psalm 34:11-19)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

(Isaiah 41:10)

Antonio Garrido

The events that took place in the revival in my country are an evident act of God's power.

For thirty years the government had taught that there is no God. The Christian faith was ridiculed. But just when the battle seemed to be won by the government, God sent a great revival.

People were so disappointed in Communism that they came to the very churches which the government tried to destroy.

Thousands and thousands of people would gather together in and outside the church to hear the Gospel. They would bring the sick and God performed miracles, again and again. Even atheists came to listen and many of them acknowledged that God is alive and at work. We never need to be dismayed. God is still in control. Despite all persecution and false propaganda the church grew.

Yes, we can trust in God. He says, "I will build my church..." (Matthew 16:18). So we never need to be dismayed whatever the circumstances.

Antonio Garrido, from Cuba, shares about his life with the Lord. Despite the battle, his meditations witness to victory and faith. He writes under a pseudonym.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

And the Israelites inquired of the Lord. (In those days the ark of the covenant of God was there, with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, ministering before it.) They asked, "Shall we go up again to battle with Benjamin our brother, or not?" The Lord responded, "Go, for tomorrow I will give them into your hands." (Judges 20:27-28)

Antonio Garrido

The story of Judges 20 is not that well known. The Benjamites had committed a crime and the Israelites had to take revenge. Three times they asked God if they should punish the Benjamites. Three times the Lord told them to do so.

Yet, the first two times they suffered defeat at the hands of the Benjamites. After praying and fasting they tried a third time and this time they prevailed.

We Christians in Cuba are not going to take revenge on those who have persecuted us and treated us so badly. Our suffering is spiritual, not carnal. But we too often feel defeated despite all God's promises.

The story of Judges teaches us a spiritual lesson. For the children of God there will always be new opportunities to defeat the enemy - Satan - when we keep trusting our Lord. We too have often been defeated, but it does not mean definite loss. For the children of God it will never be too late. There will always be new, spiritual opportunities to destroy the work of darkness.

Let us claim, take and declare God's final victory, despite all setbacks.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. - (Romans 8:35-39)

Antonio Garrido

The Church in Cuba has gone through many times of persecution during the last three decades.

Sometimes the enemy of God's people confronted us face to face. Sometimes the battle was more subtle, when they disguised themselves and infiltrated our churches as wolves in sheep's clothing. But they failed. We knew their plans. They tried to discourage God's people through loss of jobs, loss of education and other privileges. They infiltrated the minds of our children with diabolical materialism. But in all these things they failed.

Despite these trials and tribulations the Church of God remained - alive, growing and full of power. If God is for us - who can be against us? Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Then the Lord said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on. Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground."

(Exodus 14:13-16)

Antonio Garrido

The Israelites, with Moses at the front, were involved in a very delicate situation. In front of them was the Red Sea. To their sides the desert and behind them the Egyptian army to capture them. A very frightening scene. A street with a dead end.

God's people often find themselves in similar situations. Enemies all around us with a seemingly dead end awaiting. Wherever we look we see danger, anguish and despair. But God permits these situations to show us that there is never reason for despair. Certain spiritual lessons can only be learned in streets with a dead end, where the way to God is still open.

When things got really bad Moses obeyed the voice of God and struck the water with his rod. And the dead end street changed into a thoroughfare.

It always will... if we obey and trust our Lord.

Antonio Garrido, from Cuba, shares about his life with the Lord. Despite the battle, his meditations witness to victory and faith. He writes under a pseudonym.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life." (Revelation 21:3-6)

Antonio Garrido

Although we know we are "not of the world", we need many things from this world.

When you are deprived of these daily necessities because you are a Christian, life becomes difficult and hard.

This has often been the case with Christians in my country. Not only was it hard for us to find employment, but it almost became impossible to purchase certain articles, ranging from luxury goods like cars to necessities of life such as food and clothes.

When church services are forbidden as well, you feel discriminated against as a Christian and you have to beware of despondency and hopelessness. But the words spoken by Christ in Revelation 21:5 gave us hope. "I am making everything new!"

Is this only valid for eternity? No, God in His might is able to make all things new now. How does He do that? By changing the circumstances? Or by changing us, so that we experience that in all these things we are more than conquerors? In trouble, in loneliness and in prison. For nothing is able to separate us from the love of Christ. He holds us fast, He makes all things new. Every day - including today.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk