Daily Courage

Started by Judy Harder, September 12, 2009, 07:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

...we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. (Romans 5:3-5)

Mona Khauli

These words are so rich and meaningful; yet they are so difficult to put into practice.

To glory in tribulation? How can this be? It is neither human nor tactful to rejoice in suffering, especially when it concerns people around us. What does Paul really mean?

The best way to explain is to quote a Christian woman in my country, Lebanon. She was facing one family hardship after another. When asked how she managed to cope with all these hardships she answered, "Troubles are challenges to me. Even difficulty that comes my way is a perpetual source of wonder. I am so eager to see how the Lord will get me out of it."

She had found the secret. Not theoretically but through pains and problems. "In all these things we are more that conquerors through him who loved us" (Romans 9:37). Her secret was Paul's secret. Paul's experience became her experience. What about you?

It is no secret what God can do, what He has done for others He will do for you.

Writer of the Month: Mona Khauli from Lebanon. Instead of leaving her country to seek peace, she chose to stay at great risk. She testifies of God's miracles.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save. (Psalm 138:7)

Mona Khauli

Throughout and despite the war in Lebanon, the Lord has been my strength and my salvation. Nevertheless in moments of emotional despair, I have often asked myself; "Given a choice to relive those years would I perhaps opt for a change of course?"

My answer is no. I would never exchange the intimate fellowship with God for a more peaceful period of earthly existence. It is also true that I have often been near breaking point. During these times of distress Psalm 138:7 has been a great encouragement for me.

"You stretch out your hand against my foes, with your right hand you save me."

Both aspects are so real. The danger is that we too often only see the stretched out hand of our foe

May God continuously open our spiritual eyes for the other truth, "with your right hand you save me."

Writer of the Month: Mona Khauli from Lebanon. Instead of leaving her country to seek peace, she chose to stay at great risk. She testifies of God's miracles.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

By faith... (Hebrews 11:3)

Mona Khauli

Faith is:

·      Expecting God to accomplish miracles through my five loaves and two fishes. He can use me. 

·      Rejecting the feeling of panic when things seem out of control. He is in control. 

·      Confidence in God's faithfulness to me in an uncertain world. He holds the future. 

·      Depending on the fact that God loves me, not on my ability to figure out how or why. He can be trusted. 

·      Thanking God for his gift of emotional health, not assuming it all stems from my ability to cope with stress. He provides. 

"...I do believe; help me to overcome my unbelief" (Mark 9:24).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. (1 John 2:28)

Menes Abdul Noor

The Apostle John writes to the "little children" as people who are close to him. They are also close to the Heavenly Father. They are weak and small. They are dependent on Divine grace and care. This is why they should abide in Christ and in His Word. They can trust in Him here and now, and forever.

Jesus has come, born in a manger in Bethlehem. He also comes to us, knocking at the door of our hearts (Revelation 3:20). He comes to those who ask for His help, as He came to His disciples walking on the water to rescue them (Matthew 14:22-33).

He will come again in the last day to judge sinners and take His followers to be with Him forever. If we abide in Him we will await His second coming eagerly.

We hear Him say, "Yes, I am coming soon." And we cry, "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus" (Revelation 22:20).

When He appears, we may have confidence because He saved us and abides in us. We will fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast our crowns before the throne, saying, "You are worthy, our Lord and God" (Revelation 4:11).

Let us be ready, little children!

Writer of the Month: Menes Abdul-Noor from Egypt. A respected leader of the Christian Church in Cairo.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do? (Psalm 11:3)

Ghassan Khalaf

During wars, moral and spiritual foundations are liable to be undermined and people tend to be permissive. They abandon God's laws and government laws. In Lebanon when militiamen dominated, the government was dissolved. A state of chaos and complete confusion emerged. The foundations were destroyed. In a situation like this, what can the righteous do?

Learning from our situation the righteous can prove that He is the foundation when moral and spiritual foundations are destroyed. The Christian is the law in the absence of law, and he is the conscience of the nation when morals deteriorate. The example of Christ is reflected in our lives in humanity's darkest hours. Christ is the light of the world, and we should let Him shine through us.

When foundations are destroyed, the righteous should not stand still. He must rebuild what is destroyed. Our call is not just to stand by and observe the destruction. Our call is to share in building up whatever is destroyed, especially in the moral and spiritual realm. What if what we have rebuilt is destroyed again?

The righteous should be determined to build it again and again and again.

Writer of the Month: Ghassan Khalaf from Lebanon. Amidst bombings and destruction, Brother Khalaf faithfully visited victims of war to encourage them in their faith.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

David knows the balance between asking God for things and offering up prayers of thanksgiving. He calls on God for help, but he does not forget to thank Him for answered prayer.

David

To you I call, O Lord my Rock; do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.
Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place.
Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbors but harbor malice in their hearts.
Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever.
(Psalm 28:1-3, 6-9)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)

Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore. (Hebrews 13:13)

Remarkable Remarks-Victorious Under Pressure

Chinese Evangelist writing from prison:  "I am not afraid of being looked down upon by people, because, when I look up I see the smiling face of God.

George MacDonald: "No man ever sank under the burden of the day. It is when tomorrow's burdens are added to the burden of the day, that the weight is more than a man can bear."

John Trapp:  "God has one Son without sin, but none without sorrows."

Anonymous: "Persecution for Christ's sake is not a mark of defeat, but of victory."

Wong Ming Dao: "Stand firm in your faith, live the Christian life you confess; God can use you wherever you are."

William Orchard: "It may take a crucified Church to reach the world with the message of a crucified Christ."

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that survived the exile, and about Jerusalem.
(Nehemiah 1:2)

Nehemiah

Though Nehemiah lived in exile, his conditions were pleasant. He enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle, had a good job and as the King's cup-bearer he held a high place of honor in the palace.

He had every reason to be content - but he was not. Not because of his own circumstances, but because of the circumstances of his fellow Jews in Jerusalem. His heart and mind were with them. When he met someone who had just come from Jerusalem he eagerly enquired how the people were doing.

Many Christians today dare not ask questions about the situation of the Body of Christ under persecution. Because, if they would ask, they would have to do something about it. Knowledge leads to responsibility, to love and to action.  As for Nehemiah, it was not enough for him to live a life of comfort, while his brethren lived a life of discomfort.

May we be people who are grateful for what we may possess, and who are willing to do something for those who lack freedom of worship.

Nehemiah sets the example: pray and work. If you follow his example, God's people will be encouraged. And so will you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

When I heard these things, I sat down and wept.  (Nehemiah 1:4)

Nehemiah

When Nehemiah learned that God's people were in great trouble, something happened within him.

He could have said, "It's too bad, but what can I do about it?" He did not react that way. When he heard the bad news he sat down and wept.  Night and day Nehemiah sat and wept, mourned and fasted, thus to share the sorrows of his countrymen.

"By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion ... If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill" (Psalm 137:1-5).

Paul states in 1 Corinthians 12:26 "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it..."   Nehemiah suffered with that other part.

The suffering of other people will be lifted in the same measure in which we share in their suffering. If we are willing to lift part of their burden, they do not need to bear that part any more. In doing so we not only become part of their problem, but also part of the solution.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself have committed against you. We have acted very wickedly towards you. We have not obeyed the commands ... you gave your servant Moses.

(Nehemiah 1:7)

Nehemiah

Nehemiah had a burden. The burden of his people became his own burden. What could he do about it?

Had his response to the bad news been only grief, it would have been nothing more than an expression of sentiment.  Nehemiah's response was different. It started with grief; it led to prayer and was followed by action. A few things stand out in his prayer.

In the first place he mentioned the reasons for Israel's troubles.  In the second place he acknowledged that he himself was not any better than his fellow countrymen. Instead of only accusing others, he confessed that he too had sinned. His confession was both corporate and personal.  In the third place he reflected upon the promises of God. He reminded God of His promises. His whole prayer was rooted in these promises: God, You have said...

When we point our finger at others, we must remember that three fingers will point back to ourselves. We are not any better. We too, do not deserve the grace of God. We too have sinned. In confessing their sins and ours, we may count on God's promises.

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:14).

There is hope, for our nation, for ourselves, and for those who suffer in captivity.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk