THOMPSON, Andrew A. "Pete" - January 31, 1899 - d. April 18, 1955

Started by genealogynut, September 24, 2006, 02:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant Citizen
Thursday, April 21, 1955

Andrew A. Thompson passed away suddenly Monday morning near his farm, northwest of Howard, while in his pickup truck.  He and Mrs. Thompson had gone to the pasture to bring a cow and calf back to the home lots and on nearing home he blanked out.  Mrs. Thompson drove the truck on home but he had evidently passed away almost immediately.

Andy was born and raised here and had lived in this community most of his life.  He was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ben Thompson, a graduate of Howard high school and served in both World Wars I and II.  He also was a member of the State Highway Patrol for several years and last November was elected sheriff of Elk County, taking office in January.  He was making a fine official and was popular in all parts of the county.  Besides his wife, he is survived by his daughter, Blenda, Mrs. James Young and family, a sister, Mrs. D. C. Bascom and other relatives, and a host of friends.

Andy will be greatly missed, not only by his family, but by many friends all over the state.

Memorial services were held at the Moon Chapel in Howard at 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 20th, conducted by Rev. P. L. Mitchell of the Howard Methodist Church.  Charles Miller was soloist, with Mrs. Willis Miller, accompanist.  The casket bearers were all old friends, Albert Criger, Clair Horn, Carl Russell, Jack Durbin, John Barnes, and Chester Miller.  Final services were held at Grace Lawn cemetery with full military honors by the American Legion, Carter-Rader Post No. 149

Janet Harrington

Many of our older citizens remember Sheriff Thompson when he was in office.  He died from a massive heart attack or so I have been told.  I might even have a date of birth for him.  When I pull that wonderful research information out to start sharing it, I'll look for his date of birth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk