another slice of wry

Started by larryJ, June 24, 2009, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Good one. You keep us well entertained.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

larryJ

Today's-------------------------------------Hey, it's  Sunday, so hence another Sunday joke.

Roger came to Sunday School late.  His teacher knew that he was usually very prompt, and asked him if anything was wrong.  The boy replied, "No, nothing's wrong, I was going fishing, but Dad told me that I needed to go to church."

The teacher was very impressed and asked Roger if his dad had explained to him why it was more important to go to church than to go fishing.

"Yes, he did," Roger replied.  "Dad said he didn't have enough bait for both of us."

Today--------------------------------Country singer, KITTY WELLS,  is 90 years old!

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Today's---------------------------------------------------------

For months Leland had been Katie's devoted admirer.

Now, at long last, he had collected up sufficient courage to ask her the most momentous of all questions.

"There are quite a lot of advantages to being a bachelor," he began, "but there comes a time when one longs for the companionship of another being - a being who will regard me as perfect, as an idol; whom one can treat as one's absolute own; who will be kind and faithful when times are hard; who will share one's joys and sorrows."

To his delight he saw a sympathetic gleam in Katie's eyes, then she nodded in agreement, and finally she responded, "I think that is a great idea.  May I help you pick out a puppy?"

Today's birthday-------------Jerry Allison (Buddy Holly and the Crickets) is 70.

Larryj

pamsback

Larry, just wanted to say you have made me shoot coffee out my nose more than once :D Thanks!

larryJ

Ha Ha!  In the immortal, I mean, mortal word/s of Catwoman:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Thanks Pam, I am glad I made somebody's day.  That's all that counts to me.

Larryj

sixdogsmom

Larry, how is the smoke out your way? Been seeing that they are doing a lot of evacuating and some homes have been lost. You okay?
Edie

larryJ

Thanks for your concern, SDM.  The first fire last Tuesday was the Morris Dam fire about 10 to 12 miles to the north of us.  I have spent many a weekend or a day hiking and fishing in the that canyon.  There was a fire near there two years ago, but a little farther up the canyon.  My son, who used to hike with me, went with me after that fire to see the damage.  It was just so dishearteniing.  This fire nor any of the others are threatening to us.  We live pretty much in the center of the San Gabriel Valley and not near any areas that would burn. 

The biggest fire, the one you are probably seeing the most of on the news, is the Station fire, so named, because it started near a forest ranger station.  This one is really bad in that as of today it had burned roughly 85,000 acres and is not even 5% contained.  Doing the math, 85,000 acres would be the same as about one-fifth or 20% of Elk County.  Fortunately most of the smoke and ash are blowing away from us.  The temps have been in the triple digit range making it miserable for the firefighters.  This is also an area that my son and I have hiked.  One other threat is that the fire is near Mt. Wilson, the highest point in the county and houses all the radio and television broadcast antennas and is the home of the Mt. Wilson Observatory which is one of the biggest in the country. 

My wife and I decided today to go to the beach some 40 miles to the south, not because of the fires, but because we hadn't been to the beach in a long time and just wanted to go.  On the days when the smoke does seem to be close by, we stay indoors.  We have central air conditioning which keeps us very comfortable.

The view of the smoke billowing thousands of feet into the sky is awesome and today the fire was putting out so much heat there was a cumulus cloud building over the smoke going maybe 5000 feet up. They are estimating another two weeks before it will be out. 

We are safe where we are. 

Thanks again for asking.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's------------------------------------------------this one is old to me, but maybe new to you.

An elderly couple had been experiencing declining memories, so they decided to take a power memory class where one is taught to remember things by association.

A few days after the class, the old man was outside his house talking to his neighbor about how much the class had helped him.

"That sounds like something that would be helpful for my wife and I too." the neighbor said.  "What was the name of the instructor?"

"Oh, ummmmmm, let's see," the old man pondered.  "Uh, you know that flower, you know, the one that smells really nice, but has all those prickly thorns..................what's that flower's name?"

"You must mean a rose," said the neighbor.

"Yes, that's it," replied the old man.  He then turned toward his kitchen window and called out, "Hey, Rose, what was the name of the instructor who taught the memory class?"

Update on our fires----------105,296 acres burned, 6300 homes evacuated, 5% contained, 3670 firefighters, 53 homes destroyed, and 2 firefighters killed trying to assess the ground crews work when they became in danger and tried to drive away and missed the road in the smoke and crashed. 105,296 acres translates to 164.5 square miles, roughly 25.3% of the size of Elk County.

Larryj

frawin

Larry, thanks for the Fire report, our Daughter lives in or on Signal Hill and says the smoke is really bothering her there.
Frank

larryJ

Yeah, it is interesting how the smoke circulates, especially in an urban area of this size.  While she is many more miles from the fire than I am, she might get some effects of the smoke which might go through the Los Angeles Basin itself and straight to her area.  Today it is somewhat cloudy.  I wasn't sure when it started getting light whether it was smoke or inversion layer off the ocean that make it look cloudy.  But, I just checked the humidity outside and it is double (40 %) to what it was yesterday.  More humidity means more help for the firefighters.  Although they might be a little more uncomfortable with the humidity, it tends to keep the fire down.  Yesterday, in our trip to the beach, the smoke from the fire was very visible and we were almost 60 miles southeast of it.  Being in Signal Hill, she was pretty close to the Palos Verdes fire which is now contained so maybe she was getting the smoke from that.  Being on oxygen therapy, I am probably more conscious of any smoke than I would be normally, but I have not had any problems. 

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk