another slice of wry

Started by larryJ, June 24, 2009, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

Today's---------------------------------------------It is a beautiful Sunday.

The kindergarten Sunday School class was discussing prayer, and the children seemed aware that the way to end a prayer is with "Amen."

"Does anyone know what 'Amen' means?" the teacher asked.

There was a long silence.

Then one little boy piped up, with appropriate, computer-age gestures, and said, "Well, I think it means, like, 'Send'."

Today's birthday---------------------------comedienne Joanne Worley (Laugh-in) turns 72

Station Fire has now burned 154.655 acres and is 49% contained.  154,655 translates to 241.6 square miles, roughly 37% of the size of Elk County.  It has burned nearly 25% of Angeles National Forest.  It is now being blamed on arson and because two firefighters died, it is now considered a homicide case.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Today's----------------------------------------

My neighbor's niece's 4 year old son was asked if he knew what had happened to the nearly full bottle of mouthwash in the bathroom.

He replied, "Well, Dad tasted it and spit it out; then Marie tasted it and spit it out.  So I figured if nobody liked it, I might as well dump the rest out.

Today's birthdays------------------Arthur Ferrante (Ferrante and Teicher) is 88, Gloria Gaynor (I will survive) is 60.

Larryj

larryJ

I believe that I had mentioned (or not) about the cumulus cloud that formed above the Station Fire earlier.  Today I read about it in the local paper and learned a new word.  I don't remember ever seeing this phenomena before.  This cloud is called a pyrocumulus cloud.  It is formed from the vast heat rising from the fire and mixing with the moisture in the atmosphere forming a cloud.  These clouds have been known to act as a storm releasing lightning which can cause new fires.  It is also known to cause rain which can help put out the fires.  it is like the mushroom cloud that forms when an atomic explosion occurs.

I learn something new every day.

Larryj

larryJ

Today's----------------------------------old, but still funny and true.

This is about four people:  Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was asked to do it.  Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.  Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when actually Nobody asked Anybody.

In 1930, the comic strip "Blondie," created by Chic Young was first published.

Comedian Sid Caesar turns 87 today

Larryj

W. Gray

I just wanted to add about the Blondie comic strip that Blondie, herself, started out as a gold digger. She caroused with rich boys hoping to make life easy for herself and reap the rewards. Dagwood happened to be one of those rich boys, held no job, and was a playboy. When he fell for Blondie his family disinherited him.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

Like I said--------------------------You learn something new every day.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Do you remember where Dagwood's family got their fortune?

sixdogsmom

Considering the times, it was probably bootleg whiskey.  :D
Edie

Diane Amberg

flo

(I'm still catching up on the forum and may take me all day lol)  Back on Sept. 5 LarryJ noted that Rachel Welch was 69 on that day.  I turned 69 last month and I want to know why I don't look like her at this age???  ;D ;D ;D  AND this is probably the funniest joke you'll hear today  :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk