Legs That Won't Quit: Restless Leg Syndrome

Started by Warph, June 19, 2009, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Legs That Won't Quit

If you have restless leg syndrome (RLS), these symptoms will be all too familiar: When you're lying in bed, or sometimes just sitting for long periods, your legs take on a life of their own, itching, pulling, aching, and burning; you can't resist the urge to move them. Walking around may help (RLS is triggered by rest). Generally this happens in the evening or at night, and can put an end to sleep. It can also disturb the person who shares your bed or bedroom—secondhand RLS, as it were. Involuntary leg jerking ("periodic limb movement disorder") may accompany RLS, but RLS is unrelated to the calf cramps that most of us experience at one time or another.

Is low iron the culprit?
Though RLS has been much studied, no one knows what causes it. It may occur at any age, even in children, but people over 45, especially women, are most likely to be affected. Pregnant women, in particular, may have RLS in the last three months before giving birth.

The most recent theory is that iron deficiency is a factor—the clue is that pregnant women often have low iron stores, and RLS sometimes accompanies iron-deficiency anemia. Or it could be that the body somehow fails to process iron properly. Thus iron supplements are sometimes prescribed for RLS, but you should get medical advice first. Don't take an iron supplement on your own, beyond what's in a multivitamin/mineral pill.

If your RLS is frequent or severe, see your doctor. There may not be much a doctor can do, but checking for iron deficiency might be a good idea. There's no standard medication, though tranquilizers may provide temporary relief, and the drugs used for Parkinson's disease can be prescribed in severe cases. New drugs are currently under review by the FDA.

What you can do on your own

• Avoid caffeinated beverages and alcohol in the evening. Smoking, too, will worsen RLS—so here's another reason to quit if you smoke.

• Massage your legs before going to bed. Stretch your leg muscles and rotate your ankles.

• A hot water bottle or, conversely, cold compresses applied to your legs at bedtime may help. Try both and see which works. It may be simpler just to take a warm (or cool) bath before bed.

• Sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs.

• If RLS keeps you awake, get up and try to distract yourself. Do a few exercises. Walk around. Stand at a counter and read or watch TV. Mental distractions are helpful.

• RLS tends to become less severe, or even vanish, after age 60. You may simply get better on your own.

The Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation promotes research and offers support. You can get more information on its website. Or you can phone 507-287-6465, or send an e-mail to rlsfoundation@rls.org.

UC Berkeley Wellness Letter 2009
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

flo

thank you for this information.  I found it very interesting as I have had RLS for many many years.  Sadly, tho, reaching age 60 and beyond has not lessened it.  Several of the "things that might help" I do and they do help, what I would like is for it to stop ALTOGETHER.  Guess it's something you have to live with.  I don't have a low iron level so . . . . .  :-\
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

I was thinking the same as Flo.  Reaching age 60 didn't stop RLS.  In fact, I don't think I had it until after age 70.  When my legs want to go walking on their own, I take a muscle relaxant.  Fatigue seems to be the biggest cause of mine.

sixdogsmom

Sometimes it is medicine induced; Ted had probs with it also.
Edie

Judy Harder

Restkess Keg Syndrome is one of my problems.

Just can't keep the legs still.

I have made a little head way with the jumpiness. I started taking extra magneizum and potassium and with my
muscle relaxant (not sure of brand, is generic Think parafon forte? I at least stopped the charley horses during the night
and the RLS is easier, too.
Just another fun-side of growing OLD-ER!!!
Isn't it fun????

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

Jim has RLS. He has to take his medicine pretty early in the evening to keep from going nuts when it is time to go to bed. I hope I never get this, but I am pretty active, so that may help me.

farmgal67357

Good thing we have a comfy couch, because my legs can really get to jumping at night and then hubby heads for the living room! Judy, I take Flexeril for my muscle relaxant, 10 mg three times a day. I have a friend with MS that is amazed I take so much. I guess I have built up a tolerance.
Lisa
Lisa

Judy Harder

Lisa, my doctor just put me on requip.
I can't even keep my legs still during the day now. I notice at church, inspite of me trying not to, I keep crossing and uncrossing my legs........I can't say they are cramping at that time, just will not/can not keep them still.
My mother would tell me that it is just a habit! But, if it is a habit why do I hear the dog hit the floor at night and do people I read about and know spend extra time on couch when their partner starts with the leg kicks.
last several months I notice my lower legs, whether I am sitting for a length of time or even out walking with dogs, feel like they are waking up from being asleep. You know how an extremity tingles when a hand or finger/arm goes to sleep. Well, that is the way my lower legs (both of them) act.
One reason I went to cardiac surgeon last week to see if I have a circulation/blockage. I do have a little build up of plaque, but Dr Hutchinson in Wichita said that was not my leg problem.
So Shirley Black is trying this medicine. Oh joy oh joy, I now have Osteoporosis (sp) and will be taking more medicine..Maybe I should stop going to doctors they are always making me take more medicine and finding something else wrong with me.........gee maghee..................I think I will head to couch and take a nap. rereading this just wore! me out. LOL nah, not really...........I am just starting with the reading of posts. Hugs
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

farmgal67357

I know what you mean about all the meds! On Sunday nights, I fill all my pill boxes for the week. I have so many bottles out on the table, it looks like a pharmacy in my kitchen, and that not counting what my hubby and my son takes! I have so many pills in me I sound like a maraca when I walk...... ;)
Lisa 
Lisa

Roma Jean Turner

You guys might want to try going to 1800homeopathy.com and see if they have any homeopathic remedy for that.  Also might want to look into magnesium.  That is what I would do if I had that problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk