Natural ant repellent

Started by debid, June 17, 2009, 04:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debid

A friend of mine swears by this.     You cut several (8-10) jalapenos long ways and boil for 3-5 minutes.  Use the jalapenos however you want.   Use the water from boiling the jalapenos in a spray bottle with about half tap water to spray where ants are getting in and spray the ants mounds outdoors.   It's cheap and worth a try  ;D

Judy Harder

This is the first year I have not been bothered by ants around my computer station.
My desk is almost in the window and since I eat here, (I am messy) I usually have to
wage a war on the little varmits.

A few years ago a friend told me to plant Tansy, ( 2 years ago....she gave me a start)......and that would take care of them.

First year I saw a difference, this year, I saw one scout this ............no MORE has climbed in the window.

I planted the tansy just outside my window and close to foundation and the smell is something like
bug spray........but not bad.......and even outside I don't seem to have as many this year as last.

It does spread. Easy to grow............tolerates sun/shade and bad soil (least mine is) but a very good stand.
Tansy is a herb.
Good luck
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Teresa

Well I am glad to hear that! I have ants on my deck sometimes
I just use Terro that Cooksons has at the hardware store.. but this would be safer to have since I have grandchildren around so much.

I'll use the Jalapeno spray too in the meantime.

Cool Ideas.. Thanks :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

I use Terro too... It works really great for me, only I get a little crazy watching the buggers rally round to suck it down...  I get this evil little laugh going and... well...  I really shouldn't enjoy it quite so much... :-\

I love the idea about the jalapenos, and will look for some tansy to plant too... 8)

indygal

Joanna, you're just wicked! LOL (BTW, I LOVE the photo!)

kshillbillys

After reading this, I looked up Tansy on Wikipedia and I think I will give it a try and tell my neighbors to do so as well. I HATE ANTS! I know there are other bugs that are much worse but the ants absolutely love my house! Hopefully I can be like Judy and not have to see any more of them in a couple of years after starting this!

During the American colonial period meat was frequently rubbed with or packed in common tansy to repel insects and prevent decay. [2][5][10] Also during the colonial period common tansy was frequently worn in shoes to prevent ague and malaria.[5][10] In England tansy was placed on window sills to repel flies, sprigs placed in bed linen to drive away pests, and was also used as an ant repellent ([21]) In the 1940s distilled common tansy oils mixed with fleabane, pennyroyal, and diluted alcohol was a well known mosquito repellent, with collectors paying five cents a pound for tansy in full bloom ([22]; [13]). Common tansy was planted along side potatoes to repel the Colorado potato bug, one study finding tansy reduced the potato bugs population by 60-100% ([19]; [13]; [11]). Research has found that tansy extracts do indeed repel mosquitoes, but not as effectively as products containing diethyltoluamide

ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Anmar

Baby powder actually works really well.  For some reason Ants can't stand the stuff
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

Get rid of ants??? shoot, thats easy,  just get a couple of uncles, I've got two and they both managed to repel aunts ;D
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Wilma

Hey, I need a couple of those uncles.  I have a particularly stubborn bunch of ants.  Terro doesn't work on them.   We have put masking tape over the places that they come in and that has stopped them temporarily. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk