Crosswalk.com--The Devotional

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2009, 07:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Cold Soup
by Ryan Duncan, Crosswalk.com Entertainment Editor

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. – Mark 12:30

A while back, some friends and I went out to lunch at a nearby restaurant. Now, I'm not much of an adventurous eater, but that day I decided to try something new and ordered a soup called, "Vichyssoise." I now know that Vichyssoise is a thick soup made of puréed leeks, onions, potatoes, cream, and chicken stock. Also, it's traditionally served cold. Maybe I'm just not cultured enough to appreciate this unique delicacy, but in my opinion cold soup tastes horrible.

After one spoonful I was trying to find a creative way to spit it out without my friends noticing. The meal did make me think though, about what the Bible says about cold and lukewarm Christians. 

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:15-16

It's funny how a bowl of soup can make you reflect on your life as a Christian. As I mulled over my actions in the past year, I realized how far away from God I had really moved. I had let my faith become a daily routine, like brushing my teeth or doing laundry, I had let my passion grow cold. God wants us to change the world, if only in our own small ways. Keep your heart and mind centered on Christ, don't let yourself grow cold.         

Intersecting Faith and Life: Have you let your passion for Christ grow cold? Take some time to consider.

Further Reading

Habakkuk 3:19

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Maybe Those Words Mattered
by Debbie Holloway, Crosswalk.com Family Editor

"Maybe those words never really mattered at all/
But lately those words run with me wherever I go..."

Those lyrics are from a Keane song that I'm currently listening to as I write. Do you ever reflect on the power of words? Words have so much influence, even when we don't intend for them to. I'm currently dealing with a rocky relationship, and words have played a key role in the hurt and confusion. "Rocky" probably isn't the best description...frayed, torn, broken, sporadic, and unraveling might be more accurate – but you get the idea.

The worst part honestly just might be that I have no idea how to deal with it.

I don't envy people who've always had to deal with crazy drama, but I envy their preparation and their ability to keep it together after years of practice. I don't have a background in Dealing With Crazy. I don't think I've ever had a heated, angry, yelling-type fight with anyone outside my immediate family. And in dealing with family, all arguments have always ended with jam sessions or forgiveness or just a resolve to move on.

So when a relationship I thought was secure starts pumping venom in my direction, I sort of lose it. I'm an ugly crier, too. And my times of panic are bewildered, because I'm not usually a panicked person. To boot, I was often told growing up "you should be a lawyer" because of my passion for rightness and justice. So when my sense of "how the world is meant to work" gets thrown back at me in a situation I can't control.... well... it's hard. I have a soft and fierce heart.

This season has helped me grow in ways, though. It's helped me think twice about judgments I make on people when I don't know their story. It's helped me remember to measure my own words. It's helped me realize that I have no control over what someone will do with my words once they leave my lips. It's helped me remember that love and loyalty must be kept up like a well-trimmed garden. Leaving relationships to take care of themselves sometimes results in a beautiful, out-of-control wisteria vine... but too often, it results in chaos, decay, and weeds choking out the flowers.

James writes,

"No human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison" (3:8).

No human can tame the tongue. But God can. Give your words over to God before they pass through your lips, and let God reign in taming your tongue. It's a daily struggle for me, but even in my weakness, he is perfectly strong.

Intersecting Faith and Life: Do rash words get you in trouble? Start meditating on the Word, and give your impulses to God. Are rash words from others hurting your heart? Remember, you are only master of your own tongue. Behave as one bearing the standard of Christ.

Further Reading

James 3

Say It Ain't So: The Power of Words

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The First Fruit of the Gospel
by Alex Crain, Editor, Christianity.com

"For whosoever shall be ashamed of Me and My words, of him shall the Son of Man
be ashamed, when He shall come in His own glory..."
Luke 9:26 NASB

Nothing—not good works, religious rituals, not anything can add merit to Christ's perfect work of atonement.

Still, virtue does flow from the work of Christ in our lives.

One virtue that is the necessary result of the gospel in our lives is the habit of dying daily. Francis Schaeffer, in his book True Spirituality, insightfully takes us to Luke 9:22 about this where Christ is telling His disciples the certain order of events that would soon occur to Him... that He would be rejected, slain, then raised.

Jesus immediately relates this order—rejected, slain, raised—to the christian life as well.

In Luke 9:23-24, Jesus says, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it." 

Schaeffer points out that,

"Jesus is talking here about our death by choice in the present life. He applies it to a specific situation to make it more concrete. "For whosoever shall be ashamed of Me and My words, of him shall the Son of Man be ashamed, when He shall come in His own glory..." (Luke 9:26)

"The Bible is not speaking of some romantic feeling, some idealization, some abstraction. Jesus carries this concept of facing the rejection, being slain, down to a very practical situation: facing an alien world. It is the saying "no" to self when our natural selves would desire acceptance by the alien world—a world in revolt against its Creator and our Lord.

"...this command of Christ is not limited to one situation; it is that which is to be the whole mentality and outlook of the Christian's life.

"As Christ's rejection and death are the first steps in the order of redemption, so our rejection and death are the first steps in the order of true and growing spirituality.

"As there could be no next step in the order of Christ's redemption until the step was taken, so in the Christian there can be no further step until these first two steps—rejected, slain—are faced; not in theory only, but at least in some partial practice."

Intersecting Faith & Life: Is the gospel bearing fruit in your life in this way? Put another way, do you increasingly treasure Christ so that things and self receive less and less of your time, attention and resources?

Ask God for grace to live before the watching world in a way that others would see the blessings of a resurrected life in you.

Further Reading:
Philippians 1:1
The Expulsive Power of a New Affection

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Is the Aim of Your Life to Please the Lord?
by Anna Kuta

Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him (2 Corinthians 5:9).

My pastor mentioned today's verse in a sermon several weeks ago, and it has stuck with me since then, convicting me.

Basically, this verse is telling us that if our ambition is something other than being pleasing to the Lord, we need to reevaluate. Too often I find myself going through life with a totally different aim, whether it be to please others, to be perceived a certain way or to please myself. But this verse has me thinking, and it is something we all need to consider. How can I claim to put the Lord first in my life while continuing to do things I know are not pleasing to Him? Do I even claim to put Him first in my life? And if I continue in sin, what message does that send to unbelievers with whom I am trying to share the gospel message?

The Bible is our complete manual to following the Lord and living for Him. Though we are all sinful people, the process of the Christian life should be one of sanctification and becoming more Christlike – and we can find in the pages of God's word everything we need to grow in our faith and knowledge of the Lord. As Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 4:1: "Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God; for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus."

We can't live to please God unless we know who He is and what He commands – and we can't know that unless we read His word. As Romans 10:17 says, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." As Christians, our aim should be constantly striving to better know the Lord, to follow Him – and to please Him.

What is your aim?

Intersecting Faith & Life: Are you living in a manner "well pleasing" to the Lord? If you do not read your Bible every day, commit to set aside a few minutes. Ask the Lord to open your eyes to His directions as you read His word. Pray that He will help you live a life pleasing to Him.

Further Reading

Colossians 1:10

Colossians 3:16

Hebrews 4:12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Fill 'er Up
by John UpChurch, Senior Editor, BibleStudyTools.com

"Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness—the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints." Colossians 1:24-26

Right after I got married, I gave up computer software updates and PC troubleshooting for something a bit more... down to earth, you could say. I needed work in my new hometown, and since employers weren't tracking me down and forcing jobs on me, I gravitated toward the only available option: construction. With a booming housing market at the time, finding enough to do wasn't a problem.

But finding motivation was a problem. Going from a specialized, higher paying job in computers, where I mostly sat at my desk all day, to cleaning up cinder blocks, wrestling with insulation, and scrubbing windows—that was quite the humbling thing. Honestly, I'd never had to do any real manual labor in my life before that (yes, I was coddled). The heat and pain and bloodied hands were all new to me.

The first few weeks, after a particularly arduous day of gophering around the jobsites, I'd come home and crash on the living room floor. My muscles weren't used to the beating they took, and they made sure I knew about it.

Slowly, however, with all the wood slinging and nail pounding and putty slapping, things changed. The nights of carpet collapses became less frequent, and my hands didn't split open nearly as often (unless you count the numerous times I stabbed myself with a chisel). In fact, I came to enjoy the process of seeing something come together, seeing a house take shape.

My spiritual growth has come in a similar fashion—just without the splinters. At first, the failures dragged me down and beat me up. The rejections when I tried to share my newfound faith stung. The transformation cut deep. But as I grew and as God worked in me, something changed. The pain still stings and the transformation still cuts (that never stops), yet I began to see the pain as an important part of the overall process. Christ is building something in me—and in His Church.

As humans, we all suffer. But as Christians, we fill up on suffering. Sounds bad, but the point is that instead of us letting the suffering go to waste, God uses it for the good of other believers (and our own). He takes the pain and makes it passion, passion that spills out as love for our brothers and sisters.

Intersecting Faith & Life: We each serve as a breathing example of the gospel played out in real life. Our pain and restoration make us a family like nothing else can.

Further Reading

1 Corinthians 12

Ephesians 3

Build in Layers

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Elbows & Ears
by Shawn McEvoy, Crosswalk.com Managing Editor

I will redeem you with an outstretched arm.
Exodus 6:6

Be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
Psalm 4:1

Once, when my son was just shy of three, he informed his mother he was drawing a picture of God.

"Oh... What does God look like?" she asked.

"Well, I put some elbows and some ears," he replied, and he went back to his work.

I was told that story when I came home from work. Cute, I thought. Not exactly as awe-inspiring as Ezekiel's vision, but sounds like a weird picture. I mean, where is the face?

"The face of the Lord is not one you could look upon" (Exodus 33:12-23), came the voice inside my head.

Where are the hands and feet?

That's you.

Oh yeah, that's true...

So... elbows and ears, huh?

Well, I guess God does reach us, and move us, and nudge us, and hold up the light to our paths. As Wayne Watson sang, "No one in this world can slip beyond the reaches of the long arm of the Lord."

And I know he hears us. He created us for fellowship. He desires praise and prayer. He's absolutely listening. He can even hear things we don't even know we're saying. As Steven Curtis Chapman sang, "The cross should have been mine, But His love broke through time, And heard my heart's cry."

So in one statement about one drawing by one child, I had digested a complete meditation on the nature of God, who He is and what He does, even what He leaves for us to do. As Casting Crowns sang, "If we are the body... Why aren't His hands healing... Why aren't His feet going?"

Intersecting Faith & Life: Consider today what part of the body you are playing, and what other parts (eyes, mouth, shoulders, etc.) describe what you know about the character of your God.

Further Reading

Video: "Proof" Most of us have thought how much easier it would be to follow God if we could just see Him once. The truth, though, is that He is all around us...
Matthew 5:8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

"What Will Your Legacy Be?"
Debbie Holloway, Family Editor at Crosswalk.com

One of the most spiritually provocative songs I've ever heard is called War Sweater by the band Wakey!Wakey!.

"New York is dangerous, littered with thieves
We've no morals here, we just do as we please..."

...sings the narrator in the opening lines. He continues:

"But I don't want to go home where they all stare at me
'Cause I'm tattooed and fired up and drunk and obscene."

I'm sure many of us can picture a similar "wayward" family member or friend. But why exactly does this narrator feel so uncomfortable with this scrutiny? He explains in the following chorus:

"You wear your religion like a War Sweater
You ask for the truth, but you know you could do so much better
And you sat on your fences, and you've screamed "no retreat!"
...So what will your legacy be?"

Every time the singer repeats that phrase, "what will your legacy be?" I get knots in my stomach. Because I know my actions and my words will create whatever legacy I leave behind. Reputations are not created by beliefs – rather they come about by observed behavior. No one will remember me simply for getting all my doctrine right or wrong.

They will remember, though, if I wear my religion like a War Sweater. If I thrash my faith about like a flag and scream in the faces of unbelievers. Sadly, many Christians have created such legacies for themselves. Emperor Constantine created the legacy of Christianity's ties to the government. The Crusaders connected Christianity with war. Even today there are self-professing Christians who stand on street corners and picket funerals, wearing their religion like a War Sweater.

But my faith, my religion, informs me of something better. My religion tells me to do what the Word says, not merely listen to it (James 1:22). My religion does not allow me to sit on a pedestal and judge; it says to to serve one another in love (Galatians 5:13). My religion tells me (Psalms 149:4) that salvation cannot come through pride. My religion does not stand for violently demanding all people bow to my standards; rather, it tells me that, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (Romans 12:18).

So take a look at the words you speak, at the people you mock, at the bumper stickers adorning your car.

Are you wearing your religion like a War Sweater?

What will your legacy be?

Intersecting Faith and Life: When confronted with a hard situation today, see how you can leave a legacy of Christ's love.

Further reading

Matthew 5:9

John 16:33

2 Corinthians 2:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Inoculated with Faith/Hope/Love
by Shawn McEvoy, Managing Editor, Crosswalk.com

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13).

On the Wednesday morning following the 2012 presidential election, I found myself musing peacefully about what's important in life. I was finding out, through realizing how little the outcome affected me, how little stock I'd had in the result personally. I was neither dancing in the streets nor cursing the fates. How was that? Apathy? Ignorance? Internal focus? Eternal security? Just a really easy morning sending the kids off to school?

Then it hit me. It was the theological virtues. I began to compose what became a Facebook status:

"...I do find Faith and Hope such interesting concepts. They're so powerful. They allow so many to get on with their lives. They inform our decisions and give us empathy for others. They point us towards purpose, toward wrongs to be righted and away from what would harm us. They seem to be in short supply sometimes, even among those who proclaim them while venting frustrations and fears they'd not utter to your face, but they shine brightest in tough times if you let them. And they're most famously tied to Love. They are still here this day, even if it doesn't sound like it, for they are the virtues that 'abide.'

"So I ask regardless of political persuasion: Do you have Faith to loan to the one today who has lost his, or placed it in something temporal and disappointing? Can you spare Hope for one who doesn't understand that Despair is the only place hope functions?

"These virtues are superior inoculations against whatever goes on around us, the very infusions that make possible a mission of bringing joy, mercy and laughter into the world every day, that elevate 'I can endure all things' above a mere platitude. They task one with a job that'll get you up in the morning, any morning. They bring to our eyes opportunity: chances for justice and charity, and the exercise of freedom. And, good news for me, Faith-Hope-Love is beautifying, for I can think of none who ever saw the application of these virtues - call it Grace - in action and said, 'Ugly.'"

It wasn't long before I was tasked with the charge I had just set before others. A forlorn friend messaged me.

"I honestly need prayer. I am sincerely requesting it. I do not feel love, I do not feel any desire to "get past it and heal and show love more now than ever." ...I am disheartened to the point of despair.  ...I don't want to feel this way but I do. And it's been getting worse all day. Please pray for me. ...Considering your FB post earlier, I came to you with my request because I thought that at the least you'd understand."

After a moment of prayer I responded:

"I have already been praying for you ever since waking early and noting that you were 'heart sick.' It can start to feel like a lonely place but you are not alone. I won't try to talk you off the ledge politically because the timing's not right and there's no point in anyone else's opinion when what's killing you and eating at you so bad is how 'uninformed and wrong' all the opinions out there seem to you. I only hope you can get to the bottom of why it gets to you so bad.

"In microcosm, it reminds me of a HORRIBLE flight to Newark I shared with two of my co-workers back in April. I was convinced that nasty flight was going down. I even posted ugly things about it publicly. I was SO MAD that while I was holding on for dear life while the plane bounced (yes, bounced!) around the sky, none of the other passengers seemed to mind. At least not much. I wanted to scream, 'Come on, people! This isn't right! Why did they put us on this plane in these conditions, and why are you taking this jostling?'

"On the other hand, my friend [and Christianity.com editor] Alex really couldn't understand why I would fret at all. After all, what is the worst that can happen to the believer? Death has no victory, so it's not that. And fear? What is fear except that from which we've already been delivered (death, sin, destruction, loss)? And sovereignty - what does my angry fretting reveal about what I believe about the nature of God?

"Hey, I think it's quite possible, biblically speaking, and regardless of the results of this particular vote, that things will happen in this country that are 'undesirable.' But I also know that through them and despite them I will cherish every moment with my family, try not to hold too tightly to anything eaten by moth or rust, and look for opportunities to help, and to live out my faith, purpose, and morality individually.

"I have no doubt you will be out of this slump at some point. But it may take a while. I daresay you may even want to talk to a counselor about it (I say this as someone who's done it).

"In the meantime, the simplest (yes, I know that can mean 'most naive') thing is to consider experience a good teacher. Nothing yet political, economic or electorial has befallen you or this country that killed either of you. In your 40 years, you have amassed great blessings; do not forget them, or Job 3:25. If you could erase everything in your mind and wake up today to discover the life you have, would your sky be nearly so dark right now?

"Rejoice! Get out of town. Go for a drive in the country with the top down. Go ahead, tell God he'd better know what he's doing allowing for the kings and counselors of the earth which he has ordained. And then leave it alone for a while. Go the indirect route. Study/read/pray about something else. Help someone else, even by just sending a note or letter to someone you know.

"These are the things that help me when I'm down, when I start hating my own people.

"Speaking of which, I sent friend requests to both ______ and ______ today. I figure it's time I stopped damming what would flow from my own heart. So please let me encourage you not to start. Much love!"

Intersecting Faith and Life: These words helped my friend, a little. This letter gave me a chance to be the hope to one person I'd challenged others to be. This day of lost faith for some became an opportunity for so many others to talk about theirs. And you know what? Today is no different. The same needs and chances are there. Apply the theological virtues with Grace in a specific way (a mere note, gift, hand-on-shoulder can suffice) before you go to bed.

Further Reading

Philippians 1:21-25
Philippians 4:13
My Day at the Beach That Wasn't any Such Thing
The Thrill of Hope

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Turn with Me to Your Next Prayer
by John UpChurch, Senior Editor, BibleStudyTools.com

According to Hollywood, most funerals should include the pastor intoning the morbid notes of the twenty-third Psalm. All the black around the pastor makes it seem that much more depressing. Usually, there's rain.

But there are two things about this that strike me as odd. First, Psalm 23 isn't depressing. Yes, it mentions the "shadow of death," but it's chock full of hope and paths of righteousness ... and oil pouring over heads. You can't be depressed when oil's dripping down your nose ... at least in biblical terms.

Second, I don't really hear people pray from the Bible. Sure, they toss in a verse or two about being "more than conquerors" or "God working all things for our good." But I've never seen a pastor reach for Psalm 23 or any Psalm for that matter when praying in public.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've heard plenty of great prayers from pastors and other believers. Some of them have hit home hard. But it seems as if Evangelicals especially are averse to anything that isn't somehow unique when it comes to praying. It's as if we think that just praying from the Bible isn't quite spiritual enough. We have to say something original.

Honestly, that's too bad. Because the Bible is crammed with better prayers than I could ever come up with—ones that fit almost every situation. And, really, that makes sense. After all, God inspired Scripture. These are His prayers to us; they're gifts of His grace.

In the Psalms alone, there are prayers for depression, loss, fear, moments when you just gotta praise ... it's like an encyclopedia of prayers. Just dial up a Psalm, and you've got a template for expressing what may have seemed inexpressible a few moments earlier.

Now, I'm not saying we should reject all original prayer-making. I'm just saying that there's no reason to ignore the Bible as a source for some pretty great prayers. We don't always have to come up with something original when God gave us His own Word to pray from. These prayers are creative for you creative types; passionate for those who like passion; and orderly for those of you who like things with three main points.

Just make sure that you aren't praying the Psalms like those pastors in the movies. Put some heart behind it.

Intersecting Faith & Life: God's interest in our prayer is that we spend time giving Him everything we've got. It's easy to think that we have to have the right words—or that prayer is a test of our creativity. But it's really a test of our hearts.

There are no original words ... nothing new under the sun. Using the Bible as a prayer manual isn't a cop out; it's brilliant. Who better to teach us how to pray than God? Start there and see how well God's Word fits the problems you face. Then, if you still need to wax poetic, you can do that, too.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Our Love Should Be Ridiculous
by Stephen Sanders, Salem Web A/V Editor

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10

Every once in a while, you meet a Christian who just flat out makes you feel good about life in general. It doesn't happen probably as much as it should, but nonetheless, it's always nice to see. Even though it may just be a brief encounter, you leave that conversation feeling important, hopeful and restored. Sometimes, it's even so powerful that it inspires you to become a better person.

I recently had an encounter with a certain pastor who just flat out blew me away with the way he carried himself. This was actually my 2nd time meeting him, and I just can't describe the attitude of this man. His love for God and love for people was simply contagious. Everyone in the room was just so peaceful and complimentary after he left. I found myself wanting to be more like that because, well, I'm not.

Showing "brotherly affection" towards others is not something that comes naturally for me. I tend to make a lot of excuses when it comes to being more outgoing and more loving. After all, it's much safer to just ignore people I don't know or have things in common with. That makes perfect sense, right? It's wiser to just let someone else share God's love with them; someone who can "minister to them more effectively than I."

God continues to deal with me about this on a daily basis. Not only is displaying love towards one another one of the chief commands of the Christian faith, but it's the core of who Jesus Christ was while he was on earth in the flesh. It's easy to assume that Jesus would have gotten along easier with the "church folks," but He actually spent all of His time with tax collectors, prostitutes and such; people who He had absolutely zero in common with.

The religious people of that day mocked Jesus for loving the way He did. Jesus' love was ridiculous.

I've been studying the heck out of the book of Romans lately. It's been great because I've begun to see this continuing contrast between the "church folks" and the "actual church" that Paul was ministering to in those days. The "church folks" were so proud of the list of regulations that defined who they were and set them apart from the society in which they lived. The "actual church" simply grabbed hold of the free gift of Christ and displayed it openly to that same society. The "church folks" disqualified others from becoming God's Chosen because of what they were unwilling to do. But the "actual church" made no assumptions about who could and could not be "saved."

The early church let the good news of the cross speak for itself... and they would scream this truth to everyone... everywhere... even if it meant dying a gruesome death. Their love was ridiculous.

In today's culture, self-sacrificial love to the point of death sounds just as extreme as it did back then. So many of us make excuses as to why we don't need to love like that. Christians and church doctrines manage to create unwritten laws that shield us from having to actually love like the Spirit of Christ so desperately wants us to. We take specific scriptures and turn them into shield for our own protection. Take Romans 12:1-2 for example:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Until recently, I'd only recognized this scripture as an instruction to "beware of society and it's influences." And it's true that the world does things way differently than the Holy Spirit does. But I've always overlooked the importance of "test and discern what is the will of God." You see, we cannot "test the will of God" if we are so far removed from society that we are out of touch. The same "enemy society" that we are to not become influenced by is also the same exact place where God has strategically placed us to seek His will for our lives and display the gifts and talents He has placed in us.

Sound impossible? It's really not... it just takes a ridiculous love for this lifestyle to be functional.

In actuality, it may appear to many as being very dysfunctional. But that's okay! This Christian walk was never meant to be something that caused us to take ourselves more seriously than we ought to anyway. To tell you the truth, Jesus said that the "actual church" would "confound the wise and shame the strong." So don't be afraid to be excessively full of life, hopeful, positive and patient when others try to make that difficult to do. Look for excuses to just randomly meet the needs of others... especially your enemies! That's love... that's the sort of thing that everyone, Christians and non-Christians, long for deep down inside. That's what the love of Christ is all about.

I'm challenging myself (and you) to reach out in some way to someone every single day... starting today. God has radically changed our lives. He has given us something that is more valuable than anything. It's time we share it, not from a soapbox or inside our church walls, but in the every day hustle and bustle of where we already exist...

...and be proactive because, chances are, if you don't then no one else will.

For further study, read Romans 12:1.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk