Crosswalk.com--The Devotional

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2009, 07:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Enough Already
by John UpChurch, Senior Editor, BibleStudyTools.com

"The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, 'Return home and tell how much God has done for you.' So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him." Luke 8:38-39

I knew I'd feel inadequate, but once they slapped the Journeyman mic on me and the congregation sauntered in, the word inadequate became inadequate. Over my head, crazy, off my rocker—those shot through my mind a time or two.

Yes, I had notes. Yes, I'd practiced. Yes, I'd taken public speaking courses. But none of those really prepares you to face a congregation on Sunday morning. Nothing gets you ready to reach into Scripture and yank out the good stuff. You're dealing with potent material here, the kind of thing you don't want to get wrong. And out there are the faces of those who may never come back through the door of a church again.

No pressure.

And that's how my first sermon started. Actually, I don't remember much of it. It just kind of started and then ended. If there weren't a recording, I don't think I'd even know what I said. But, alas, said recording does exist (no chance of being linked here), and the final verdict is... let's just say mixed. At least no one left, and given the size of the church, I would have noticed.

In many ways, I felt like that formerly demon-possessed man whom Jesus told to go tell it on the mountain. Jesus didn't give him much in the way of lessons or practice. He just sent the man home to talk about God healing him. And as far as we know, the man went and did just that. Since it made it into the gospel accounts, I'm chalking that up as a success. All the man needed to know was that Jesus healed him, and—boom—he started sharing the good news.

Too many times, I've been shut down by the notion that I need to know more before I can say more. I can't tell this person about Christ because I haven't finished my study on Galatians. I can't share how God changed me because I only spent 15 minutes in prayer this morning. I can't start a small group in my house because I'm not the perfect husband or dad.

It's hard for me to say, "Enough already." I know enough already to preach a sermon, even if I'll keep learning and growing for years. I know enough already to share that God wrenched me out of depression, even if I don't know how to answer every question about the Bible. I know enough already to share my home, even if I'm still working on keeping my smartphone off during family time.

After all, I know enough to know that Christ is the one who does the saving, not my faulty words.

Intersecting Faith and Life: Here's the secret. None of us will ever be adequate for sharing our faith, for discipling others, or for preaching God's Word. We just aren't. You could study your entire life and not be. So, shake that monkey off your spine and say, "Enough already!" You have enough to start.

You'll make mistakes; you'll blow it; you'll say dumb things. But it doesn't depend on you. You know enough because you know Christ. Keep growing and share from where you are.

For Further Reading

Luke 8:26

Colossians 2:1

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Live Like You Were Dating
by Shawn McEvoy, Crosswalk.com Managing Editor

Let marriage be held in honor among all..."
Hebrews 13:4

I heard the Tim McGraw song Live Like You Were Dying in the most unusual of places the other day - my head as I slept. Normally that's a huge annoyance, a song looping through my brain while I toss and turn. This time, however, I think I was so relieved it wasn't something by The Wiggles or VeggieTales that I went along for the ride.

Only thing is, I began to dream along with the music. As weird as that sounds, the dream varied just a bit from the theme of the song, which is: in order to make sure we don't take life for granted, we should check off that list of things we've always wanted to do, and do not go gently into that good night, but rather sit on top of angry bulls. Or something like that. Basically, you should act like you don't have much time left, because really you don't.

But the montage that played upon my closed eyelids wasn't about me, important moments, my death, or things I want to accomplish. Instead, I was treated to a slide show of moments from my courtship with Valerie. What fun life was then! The things we did, the places we went, the way we treasured each other and every moment together...

I awoke in a very good mood, even if I was confused about the connection between the song and the dream. On my drive to work some of the words from the song slapped me upside the head:

"... and I loved deeper, and I spoke sweeter, and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying..."

Ah, I see... that sentence sounded a lot like the guy I was when I was putting the moves on the tall, big-eyed, opinionated babe who liked my jokes. It did not sound so much like the ten-year married version of myself, who has been going through the motions.

Still I wondered: how can I live like I did then, when I have none of the freedoms afforded me during those years? Unless I'm mistaken, the very word "dating" implies occasionally going on a date...

I interrupt this devotional because at this point Valerie calls me from her cell phone saying she can't get the car to start. The ignition won't turn because the steering wheel is also locked, and she can't jiggle the keys or wheel enough to get either to turn. She's embarrassed, and I can hear her banging and straining away on the dashboard components. She thinks she's gonna be stuck in someone's driveway all day. I suggest looking in the owner's manual to see if there are suggestions. There aren't. We decide she'll have to call a Toyota dealer or Triple-A because I'm too far away to help. 10 minutes later I check in on her because I read online that she might want to use the parking break from now on to prevent this from happening again. Turns out that wasn't the problem. It was that she was trying to start her Camry with the key to my Corolla...

And so it occurs to me - not only can I count on my wife to spice up our life with a good laugh once in a while, but maybe our dating engine simply has to be redefined. It still exists, but it's not going to be started with the same set of keys that got it running 10 years ago. That doesn't mean it's not a reliable vehicle for shuttling us to all of life's events in a manner befitting our faith. If I could find a way to regularly appear as outwardly joyful as I inwardly feel whenever I reflect on how blessed I am to have such a mate, I'd go a long way towards helping fulfill the purpose for this marriage, which Valerie and I long ago decided was to be better for the Lord than we are apart. That felt easier when we were dating. So with a cue from Tim McGraw, here are some ideas...

Loving Deeper
"Love does not seek its own..." (1 Corinthians 13:5)

In Colossians 3:18-19, and again in Ephesians 5:24-25, we are quite simply told by Paul how this marriage thing is going to work. Unfortunately, I've heard the first half of those verse pairings - the "women submit" part - quoted and exercised far more often than the equally important "husbands love" portion. Remember how much easier those commands seemed back then? This was the most wonderful person in the world. They communicated well, never sought their own way; it would be so easy to submit to or actively display love for them. Then time, comfort, bad habits, and the daily grind got a hold of you both. Satan tossed clutter everywhere. Threw in some doubt. Sprayed super-green paint on your neighbor's lawn and spouse. Marriage, it turned out, was complicated. I'll be the first to attest to that, although the Bible doesn't really think it's so complex if you go by the fact that it's not dripping with verses on how to navigate the maze. You leave, you cleave, then you love/submit. Those simple instructions don't seem to get us very far down the path. In fact, they seem to take us happily up to the vows and leave us there. Perhaps that's the point. Perhaps there is no "trick" to loving deeper, you just need to get in touch with what it is you fell in love with this person for in the first place, and act on it, since it's not a feeling anyway.

Speaking Sweeter
"If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal..." (1 Corinthians 13:1)

This is where I need the most help, being gruff by nature. I'm pleasant enough to co-workers and strangers. I've even earned the nickname "Small-Talk" from one of my buddies, but for some reason, those I love the most are occasionally blessed with a symphony of grunts, groans, and snippy comments. Not only is that gruff nature part of the "former self," but I recall that it did not dare rear its head during our dating days. That's not just because I was trying to sell this woman on my finer qualities, but because I truly felt the love and respect for her that I was dishing out. I therefore gave no place to impatient or intellectually-superior speech. In the words of James, there were, when I was dating Valerie, precious few times when the same fountain sent out both fresh and bitter water. But gradually, as I failed to guard my tongue, I lazily allowed that small amount of bitterness to befoul the whole cistern. I don't want to give the impression that I stalk the grounds of my house grumpy and cursing when I'm actually a pretty decent husband and father, but this is where I need the most improvement in my relationships, and I know it. Harkening back to the days when I wrote poetry, quoted scripture, wooed from afar, and encouraged about the future has helped me to remember the importance of bridling my tongue. James says horses and great ships are steered by very small bits and rudders. Likewise, the direction of my marriage may be steered by brushing up on the language I spoke when dating.

Giving Forgiveness
"Love does not take into account a wrong suffered..." (1 Corinthians 13:5)

Do you often hear people saying, "I'll forgive, but I won't forget"? It's an especially popular thing to say with the camera in one's face on a reality TV program. Thank goodness that's not how the Lord defines forgiveness. He instead wipes out our transgressions, turns crimson to snow white (Isaiah 1:18), and divides us from sin as far as East is from West (Psalm 103:12). Which way is your marriage M.O. regarding wrongs done to you? Do you refuse to go to bed angry, do you grant mercy every morning, or do you have a little file drawer in the back of your brain that lists All the Stupid & Hurtful Things He's/She's Done to Me? Once again, think back to your courtship, and ask yourself how many little foibles, faux paus, and thoughtless words you let slide with little more than a tiny reprimand just because you were so in love.

We all get caught in those lulls in marriage where the wind isn't blowing, the air gets stale, and nothing new happens. And it's admittedly a tad trite to think living out some song lyrics is going to lift the doldrums, but it's worth a try. After all, one thing all married folks have in common is fond memories of meeting and dating our spouse; otherwise, hopefully, we never would have bound our lives to theirs in the first place. Looking back is a good way to appreciate all those things that led to the commitment.

Intersecting Faith & Life: If you've been married a while, try living like you were dating, even if actual dates are few and far between, and see if remembering your first love doesn't translate to renewing your first love.

Further Reading

Communication in Marriage

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

I'm a Hypocrite
by John UpChurch, Senior Editor, BibleStudyTools.com

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

The college-me would call the current-me a hypocrite. That's what I did back then. Anyone claiming to be a Christian automatically earned that prestigious title. I could judge, after all, because I sat in my lofty seat in the college library and weighed such grave matters in my head and in my poetry. My pencil could strike down any Christ-follower with a witty rhyme. I knew they were all fake.

So, I had a lot to learn about love. But I was right about the hypocrisy thing. The current me is, in fact, a hypocrite.

Jesus warned us not to be like the hypocrites, those who put on a show but don't let the show touch their hearts. And when I'm honest, that's exactly what I do sometimes. My worship becomes a series of movements, a tentative toe-tap into the spiritual waters. All the while, my mind has drifted off to my bank account, my schedule, and my Instagram feed.

That type of worship isn't worship. It's a show put on for my own gratification, one that makes me feel better about doing the "Christian thing." In those moments, I'm exactly what my college self accused me of.

Hypocrite.

Thankfully, Jesus warned me about all this ahead of time. When my body and mind get out of sync, when my devotion becomes a demonstration, His warnings inevitably hit me in the chin. Matthew 6 cues up on my audio Bible, His admonitions pop up on someone's blog, or I just catch myself in the act. That's when I see just how much I'm simply going through the motions.

Unlike my college self, who judged to feel superior, God unmasks hypocrisy because He wants me to get real. His gentle (and not-so-gentle) nudges snap me out of my one-man show.

Intersecting Faith and Life: When Jesus warned His followers about hypocrisy, He knew they'd need the reminder. He knew we would need the reminder two thousand years later. Why? Because humans like to put on a good show and we don't always live what we believe. Our hearts skip off like sheep while our bodies do those "Christian duties."

Thankfully, God's in the shepherding business. He knows how to shear that acting junk right off.

For Further Reading

Matthew 6:1

Isaiah 29:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

These Are the Fruit of the Spirit... Oh, Wait! I'm Missing One!
by Carrie Dedrick, Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Galatians 5:22-23a

Patience is a virtue.

Unfortunately, I don't have it.

I try to be patient, I really do. But I am about as high-strung, Type-A as they come and planning comes about as naturally to me as jam-packing my days with work, chores, and fun.

I was recently in a time of waiting when I was unemployed and searching for the right position for me. For nearly six months, I looked for work in a variety of industries, stretching way outside my comfort zone of writing and journalism.

But you know what happened?

I didn't find a position on my time. I was on the Lord's time, and it wasn't until I stopped making this job search so much about me that the perfect job came to me.

In hindsight, I realize that Jeremiah 29:11 should have been my mantra during this time.

"For I know the plans I have you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

My husband and I are moving out of our apartment in two short months and we are faced with a decision: Do we move into another apartment? Do we rent a house? Do we buy a house? Can we even afford to do that? I suppose that is really several decisions.

I'm in a period of waiting again as we look into our options and determine what is best for us. But this time I'm going to do it right. My husband will face our decisions in prayer.

What I learned last time is that it's not all about me. I trust that God has a perfect plan for me; he already knows where I'm going to live.

It's not easy for an obsessive planner like me to let go and prayerfully urge God to take control of my situation. And yet, I believe that God has my best interests at heart. After all, I am God's child, and he is cares deeply about me. My Father will take care of my situation in his time because I have humbly presented him with my plight.

Tomorrow my husband and I will go look at a house a third of a mile from our church. The house is a foreclosure and just went on the market. To us, it seems felicitous.

Ordinarily, I would go into freak-out mode and obsess to the point of not sleeping. A house would be the largest purchase of my life and there is so much to consider.

However, I am completely calm today, though it goes against my typical personality. It puts me at peace to give my worries to God; I don't know why I didn't do it before.

This house may be the one, but if it isn't, that's still okay. It won't be the end of the world. Maybe there is another house for us that hasn't even been put up for sale yet. Maybe there is a perfect house for us to rent or perhaps we will move into another apartment.

No matter what the future holds, God is in control of the situation. Our Lord is always with us; we are not going to slip his mind.

Major or trivial, cast your burdens upon the Lord. Then be patient. Things have a way of working out, if not they way or the in the time frame we thought they would.

Intersecting Faith and Life: Look within and consider which fruit of the spirit you struggle with. Is it patience like me? Perhaps it is faith or self-control. Whichever fruit you are "missing," pray for the Lord's help as you work to strengthen it.

Further Reading: Colossians 3:12
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The King's Test
by Ryan Duncan, Crosswalk.com Culture Editor

The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out. - Proverbs 10:9

There's an old folktale I'd like to share today if you don't mind.

Once upon a time, there lived a king who was beloved by all his subjects. Though he was a wise and just ruler he was also old, and had no heir to take his place when he died. The king decided to hold a contest so that he might choose a successor, and sent out a decree for all the kingdom's children to gather at his palace. Once the last boy and girl had arrived, the king placed them all in single file and gave to each of them a seed.

"Take these seeds and plant them in good soil." He commanded, "In one year's time, return to the palace with your flowers. I will examine how much they have grown and how well you have cared for them, the one who impresses me the most will become the new king."

So the children set off into the land and the kingdom waited eagerly for a year to pass. On the day of their return, a large crowd gathered at the palace to try and guess which shrub the king would choose. Some of the children appeared holding giant flowers with strong stalks, others had beautiful petals that gave off a sweet aroma. The king examined them all with great interest until he came upon a boy holding nothing but a jar of dirt.

"What have we here?" asked the king, "Didn't I say to go plant your seed and return with it in a year's time?"

"My king," the boy answered timidly, "I did everything you told me to do. I planted your seed in the best soil I could find. I gave it plenty of sunlight, and made sure it was watered every day, but it wouldn't grow no matter what I did! So I've brought you all I've managed to accomplish, please forgive me."

The king smiled broadly and raised his voice to address the crowed,

"The contest is over. This boy shall become my heir. The seeds I gave the children a year ago had been cooked and died, they could never have taken root or bloomed. Many children brought me beautiful plants today, but only one came with integrity, and for that he shall be rewarded."           

We live in a world that puts a lot of value in how things appear, but God is looking for followers who speak honestly and live with integrity. When we live a lifestyle that honors truth, we're living a life that honors God.

Intersecting Faith and Life: Remember that God desires Christians to live their lives openly and without shame. Are you doing so?

Further Reading

Titus 2:1-14

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Easter: All That Matters vs. All I Live For
by Shawn McEvoy, Crosswalk.com Managing Editor

He has risen, just as He said.
Matthew 28:6, NIV

What would I ever do if someone I knew came back from the dead? Especially if he had said he would, and if he had spent a couple nights in a grave already?

Seriously, what would I do? What would you do? Wouldn't I blab to everyone I know - and most people I don't - about this miraculous event? Heck, I tell everyone when I'm feeling under the weather or when I saw a good movie.

Then factor in that the same guy was now telling us that because of what he had done, none of the rest of us would ever have to suffer death. What's more, simply by believing what we had seen, no matter our background, history, race, or education, we could restore our long-lost connection with the Almighty, and live forever.

Man... unfortunately, I'm having a hard time conceiving what I would do. Or, even if I can conceive it, I can't quite believe it, because honestly, I have seen this, I do believe this, and yet my daily reaction to it doesn't exactly line up with The Acts of the Apostles.

Has the news of a resurrected savior really become passe?

Why don't I want to read Acts?

What am I afraid of?

That I'll be rejected?

(He who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit (1 Thess. 4:8)).

That I won't be powerful enough?

(God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline (2 Tim. 1:7)).

That the good news isn't relevant enough?

Salvation and the message of the resurrection, the miracle of born again-ness, is a salve to all wounds.

This Easter I'll join choruses like "He's Alive" while pondering and praising the miracle, but when it comes time for the next day of my life to begin, a day and a life that means nothing if not lived for my Savior, it'll be all about me again and my troubles and making my way and who cut me off and what I have to get done and who I don't like and what can we complain about today.

Yuck.

I want this Easter to be real. Because I did see it happen (so to speak; the resulting spread of those who ran to the corners of the earth to tell the story with no regard for personal safety is traceable to this day), it is real, and I'm cheating life and people God loves if I'm not shouting those facts from every corner and rooftop I can find. Everything else is just window dressing; "Christian living" is often just how we pass all our extra time in this country where so many of our basic needs are so easily met, and where we can cordon ourselves off from each other. What matters in life?

That there is life, and...
how it came about that there might never be death, but...
there are still dead men walking.
Really, why else are we here if not to keep excitedly shouting the truth of the miracle as if we'd just experienced it with our own eyes yesterday?

Intersecting Faith & Life: For the longest time, I've felt a leading in my heart to launch out into a complete study of the book of Acts, something I've never fully done. For some reason, I continue to put it off. But in my quest this year to make Easter real, I'm beginning a study of what those who witnessed the resurrection couldn't keep themselves from going out and doing. Care to join me?

Further Reading
Acts 1:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Stinky Feet
by Laura MacCorkle

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

"How Deep the Father's Love for Us"
Words & Music by Stuart Townend

Today is Thursday, the fifth day of Holy Week. And many Christians know it as Maundy Thursday.

The word maundy means "a new commandment" and is derived from the Latin word Mandatum in translating Jesus' commandment in John 13:34-35.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Before he said that, Jesus had demonstrated his love that same evening during the Last Supper, as he humbled himself and washed his disciples' feet (John 13:4-5). This act perfectly illustrated his new command.

So he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

After reading this, I can only imagine what washing someone else's stinky feet must be like.

Think about where your feet have been—especially if you live in a back-to-nature, shoe-optional locale. This starts getting very up close and personal. And, depending on the individual and their hygiene habits or lack thereof, perhaps not too pleasant. Washing another's feet is not a glamorous act of service at all. But neither is anything related to the role of a servant, since it represents a position of humility and a mindset of putting others first.

In this day and age, I know there are certain churches that do have foot-washing services on Maundy Thursday to commemorate Christ's actions and his command. I have not participated in one like this, but I am sure it is a great object lesson to help all ages understand how to love one another.

Taking this a step further, The Bible Knowledge Commentary has this to say about foot-washing:

"Foot-washing was needed in Palestine. The streets were dusty and people wore sandals without socks or stockings. It was a mark of honor for a host to provide a servant to wash a guest's feet; it was a breach of hospitality not to provide for it. . . . [Jesus] had done a humble service for [the disciples]. Meeting others' needs self-sacrificially is what they ought to do too. . . . This passage emphasizes inner humility, not a physical rite. . . . Not to follow the example of Jesus is to exalt oneself above him and to live in pride. No servant is greater than his master (cf John 12:26)."

So when we humble ourselves and serve the Lord as he served us, it is he who lifts us up. When we love Christ, he changes our hearts and motivates us to love others. And if showing this love means washing some stinky feet or its modern-day equivalent, then every day should become like Maundy Thursday in our hearts.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and keep my laws (Ezek. 36:26-27).

Intersecting Faith & Life: Who is God impressing upon your heart today? Is he calling you to show love to this person? Determine your course of action that will show a humble heart: make a phone call, send a note, lend a hand, speak a kind word or wash some feet. And then follow through as you love one another.

Further Reading:

Luke 10:27, MSG

John 15:13, NIV

"Oh How He Loves You and Me"
Words & Music by Kurt Kaiser

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

I Am Pilate
by Katherine Britton

"What is truth?" Pilate asked.
John 19:38

This week I met one of the most understandable yet guilty figures in the Bible. This man desperately tried to convince himself that he could control his circumstances. He had a vague intuition for what was right, but he was constantly torn between catering to the crowd and bullying them to show his power. He was overwhelmed by material consequences and implications. And in three simple words, he revealed the heart of his stubborn weakness.

As I again read Pontius Pilate's interview Jesus, I wondered how a man could stare the Son of God in the face, find Him not guilty, and yet condemn Him to death. Each Gospel offers some perspective on why. In reading their accounts, I found that Pilate's deep flaws were eerily similar to those I see in myself.

You see, I think Pilate had a modern mind. As a Roman, he wasn't very "into" religion. Belief in the gods – and the emperor as a god – were vestiges of an older system by his time, now adopted as a form of patriotism. His real religion would have been in the glorious Roman Empire, the unconquerable empire-without-end. This thoroughly material belief would have dominated the thoughts of a Roman procurator such as Pilate. He had no room in his world for the supernatural.

All that was called into question when they brought in Jesus. At that point, Pilate's religion showed its consequences in his character.

Demand for Material Answers

From first to last, Pilate's questions to Jesus involve politics and facts. Jesus' answers were unintelligible, because Pilate was asking the wrong questions. Pilate couldn't understand supernatural answers because he was thoroughly material. He thought the world could be interpreted through distinct movements and verifiable facts. He couldn't accept any mystery in faith, and so he rejected the Messiah as another man.

False Sense of Power

Pilate's religion of materialism forced him to rely on position. He told Jesus, "Don't you know that I have the authority to release you and the authority to crucify you?" (John 19:10) I'm sure he fully believed that authority was his. Jesus corrected Pilate by telling him that his power was given "from above," which probably shook Pilate just a little. I think at that point Pilate realized that control was slipping away from him, and he did everything he could to regain it.

Blinded by Consequences

Pilate wanted to pretend that he wasn't really responsible for Jesus' death. He made a few feeble attempts to stick up for Jesus before the crowd, which probably counted as a good deed in Pilate's mind. But he ultimately backed down and washed his hands of Jesus' fate, because he "wished to satisfy the crowd." (Mark 15:22) He proclaimed the truth as "not dangerous" but chose not to intervene when it was attacked.

Refusal to See Truth

I think Pilate's most telling statement of all came right in the middle of the dialogue. Jesus says, "For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world – to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." (John 18:37) I can just see Pilate throwing up his hands in exasperation and asking a rhetorical question: "What is truth!" Face to face with the reality of Jesus, the Son of God, Pilate chose to keep his relativism. The great empire with its power was enough for Pilate. And so he refused the Gospel.

I Am Pilate

How many times have I refused to believe a biblical promise because I don't see how it applies to my worldly situation? How often do I refuse to surrender my circumstances to God's plan for me, pretending I'm in control? How often have I made benign comments when the Gospel is attacked and then retreated? How many times have I refused to draw lines for what is right or to recognize sin for what it is in my life?

Ultimately, these "character flaws"—really, sins—tempt us to believe that Truth isn't Truth. We are tempted to deny that Christ had to die to free us from ourselves. I know that acknowledging the Gospel means my life has to change, and my human nature doesn't want that. But the glory of the cross is that we are changed, and thrown into a life far bigger than anything on this earth – Jesus' incredible love. That's what Pilate refused to see. That's what we can't afford to miss.

Intersecting Faith & Life: Christ went to the cross because of the sin of the world, including Pilate and you and me. How much pain do we bring Him when we refuse to believe? On this Good Friday, consider how often you respond like Pilate. Let's use this Easter opportunity to repent and start with a new framework.

Further Reading:

John 18:28-40
Luke 23:1-25
Mark 15:1-15
Matthew 27:11-31
Being Confident of God's Plan

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Resurrected
by Sarah Phillips

I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the LORD. The stone which the builders rejected has become the head of the corner. This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
Psalms 118: 17, 22-23

Most of you celebrated the Lord's resurrection yesterday. For many, it was a glorious day of rejoicing in the miraculous. It was a day where you reflected not only on the event 2,000 years ago, but on the resurrections in your own life. The day you accepted Christ. The day a long-awaited prayer was answered. The day sickness was healed or sorrow wiped away.

For others, this day only served as a reminder of your cross. You felt like you got left at Good Friday, weeping, while the rest of the world moved on to Easter Sunday. You wish you could celebrate, but you don't know how. You may have even apologized to God for your somberness.

You're not alone, I assure you.

In the past few months I've watched several Good Friday's and Easters play out in the lives of those around me. Engagements and babies ushered in cries of rejoicing and praises to God. Yet, cancer, infidelity, and financial hardship occurred uncomfortably close to these joyful events.

Most of life is like this. Happiness, unmixed, is not easy to come by.

So how do we deal with this reality? How do we deal with Good Friday and Easter coexisting?

I think we start with recognizing that the first Easter, the real Easter, was not just one event in time that occurred long ago. Christ's resurrection spanned the ages and has eternal consequences. It applies to you and me today just as much as it did to Christ's followers on Easter morning. It also applies to the future. Our hope, no matter where we may be today, is in the transforming truth of Easter.

Secondly, I think we need to remember that true faith in God does not rely on our emotions. If you cried on Easter morning because life has been wearing you down, God still accepts you. In fact, he died and rose for you so that he could more closely walk with you through these hard times. He knows, more than anyone, the heaviness of the cross.

Third, I think we need to remember that as awe-struck as Christ's first followers felt after his resurrection, they still didn't know what it fully meant... for humanity or for their personal lives. While the resurrection brought their beloved Rabbi back to them, he was different now. The resurrection simultaneously healed some wounds while opening a new can of questions, insecurities, fears, and even pain - at least temporarily.

Ultimately, all Good Friday's will lead to joyful Easter mornings if we cling to Christ. Whether you are in a season of hardship, rejoicing, or a mix of both, the key is to keep walking in faith one step at a time. Only the risen Christ can guide us through the foggy path of life. And when our final Easter morning arrives, we'll finally see with clarity that the journey was worth it.

Intersecting Faith & Life: Reflect on the "little resurrections" in your life - the times God answered a prayer in a very tangible way, the blessings in your life, and the miracles you've witnessed. All these serve as reminders of the great work God will continue to do in your life.

Further Reading

Acts 2:14, 22-33
Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11
Matthew 28:8-15

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Bread and Stones
by Ryan Duncan, Crosswalk.com Culture Editor

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. – John 16:33

I have always had trouble with the following verses in Matthew 7,

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"- Matthew 7:7-11

I first heard this verse when I was a little kid, and like most children, I tried to take full advantage of it. I prayed for toys, for snow days in winter, or that I'd get to watch an extra hour of TV that day. As you might expect, these prayers didn't always get positive results. As I got older, my prayers became a little more mature, only they still didn't always get answered. These weren't selfish prayers either.

I would pray that my friend's dad would find a job, or that sick members of our congregation would be healed. So why did my prayers go unanswered? Some groups would say that if you just have enough faith God will make your life perfect, and nothing bad will ever happen to you again. Well, if you look at the lives of the apostles, you'll see that philosophy doesn't hold water. They were Jesus' first disciples, and they spent their lives in prison, beaten by mobs, or facing execution under the Roman Empire.

So what does this mean for us? I think it means we live in a world full of Sin, and bad things are going to happen. It means that sometimes when God answers our prayers, what is needed turns out to be much different than what we wanted. Maybe you prayed that someone would find a job, but instead God asks you to be a friend in a tough time. Maybe you asked for an opportunity to serve abroad, but instead God tells you to serve the people next door. Sometimes we pray for healing, but what God gives us is a shoulder to cry on.

Life will always be hard. At times, we will be tempted to believe that God either doesn't exist or doesn't care. But though our ability to understand God's purposes is limited, we can take comfort in the knowledge that his love is limitless. God never abandon us, he is there for us in our times of joy and to help us in our times of pain, if we only let him.

Intersecting Faith and Life: Are there unanswered prayers weighing on your heart? Take a moment to reflect on Christ and know that he loves you.

Further Reading

Psalm 23

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk