Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Bible Pathways - Apr. 23, 2009

April 23
Read I Kings 5 -- 7

Highlights In Today's Reading:

Solomon makes great plans for the construction of the Temple. Check out how many years it took before Solomon begins to build the House of God and how long before he began accumulating horses (6:37 — 7:1).
The Temple was called the House of God where the Lord chose to put His Name (Deut. 12:5). It was sacred because the two tables, written with the finger of God (Ex. 31:18; Deut. 10:4), were located within the Holy of Holies where the presence of God dwelt (I Kin. 8:6-9).

When the House of God was built, it was constructed of stone made ready before it was brought thither (in): so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the House, while it was in building (6:7). This illustrates that, regardless of how surrounded we are with all the noise and activity of the world, deep within our hearts dwells the peace of God, which passeth all understanding (Phil. 4:7).

The quiet erection of the Temple in Jerusalem also illustrates the unnoticed manner in which God dwells within our hearts. It should also be a strong reminder to us not to mistake noise for spiritual progress. We tend to measure the importance of things by the excitement they generate.

However, we are to be conformed to the image of His Son (Rom. 8:29) into His glorious image, not by noisy, exciting human activity, but silently by the power of the Holy Spirit, as day by day He perfects His Temple within every believer (II Cor. 3:18; comp. Zech. 4:6).

Solomon's Temple was truly glorious because in it was the presence of God (I Kin. 8:10-11). But the Temple, with all its glory, could not compare to Christ in us who is our glory. We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us (II Cor. 4:7).

Every child of God is more precious to our Heavenly Father than Solomon's Temple, since you are the Temple of God, and . . . the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. . . . If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which Temple ye are. . . . And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's (I Cor. 3:16-17,23).

There is much noise and confusion in the world; but when we let Christ do His work in our hearts, we experience quietness, contentment, and sweet peace.

The mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations . . . now is made manifest to His saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col. 1:26-27).

Thought for Today:

Unfortunately, most "spiritual" fanfare only lifts up the one making the noise. The real excitement should be over what Jesus is doing, not over us.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Temple (I Kin. 6). Christ is the true Temple (John 2:21). Through Christ all may have access to God (Rom. 5:12-21). Through Him we . . . have access by one Spirit unto the Father (Eph. 2:18).
Word Studies:

5:3 under the soles of his feet =under his control; 5:4 evil occurrent =evil happenings, no one to oppose; 5:13 levy =forced labor; 6:2 a cubit =about 18 inches; 6:5 oracle =Holy of Holies. Oracle in I Kings 8:8-9 =inner sanctuary, location of the two tables of stone. God cannot be separated from His Word whether spoken or written; 6:38 month (of) Bul =October/November; 7:4 ranks =rows; 7:9 coping =the top, the highest course of stone; 7:14 cunning =skilled.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts sponsored by Thursday Morning Prayer • Staff: Benjamin Wallace • Government Official: Rep. Fred Upton (MI) • Country: Italy (58 million) in southern Europe • Major languages: Italian and German • Religious freedom • 81% Roman Catholic; .4% Protestant; .1% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Boldly and confidently go to God in prayer through Jesus' Name (Eph. 3:12).
Optional Reading: Acts 24

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:13
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 24
Read I Kings 8

What a tremendous chapter! The Temple is finally completed, furnished, and dedicated. Solomon prays. Envision a humongous display of pageantry as the priests carry in the Ark and other sacred items. The cloud of the glory of the Lord fills the House as trumpet players, and singers with cymbals . . . psalteries and harps . . . were (all) as one (II Chron 5:12-14). WOW! You will love it!
The glorious day had arrived for the dedication of the Temple on Mount Moriah in Jerusalem. In the eleventh year, in the . . . eighth month, was the House finished. . . . So was he seven years in building it (I Kin. 6:38).

Just prior to the dedication, Solomon assembled the elders of Israel . . . in Jerusalem, that they might bring up the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord out of the City of David, which is Zion. . . . And the priests brought in the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord unto . . . the Most Holy Place (8:1,6). God dwelt above the Mercy Seat of the Ark (Ex. 25:22). Now there was nothing in the Ark save (except) the two tables of stone, which Moses put there at Horeb (Sinai) centuries before (I Kin. 8:9). After the Ark was placed in the Holy of Holies, the glory of the Lord . . . filled the House of the Lord (8:11). This was a visible reminder that the God of Israel was in their midst.

As the people stood in the courtyard and worshiped the Lord, Solomon stood (on a platform) before the altar (of burnt offerings) of the Lord in the presence of all the congregation of Israel, and spread forth his hands toward heaven: And he said, Lord God of Israel, there is no God like Thee . . . who keepest covenant and mercy with Thy servants that walk before Thee with all their heart (8:22-23). Solomon stressed the necessity of faithfulness to the Word of God (8:61).

The Israelites were chosen to let the world know there is only One True God. That all people of the earth may know Thy Name, to fear Thee, as do Thy people Israel. . . . let Him not leave us, nor forsake us: That He may incline our hearts unto Him, to walk in all His ways, and to keep His Commandments. . . . That all the people of the earth may know that the Lord is God, and that there is none else (8:43,57-58,60). The one true God includes just Three Persons: God the Father, Jesus who is God the son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Solomon concluded: Let your heart therefore be perfect (blameless) with the Lord our God, to walk in His statutes, and to keep His Commandments (I Kin. 8:61).

Thought for Today:

Prayer is a wonderful privilege given to us by God, but all our prayers are worthless unless we are obedient to His Word.
Christ Revealed:

As the perfect Temple of God before whom all kings of the earth one day must bow (I Kin. 8:54; John 2:19-21). Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a Name which is above every name (Phil. 2:9-10).
Word Studies:

8:2 Ethanim (later called Tishri) =ept/Oct; 8:37 blasting =light; 8:47 bethink themselves =earn their lesson and repent.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Official: Rep. Jack Kingston (GA) • Country: Jamaica (3 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: English and Creole • Religious freedom • 78% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 7% Afro-American spiritist • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you strength for today's need (Eph. 3:14-16).
Optional Reading: Acts 25

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 25
Read I Kings 9 -- 11

God visits Solomon again and explains the two paths before him and their consequences (9:2-9). They are the same that He puts before us! Solomon's fame spreads, but, sadly, chapters 10 & 11 explain his shame. The rules for Israel's kings are outlined (Deut. 17:14-20). Note that Solomon ignored all of them. Although used by God in writing Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes, and much of Proverbs, Solomon gradually forsakes the Lord and worships idols (I Kin. 11:4-10). He is an example of: What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matt. 16:26).
When Solomon, the chosen son of King David, began his reign we had high hopes for him being a spiritual man of God, for we read: Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of David his father (I Kin. 3:3). God gave four guidelines for every king (as well as for every Christian) to observe. (1) The king was to be a diligent student of the Word of God. He was to read it all the days of his life (Deut. 17:18-20).

Did Solomon think that he was just too busy building his empire to take time to write him a copy of this Law (17:18)? Perhaps he thought that later on he would have more time. It is not surprising that not one prophet of God was prominent during Solomon's ambitious reign. (2) The kings of Israel were not to greatly multiply to himself silver and gold (Deut. 17:17). But, the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold (I Kin. 10:14). (3) He was not to multiply horses to himself (Deut. 17:16). But, Solomon had a thousand and four hundred chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen (I Kin. 10:26). Solomon's massive fortifications impressed the nations of the world. But they were a violation of the Word of God. (4) The king was not to multiply wives to himself (Deut. 17:17). But, Solomon loved many strange (foreign) women (I Kin. 11:1). He chose daughters of pagan kings for his wives, but there is no record that he chose godly daughters of Israel.

It is no surprise that the Lord was angry with Solomon, because . . . he kept not that which the Lord commanded. Wherefore the Lord said unto Solomon . . . I will surely rend the kingdom from thee (11:9-11).

How tragic that some today are intent on following in the footsteps of Solomon. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked (Jer. 17:9).

Thought for Today:

To avoid the sorrows that disobedience brings into our lives, we need to read the Word of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By David who lived to please the Lord in integrity of heart (I Kin. 9:4). Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man (Luke 2:52).
Word Studies:

9:8 hiss =coff, ridicule; 9:13 Cabul =nproductive wasteland; 9:15 levy =ax in the form of forced labor; 9:22 bondmen =laves, forced laborers; 9:24 Millo = mound of earth raised as a fortress just north of Mount Zion and outside the original city of David; 10:2 train =oyal attendants; 10:5 there was no more spirit in her =he was breathless, overwhelmed, amazed; 10:19 stays =rmrests; 10:21 nothing accounted of =ot considered of value; 10:24 sought to =onsulted with; 10:26 bestowed =tationed; 11:1 strange =oreign; 11:5 abomination =orrible, detestable idol; 11:31 rend =ear.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Mary Kay Wagner • Government Official: Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ) • Country: Japan (126.7 million) off the eastern coast of Asia • Major language: Japanese • Religious freedom • 49% Buddhist; 45% Shintoist; 1% Christian; 5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for your brothers and sisters that they might be filled with spiritual discernment and the fullness of Christ (Eph. 3:14-19).
Optional Reading: Acts 26

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 26
Read I Kings 12 -- 13

Rehoboam accepts advice from foolish youth instead of wisdom gained from experience by the elders. Guidance from God prepares the nation to fall. Selfish ambition in the two key people here, Jeroboam and Rehoboam, leads the nation to split into the Northern Kingdom and the Southern Kingdom. We learn the consequences of not obeying the commands of God (13:11-32).
After Solomon's death, ten of the twelve tribes immediately formed the Northern Kingdom of Israel with Jeroboam as king. This division of the nation had been foretold to Jeroboam by the prophet Ahijah long before Solomon's death (11:29-38).

God had promised Jeroboam: If thou wilt hearken unto all that I command thee, and wilt walk in My ways, and do that is right in My sight, to keep My Statutes and My Com mandments, as David My servant did; that I will be with thee, and build thee a sure house, as I built for David (11:38). But, Jeroboam said in his heart . . . If this people go up to do sacrifice in the House of the Lord at Jerusalem, then shall the heart of this people turn again unto their lord, even unto Rehoboam king of Judah, and they shall kill me (12:26-27).

After his position as king was secure, he rejected the Lord's appointed place of worship in Jerusalem. He then established an idolatrous system of worship, setting up two golden calf worship centers -- one in Dan and the other in Bethel -- thus destroying the God-given spiritual ties between northern and southern Israel (12:28-29).

The faithful Levite priests fled to the Southern Kingdom (II Chr. 11:14). After this thing Jeroboam returned not from his evil way, but made again of the lowest of the people priests of the high places: whosoever would, he consecrated him, and he became one of the priests of the high places. And this thing became sin unto the house of Jeroboam, even to cut it off, and to destroy it from off the face of the earth (I Kin. 13:33-34).

Jeroboam's actions are reenacted today by all who set aside the Word of God -- in business transactions, on the job, in school, or anywhere else -- for self-advancement. Oh, how important it is to know the Scriptures and to cast out anything in our lives that would hinder us from following God with a true heart!

God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).

Thought for Today:

Whenever we determine to worship anything or anyone other than the One True God, we are setting ourselves up for destruction.
Christ Portrayed:

Through Shemaiah who spoke for the Lord (I Kin. 12:22). Jesus spoke only what the Father told Him. I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a Commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak (John 12:49).
Word Studies:

12:14 scorpions =scourges with sharp points; 12:32 high places =pagan shrines; 13:6 intreat =plead in prayer; 13:32 cried =shouted, declared.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Radio Sri Lanka Shortwave Broadcasts for the week in honor of John Risca Williams, Sr. • Government Official: Rep. Niki Tsongas (MA) • Country: Jordan (5 million) in southwestern Asia • Major languages: Arabic and English • Religious tolerance • 93% Muslim; 5% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Praise and thank the Lord that He can do exceedingly more than we ask or even think (Eph. 3:20).
Optional Reading: Acts 27

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:14
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 27
Read I Kings 14 -- 15

Remember our sins will find us out (Num. 32:23). Jeroboam pays dearly for his sins (13:33-34) by the death of his son (14:1-16). Rehoboam is not much better! From here on we see one king follow another, leaving a legacy of evil in the sight of the Lord (15:26,34) or that which was right in the eyes of the Lord (15:5,11). Whether what we do today is in line with the Word of God will direct what will be said of us when we're gone!
Jeroboam set up worship centers at Bethel near the Kingdom of Judah in the south and at Dan in the north for his kingdom. The Southern Kingdom of Judah was greatly influenced to worship the Lord because the Levites (in the Northern Kingdom) left . . . their possession, and came to Judah and Jerusalem . . . So they strengthened the Kingdom of Judah . . . for three years they walked in the way of David (II Chr. 11: 14,17). But, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom . .. . he forsook the Law of the Lord (12:1-2). Rehoboam followed the policy of his father Solomon in being "broadminded" and "tolerant" of other religions. This could be expected of Rehoboam since his mother was an Ammonitess (I Kin. 14:21).

Although the kingdom of Judah did not forsake the prescribed order of the Temple services, Judah did evil in the sight of the Lord, and they provoked Him to jealousy. . . . And there were also sodomites (male cult prostitutes) in the land: and they did according to all the abominations (detestable practices) of the nations which the Lord cast out before the children of Israel (14:22-24). When Israel first entered the land, God declared: There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel (Deut. 23:17).

Because of their sin, God withdrew His blessings and protection from Judah. And it came to pass in the fifth year of king Rehoboam, that Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem: And he took away the treasures of the House of the Lord, and the treasures of the king's house; he even took away all (I Kin. 14:25-26). The kingdom not only lost all its wealth but now it was under the control of Egypt.

In his later years, Solomon had encouraged the worship of false gods which increased during the reign of his son Rehoboam. Biblical history confirms that once cults and false worship become acceptable in a nation, they are followed by the acceptance of homosexuality and lesbianism.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold (suppress) the truth in unrighteousness (Rom. 1:18).

Thought for Today:

Sin never has the same influence upon us but rather always gets progressively worse. The flesh (sin nature) is never satisfied.
Christ Revealed:

In Asa's ridding the land of idols and sodomites (I Kin. 15:11-14). Christ cleansed the Temple (Matt. 21:12-13; John 2:13-17). As Christians, we are the Temples of God, bought with His own blood (I Cor. 6:19-20; II Cor. 6:16-17) and are cleansed of all unrighteousness when we confess our sins (I John 1:9).
Word Studies:

14:3 cracknels =cakes or fig bars; 14:5 feign herself =pretend; 14:6 heavy tidings =very sad news; 14:15 groves =pagan idol shrines; 15:12 took away the Sodomites =banished homosexual male prostitutes; 15:17 suffer =allow or permit.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts in memory of Henry Rogers • Staff: Ken Sharp • Government Officials: Rep. George Butterfield (NC) and Rep. Betsy Markey (CO) • Country: Kazakhstan (15.4 million) central Asia • Major languages: Kazakh and Russian • Religious tolerance • 47% Muslim (largely Sunni); 25% Russian Orthodox; 2% Lutheran; 2% Catholic; 1% Jewish; 2.3% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to reveal His will and fill you with His Spirit (Eph. 5:17-18).
Optional Reading: Acts 28

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Bible Pathways - Apr. 28, 2009

April 28
Read I Kings 16 -- 18

We have kings of the Northern Kingdom of Israel and different kings of the Southern Kingdom of Judah. Baasha, 3rd king of the Northern Kingdom, has just assassinated his predecessor, Nadab, and murdered the royal family (15:27-29). We open with the prophecy of the Lord against Baasha as he and his family end up like Nadab and his family — what you sow, you shall reap (16:1-7; comp. Gal. 6:7). Several other evil kings follow until we get to Omri who wrought evil . . . worse than all that were before him (16:25). Read all the details of the thrilling battle between one good man and a nation of evil men (chap. 17 — 18).
Ahab, the king of Samaria, was one of the most powerful kings ever to rule the Northern Kingdom. But, Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the Lord above all that were before him. And it came to pass, as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, that he took to wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Zidonians, and went and served Baal, and worshipped him. . . . and Ahab did more to provoke the Lord God of Israel to anger than all the kings of Israel that were before him (16:30-33).

There was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the Lord, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up (21:25). Jezebel had a zeal for her false god Baal; therefore, all who worshiped the One True God Jehovah were persecuted or killed (18:4,13; 19:14).

Elijah must have felt that his efforts to restore true worship of Jehovah were in vain and his ministry worthless. But, the Word of the Lord came unto him, saying . . . I have commanded the ravens to feed thee. . . . I have commanded a widow woman . . . to sustain thee (17:2-9). God had not yet revealed to Elijah that the wicked queen, Jezebel, would seek to destroy him. But the grace of God is always sufficient when the hour of need arises.

God often allows us to face unusual and difficult situations in order to remind us of our absolute dependence upon Him. Through difficulties, we discover whether our confidence is in the Lord, in favorable circumstances, or in self.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias (Elijah) was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not (James 5:16-17).

Thought for Today:

It is sometimes hard to understand how wicked people can be so prosperous until we understand that God chastens those whom He loves (Rev. 3:19).
Christ Portrayed:

By Elijah, whom God used to provide flour and oil for the needy widow at Zarephath (I Kin. 17:13-16). Christ our Provider supplies all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

17:16 wasted not =was not used up; 17:17 sore =severe; 18:4 cut off =murdered; 18:19 eat at Jezebel's table =are supported by Jezebel; 18:21 halt =waver, undecided.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Staff: Clarence Rathbone • Government Official: Rep. Tom Cole (OK) • Country: Kenya (29 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Swahili • Religious freedom • 46% Protestant; 27% Roman Catholic; 17% belief in mystical powers; 6% Muslim; 3% Eastern Orthodox • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks to the Lord for all things (Eph. 5:19-20).
Optional Reading: Romans 1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 29
Read I Kings 19 -- 20

The story continues as wicked Queen Jezebel lays plans to meet Elijah to morrow (19:2). He is miraculously sustained by angels and we read what he goes through and where he finally finds God (19:9-12). Read the plan of God to save the nation and provide a successor for Elijah (19:15-19). God uses wicked Ahab and proves to him that I am the Lord (20:28-34).
When God sent fire from heaven to burn up the sacrifice on the altar that Elijah had built on Mount Carmel, he expected the miracle to turn the nation from Baal worship and bring about national repentance. Apparently, Elijah believed that the miraculous fire from heaven and the end of the drought would prove that Baal was a false god, and could even result in Ahab and Jezebel's conversion. This would mean a return to Jerusalem, the only God-appointed worship center, and the kingdoms of Judah and Israel would once again become a united nation. But when Jezebel proclaimed that she would have him put to death, Elijah assumed he had failed to turn not only Ahab and Jezebel but the nation as well.

In fear of Jezebel's threat to kill him, Elijah, in this hour of deep disappointment, fled south beyond the border of his country into the desert and cried out to God: It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers (19:4). The Lord permitted this moment of despair and loneliness so the prophet would look beyond outward appearances and listen to the still small voice of God (19:12).

God did not rebuke or punish Elijah for becoming discouraged. God could have said: "Shame on you." But, instead, He lovingly comforted Elijah by providing for his physical needs and sent an angel to supply nourishment after his long journey (19:5-6). Our loving Heavenly Father is much more compassionate than some of our friends. Often our mountaintop spiritual victories will be quickly followed by opposition or a time of desert testing. Never forget, we are not called to be successful, but faithful. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise (Heb. 10:35-36).

There are times we may become so discouraged that we feel our lives are not counting for God. But, like Elijah, we too have the same loving Heavenly Father who will minister to us and encourage our hearts.

Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not (Gal. 6:9).

Thought for Today:

It does not matter how influential or powerful we think we are; sooner or later we all need the loving provision and care of God.
Christ Portrayed:

By the unnamed prophet who prophesied victory to King Ahab so that he would know his destiny was controlled by God: Thou shalt know that I am the Lord (I Kin. 20:13,28). Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 15:57).
Word Studies:

19:8 Horeb =Mount Sinai; 19:14 jealous =zealous; 19:21 instruments =yokes; 20:11 harness =armor; 20:12 set yourselves in array =get ready to attack; 20:24 rooms =positions, places.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Bernice Rathbone • Government Officials: Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (NJ) and Sen. Debbie Stabenow (MI) • Country: Kirabati (86,000) 3 islands in southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Gilbutese • Religious freedom • 52% Roman Catholic; 44% Protestant; 2% Baha'i • Prayer Suggestion: Wives, ask the Lord to give you a submissive spirit to your husbands as if it were to the Lord (Eph. 5:22).
Optional Reading: Romans 2

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 30
Read I Kings 21 -- 22

God sends His man to confront Ahab openly. The doom of Ahab is predicted (21:17-24) and comes to pass in 22:37-38. Jehoshaphat is a king doing right in the eyes of the Lord (22:43).
Near the end of Ahab's reign, a total of 40 verses is taken up with his death and the events that led to it. There was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the Lord, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. And he did very abominably in following idols (21:25-26). God gave him a miraculous victory over the Syrian king Ben-hadad at Aphek (20:28-30). Although Ahab made no covenant with the Lord, he did make a covenant with Ben-hadad, his enemy, after defeating him, calling him my brother (20:32). He released him with the assurance that he would return Ramoth-gilead, a strategic fortress near the border. But three years passed and it was still under Syrian control (22:1-3).

Ahab invited Jehoshaphat, King of Judah, to Samaria for a sumptuous banquet and then persuaded him to join him in war against Syria to regain Ramoth-gilead (II Chr. 18:1-3). Jehoshaphat immediately said he would. Then he had second thoughts and said: Inquire, I pray thee, at the Word of the Lord to day (I Kin. 22:5). About four hundred of Ahab's popular prophets assured them of great victories (22:6). Still Jehoshaphat was uneasy and asked for a prophet of the Lord, and Ahab said: There is yet one man (22:8). That one was Micaiah, who courageously proclaimed: I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd (22:17).

Ahab hated Micaiah. Nevertheless, he removed his royal garments, dressed as a peasant soldier, and assumed the Syrians would not recognize him. He encouraged Jehoshaphat to keep his royal robes on, thinking the battle would turn toward Jehoshaphat. Could he have been so evil as to think that if Jehoshaphat died in battle Ahab's own daughter and son-in-law would rule Judah, which he could then control? However, Ahab failed to consider that he could not hide from God, and he died in the first day of battle at Ramoth-gilead when a certain man drew a bow at a venture, and smote the king of Israel between the joints of the harness (22:34). His disguise made it all the more obvious that Ahab's death was by the hand of God (22:34-38).

Just as Ahab and Jehoshaphat fought in battle, so every Christian today faces a battle with satanic forces. We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world (Eph. 6:12).

Thought for Today:

Some people plan to harm others, but the Christian is to love like God loves and therefore thinketh no evil (I Cor. 13:5).
Christ Portrayed:

By Micaiah, who would say only what God instructed him to say (I Kin. 22:14). Jesus faithfully told others only what God told Him to say. Then said Jesus unto them . . . I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things (John 8:28; 12:49-50).
Word Studies:

21:27 went softly =went sadly, subdued; 22:3 be still =do nothing; 22:10 void =open place, perhaps at the city gate; 22:11 push =ore; 22:13 with one mouth =unanimously; 22:16 adjure =put you under oath; 22:34 at a venture =without specific aim; harness =armor; 22:48 broken =wrecked.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts sponsored by Dr. John A. Hash • Staff: Barbara Bivens • Government Officials: Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy (OH) and Rep. Robert Scott (VA) • Country: Kuwait (2 million) in the northeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula • Major languages: Arabic and English • Some religious freedom • 95% Muslim; 4% Christian • Prayer Suggestion: Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the Church (Eph. 5:25).
Optional Reading: Romans 3

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

May 1
Read II Kings 1 -- 3

History records one important fact of life for each king: Did he do the will of God in keeping His Commandments, or did he do evil in the sight of God? We must all face one test: Do our actions indicate there is not a God (whom we desire to control our life) (1:3)?
Ten years before Elijah's departure in a chariot of fire, God spoke to him, saying: Elisha . . . shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room. . . . So he departed thence, and found Elisha . . . plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him . . . and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him (I Kin. 19:16,19). Elijah did not say a word, but Elisha realized that he was being called as an assistant, then as successor of Elijah. Elisha's farm was in the Northern Kingdom and, doubtless, he was deeply disturbed by the growing influence of Baal worship. When Elijah invited Elisha to join him, Elisha was a prosperous young farmer (19:19), but: No man can serve two masters. . . . ye cannot serve God and mammon (the deceitfulness of riches, possessions, or personal satisfactions) (Matt. 6:24).

His call meant forsaking all his securities to follow an unpopular prophet of the desert who offered no future security. But Elisha was genuinely concerned about obeying the Word of God and seeing his nation return in repentance to worship the One True God. He immediately used his plows for firewood and offered up his oxen in sacrifice to God. Then, from his ashes, he became known as Elisha . . . which poured water (as his servant) on the hands of Elijah (II Kin. 3:11). A similar story is seen in the lives of most men and women whom God uses today. The key to our usefulness in the Kingdom of God is a sincere desire to forsake all to follow Christ. Is anything more important?

When Elijah announced his earthly departure, he tested Elisha's dedication and spiritual discernment, saying: Tarry here . . . for the Lord hath sent me to Bethel (2:2). But Elisha would not leave Elijah on his journey from Gilgal to Bethel, Jericho, and across the Jordan. The Lord always tests His servants for the reality of their devotion to Him -- just as He did with the rich young ruler who decided he had too much to give up to follow Jesus (Mark 10:17-22).

Crossing the Jordan symbolized death to all that may seem worth grasping in the world. Jesus said: If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me (Luke 9:23). We must die not only to evil but, as Elisha, to the "good" that we may possess.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Mark 8:36).

Thought for Today:

Elisha burned the equipment of his past life for a higher calling. Are we as dedicated to God, and will we leave our past life to do His Will (I Kings 19:21)?
Christ Revealed:

In the taking up of Elijah in the whirlwind and the dropping of his mantle -- a symbol of the presence and power of God that remains with His faithful servant (II Kin. 2:8-15). This is a type of the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ and His sending the Holy Spirit to indwell and empower believers to evangelize the world. He was parted from them, and carried up into heaven (Luke 24:51-53; also Acts 1 -- 2).
Word Studies:

1:8 girt =b> wearing; girdle of leather =b> garment around his waist; 2:19 naught =olluted, bad; 2:24 tare =b> mauled or mangled; 3:9 fetched a compass =b> circled around; made a roundabout march; 3:27 offered him =b> burned him alive as a sacrifice to a god of Moab.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for our Military worldwide • Arabic International Shortwave Broadcasts for the month of May sponsored by Mary Hoffmeyer • Arabic International Shortwave Broadcasts in honor of Bonnie Wilhite • International Shortwave Broadcasts to all of Africa for the month of March sponsored by Thomas & Marrianne Beaghen • Bible Pathway Media Producer: Rick Hash • Government Official: Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO) • Country: Kyrgyzstan (4.7 million) eastern central Asia • Major languages: Kirghiz and Russian • Religious freedom • 75% Muslim; 20% Russian Orthodox; 5% Other (Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant) • Prayer Suggestion: Children, ask the Lord to enable you to honor your parents (Eph. 6:1-3).
Optional Reading: Romans 4

NOTE: Bible Pathway covers the Old Testament with devotional and commentary insights over a nine-month period, January through September. Each day during these months, an optional reading of one chapter a day from the New Testament will also be listed. The October, November, and December issues will provide a daily commentary on the New Testament readings. Thus, the reader goes through the New Testament twice each year using the Bible Pathway plan.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

May 2
Read II Kings 4 -- 5

A widow's two sons are delivered from slavery (4:1-7). A childless couple have a son (4:8-37). Elisha sustains life (typifying Jesus, the Bread of Life) (4:38-44). A leper is miraculously healed of his incurable disease (5:1-19) -- foreshadowing Jesus, who alone can restore an incurable life of sin.
Syria and Israel were often at war over territory near their borders: The Syrians . . . brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid; and she waited on Naaman's wife. And she said unto her mistress, Would God my Lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! for He would recover him of his leprosy (5:2-3).

When Naaman, the commander and chief of the Syrian army, appeared with a letter to Jehoram, king of Israel, asking that he be healed of leprosy, Jehoram incorrectly assumed the king of Syria was seeking an excuse to declare war (5:7).

Jehoram failed to recognize God in his circumstances. Even after Naaman was miraculously healed of leprosy, this evil king did not turn to the Lord.

Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God (5:20), also failed the test. What a wonderful future he could have had. Just as Elisha had been the assistant to Elijah, Gehazi could have become the honored prophet of God. But when he was tested, as we all are, his true character was revealed. He was cursed by greed.

Elisha had refused a very generous gift from Naaman, who had been miraculously healed of his leprosy. But greedy Gehazi was all too anxious for material things. He persuaded himself that God had blessed him with the opportunity to be wealthy, saying: As the Lord liveth, I will run after him (5:20).

Gehazi then told Naaman this story: Two young men of the sons of the prophets were in financial distress. Give them, I pray thee, a talent of silver, and two changes of garments (5:21-22).

But Elisha was not deceived, and, when Gehazi returned, he asked: Whence comest thou, Gehazi? (5:25). Quickly, Gehazi manufactured a lie. One lie usually leads to another. Probably, he thought nothing of his deception to gain wealth from someone who didn't need it. Sadly, Gehazi is an example of some today who see nothing wrong with taking things from someone who will never miss them as well as telling a lie when it benefits their self-interest.

Each of us must ask ourselves the question Elisha asked Gehazi, for we all have but one life to live and one God-ordained purpose for our short time here on earth. Is it a time to receive money . . . garments . . . oliveyards . . . vineyards . . . sheep . . . oxen . . . menservants, and maidservants? (5:26). Or is this an opporunity from God to further the purpose of Christ for us?

Jesus reminded His disciples: The fearful, and unbelieving . . . and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone (Rev. 21:8).

Thought for Today:

Any desire for material gain above our desire to serve God robs us of His wonderful plan for our lives.
Christ Revealed:

By the meal that took the poison out of the pot (II Kin. 4:40-41). Meal, made of crushed grain, speaks of Christ, who was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised (crushed) for our iniquities (Is. 53:5), thereby removing the poison of sin from us.
Word Studies:

4:3 borrow not a few =b> get as many as you can; 4:6 stayed =b> ceased flowing; 4:10 candlestick =b> oil lamp; 4:27 vexed =b> deeply distressed; 4:29 Gird up thy loins =b> Fasten your loose, flowing garments with a belt.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts in honor of Rick Hash • Staff: Tammy Davis • Government Official: Rep. Peter Welch (VT) • Country: Laos (5 million) in Southeast Asia • Major languages: Lao and French • Great suppression of all Christian activities • 58% Buddhist; 33% belief in spirits and ancestor worship; 2% Christian; 1% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Realize that you are insufficient without the Lord (Eph. 6:10-11).
Optional Reading: Romans 5

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk