Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 24 – 26
Highlights:

Division of Aaron's sons; the number and offices of the singers; keepers of the treasures chosen.
Among these were the divisions of the porters, even among the chief men . . . to minister in the House of the Lord (I Chr. 26:12).

Four thousand Levites were appointed as porters to be guards and gatekeepers of Solomon's Temple. They were responsible for opening and shutting the heavy gates, warding off attacks, and excluding those who were unclean. It was a great honor to be assigned to protect the House of God.

God is a God of order, and He calls specific people for specific tasks. These various porters represent the Christian who has an appointed place and service in the Lord's work. God has a specific calling that He provides for the life of every believer. We are not all called to the same thing. There are many offices to be filled in the kingdom of God working on earth (I Cor. 12:28-31).

For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand . . . If the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye . . . If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? . . . But now are they many members, yet but one body (12:14-20; 28-31). The comparison in the Word of God is made to to the human body. Different parts have different functions. If all of us did the same function, there would not be much getting done. However, because of the diversities of callings and gifts, great things can be accomplished by the Body of Christ.

In the service of God, it is not right to murmur or to be proud or jealous. God has a call to place on each one of us. God has gifts to anoint each one with. No work in the kingdom of God is less important than another. God has chosen each of us for a certain purpose. We should be thankful to God for choosing us and thankful to Him for choosing others that they might serve alongside of us. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase (3:6).

Desire only to be led in the path and position of His choice! The best place to find yourself in life is to be in the center of God's will. There is nothing in life we could create for ourselves that would be better than that. So when God calls, give everything to obey that call. Follow Him with all your heart and soul.

And He gave some, apostles; and some prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ (Eph. 4:11-12).

Thought for Today:

God gives His best to those who leave the choice to Him.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Temple treasures (I Chr. 26:20-28).Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col. 2:2-3). In Christ are treasures of wisdom, knowledge, and riches to supply all a believer needs (Phil. 4:19).
Word Studies:

24:2 executed, served in; 24:5 divided by lot, lots were cast to determine the will of God (Prov. 16:33); 24:19 orderings, schedules; 25:5 lift up the horn, sound the trumpet.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Brad Miller (NC) • Country: Ecuador (13 million) in South America, crossed by the equator • Major language: Spanish • Religious freedom • 91% Roman Catholic; 3% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Beseech the Lord in intercessory prayer for others when you have questions (Ex. 32:11).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 6

Memory Verse for the Week: II Corinthians 8:9
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read I Chronicles 27 – 29
Highlights:

Solomon encouraged to build the Temple; David's gifts for the Temple; his thanksgiving and prayer; his death.
Wherefore David blessed the Lord before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, Lord God of Israel our father, for ever and ever (I Chr. 29:10).

David's last message to his kingdom was one of the greatests outbursts of praise found in the Old Testament. David adored the Lord and proclaimed His unspeakable grandeur: Thine, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty (29:11).

Remember, too, that David had grown old. But the nearer he came to the world of everlasting praise, the more he spoke the language of that world. David was a man who had seen the workings of God over his entire life. He had been a firsthand witness to the power of God being displayed in totally unbelievable ways. He was in the midst as God's hand moved. He was the shepherd that God chose to be a king. He was the one that God used to slay the Philistine's greatest warrior, Goliath. He was the one that God's grace was with in battle after battle as he returned the victor. Truly, David knew of the awesome power of God. So, it is no wonder as David drew nearer to God's kingdom that David intensified the praise and glory he gave to God. Every godly person will echo David's words: My praise shall be continually of Thee. . . . I will . . . yet praise Thee more and more (Ps. 71:6,14).

We are told of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia: Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God (Rev. 19:1).

Praise is a natural expression of one who adores the Father for who He is and what He has done for him. The Word of God exhorts us to offer praise to God for He is worthy of that praise. Just as He did for David, God has done so many great things for you and me. He is the healer of our bodies. He is the deliverer of our spirits. He is truly our everything. How could we not praise the One and the Only True Living God? It is our duty to praise Him. He desires to receive praises from us. Through those praises, we will find victory for ourselves. Just as David did in so many times of trouble, we'll find God in the midst of it all when we praise Him. The Book of Psalms ends with the commandment to: Praise Him for His mighty acts: praise Him according to His excellent greatness. . . . Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord (Ps. 150:2,6).

By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His Name (Heb. 13:15).

Thought for Today:

I will greatly rejoice and be joyful in the Lord.
Christ Revealed:

Through the gold offered for the Temple by David from his personal wealth (I Chr. 29:3-5). Gold is the purest metal (Rev. 21:21) and represents the preciousness and great worth of Christ. He is pure (undefiled) (I John 3:3).
Word Studies:

27:2 course, division; 28:19 works, details; 29:1 tender, inexperienced; 29:3 proper good, personal treasure; 29:15 none abiding, soon gone; 29:19 palace, Temple.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Officials: Rep. Wally Herger (CA), Rep. John C. Carney, Jr. (DE), Sen. Mike Crapo (ID) and Rep. Nick J. Rahall II (WV) • Country: Egypt (66 million) in northeastern Africa • Major languages: Arabic and English • Christians are not permitted to evangelize Muslims • 87.5% Muslim; 12% Christian; .5% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede for others (Ex. 32:31-32).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 7

Memory Verse for the Week: Hebrews 6:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 1 – 3
Highlights:

Solomon's sacrifices; his dream of praying for wisdom; dimensions and materials of the Temple.
Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee (II Chr. 1:12).

It seems strange that Solomon could receive such wealth and wisdom from God and still not live in obedience to the Word of God. The wisest man on earth did evil in the sight of the Lord and . . . turned from the Lord God of Israel (II Kin. 11:6,11). Often times, we are blinded to the gifts of God by our enemy, the devil. God gives us so many good things in life, but somehow we find ourselves thinking that these things are our accomplishments. This happens as a direct result of allowing ourselves to become distracted from where our attention should be — to God and His kingdom.

Possessions give a false sense of self-sufficiency and security which often robs one of the true values of life. Things take our eyes off the truly important things in life. We begin to judge our worth by how much we accumulate. We think our accomplishments are to provide the bottom line in our bank accounts. We are living in days of unusual pressure, and the principle that must guide us is this: Our aim must be to please the Lord. There is no time for self-pity, nor time to be absorbed in this world's pleasures, for the time is short (I Cor. 7:29-32). God is looking to us to build His kingdom here on earth. If our focus is distracted by many other things, how can we accomplish what God wants from us?

There is a satanic power at work today, seeking to involve us in the affairs of this world (Eph. 2:2). The enemy would seek to cause us to stray from the path that God has called us to follow. Satan will distract you from your daily reading of the Word of God. In doing this, he knows he takes away your key weapon in this war we are fighting. It is through the Word of God that we overcome the power of the enemy. That is why we need to maintain our daily reading of God's Word. We need to read the Bible when times are good. We need to read the Bible when times are hard. Through the storms of life, we need God's Word the most. We must also be cautious of the devil attacking our prayer life. Once again, during times of great trials, our prayer lives should be growing. We should be seeking God all the more during these trying times.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits (I Tim. 4:1).

Thought for Today:

Material possessions often blind the eyes to the true values of life.
Christ Revealed:

By the thousand burnt offerings of Solomon (II Chr. 1:6). We can be thankful that the one perfect offering of Christ on the cross did away with the need for many and continual individual offerings. He died unto sin once (for all) (Rom. 6:10; Heb. 10:10-12,14).
Word Studies:

2:2 told out, assigned; 2:7 cunning, skilled; can skill to grave, has skill to engrave; 2:14 find out every device, execute any design; 2:16 floats, rafts; 3:1 affinity, alliance by marriage to Pharaoh's daughter; 3:5 cieled, paneled; 3:10 of image work, fashioned by carving; 3:16 oracle, Holy of Holies.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Lt. Col. Walter and Penny Swanson • Staff: Gina Lesnefsky • Government Official: Sen. Al Franken (MN) • Country: El Salvador (5.9 million) in Central America • Major language: Spanish • Some intolerance of Protestants by government officials • 75% Catholic; 20% Protestant; .5% Baha'i; 2.5% Other; 2% None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask God to show you His ways (Ex. 33:13).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 4 – 6

Highlights:

Furnishings of the Temple; Ark brought into the Temple; the cloud of the Lord fills the Temple; Solomon's prayer of dedication.
The Lord therefore hath performed His Word that He hath spoken: for I . . . have built the House for the Name of the Lord God of Israel (II Chr. 6:10).

The Temple was the first building that had been prepared for the presence of God since the Tabernacle had been erected 487 years earlier (I Kin. 6:1). Therefore, Solomon said: And the House which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods (II Chr. 2:5). But the true greatness of the Temple was that the presence of God was there. Without His presence, the Temple could have been like a body without life.

God then confirmed the reality of His presence within the Temple by filling it with the cloud of His glory (5:11-14). The presence of God will be in the midst of praise and worship to Him. God will be there. He will manifest Himself in a way that His people will recognize Him. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the True God, and eternal life (I John 5:20).

But after our Savior ascended into heaven, God sent His Holy Spirit to dwell within the hearts of His people (John 14:16). Then said some of His disciples among themselves, What is this that He saith unto us, A little while, and ye shall not see Me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see Me: and, Because I go to the Father? (16:17). Jesus departed from the earth allowing the Holy Spirit to come. This had to transpire so that God could live in the hearts of His saints.

The Holy Spirit was sent to fill so many roles in the life of man. It is He that convicts mankind of his sinful ways. It is He that draws humans to an altar of repentance. It is He that stirs the call of God in the hearts of those who would choose to follow God at all costs. It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are life (John 6:63). It is He who is omnipresent in the world. It is He that draws people to the study of the Word of God and prayer to the God of heaven. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost (Spirit), whom the Father will send in My Name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (14:26).

Hereby know we that we dwell in Him, and He in us, because He hath given us of His Spirit (I John 4:13).

Thought for Today:

His presence alone can truly satisfy.
Christ Revealed:

Through Solomon's prayer to God (II Chr. 6:14). Jesus is God: I and My Father are One (John 10:30; 17:22; 1:1; I John 5:7-8).
Word Studies:

4:2: molten sea, large metal, round basin; 4:22 censers, incense burners; 6:10 room, throne of Israel; 6:24 be put to the worse, are defeated; 6:28 dearth, famine; blasting, blight; sore, plague; 6:40 attent, attentive.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in honor of Bruce Rutherford's birthday • Government Officials: Sen. Lisa Murkowski (AK), Rep. John P. Sarbanes (MD) and Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA) • Country: Equatorial Guinea (466,000) in western Africa • Major language: Spanish • Freedom for churches at this time • 71% Roman Catholic; 19% ancestral spirit worship and medicine men; 6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Bow before the Lord in a godly reverence as you pray and worship (Ex. 34:8).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 7 – 9

Highlights:Fire consumes Solomon's sacrifice; glory of the Lord fills the Temple; God appears a second time to Solomon; queen of Sheba visits Solomon; his death.

If My people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My Face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chr. 7:14).

After twenty years on the throne, Solomon's reign that had begun so gloriously with God no longer showed any evidence that God was directing him. There was no worship, no prayer, no altar, no sacrifice. Solomon's ambition for world glory, his desire for foreign luxuries, and his many wives had corrupted his heart, and Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord (I Kin. 11:6).

Just as it happened to Solomon, it happens to so many in our day. They get started on the right path. They are working for the Lord. They are truly serving Him. But, one thing draws them off track. Then another thing comes against them. Gradually and without realizing it, they become like Solomon. It may seem small at the time. Maybe they slack off on their daily reading of God's Word. Maybe they stop praying as much. Maybe like Solomon they let earthly treasures and the desires of their hearts cause them to look away from God. We cannot trust our heart. It is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jer. 17:9). There are many possibilities, however, they all lead to the same outcome. One's life is being drawn away from his Creator. It is exceedingly important that we keep a close relationship with God by knowing His Word and continuously seeking His will.

The Lord spoke to Solomon a second time to turn him and the nation back to God. Still later, God appeared to him the third and final time, saying: I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and give it to thy servant (11:11). God always offers mercy before punishment. It is not His desire for us to fail in life, but He greatly desires that we be victorious in our spiritual lives (II Pet. 3:9).

How foolish to allow earthly desires to separate us from the blessings of God! We must guard ourselves constantly to not allow this to happen. Lay up not for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up fror yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through or steal (Matt. 6:19-20).

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things (I Cor. 9:25).

Thought for Today:

All the riches of this world cannot compare to the least of the riches of heaven.
Christ Revealed:

Through the glory of Solomon's kingdom (II Chr. 9:1-28). Even though Solomon had a rich and glorious kingdom, it cannot begin to compare to Christ's coming Kingdom. The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it (Rev. 22:1-5).
Word Studies:

7:11 prosperously effected, successfully accomplished all that God had planned for him to do, 7:14 seek My Face, seek My will through My Word; 8:5 nether, lower; 8:16 perfected, completed; 9:1 prove, test; 9:14 chapmen, merchant traders; 9:15 targets, large shields; 9:18 stays, armrests; 9:24 harness, armor; 9:26 the river, the Euphrates River.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Jennifer Palafox • Country: Eritrea (4 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: English and Tigrinya • Religious persecution • 51% Muslim; 40% Eritrean Orthodox; 4% Catholic; 1.5% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the Lord's blessings and peace upon His children (Num. 6:24-27).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 10 – 13
Highlights:

Rehoboam succeeds Solomon as king; revolt of Ten Tribes of Israel; Jeroboam becomes king over Northern Israel; death of Rehoboam and Jeroboam.
And King Rehoboam took counsel with the old men that had stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, saying, What counsel give ye me to return answer to this people? (II Chr. 10:6).

When Rehoboam became king, the united kingdom still held its great influence in the world, but there is no mention of Rehoboam's beginning his reign with altar sacrifices and prayer for the divine wisdom, nor do we read that Rehoboam was anointed of the Lord. Therefore, it is not surprising to read that he prepared not his heart to seek the Lord (12:14).

Where was the spiritual influence that existed forty years earlier when Solomon began to reign? Nowhere do we find Solomon admonishing his son to remain true to the Lord as David, his father, had done for him. Where were the Nathans or priests who were prominent in David's reign? It is evident that the advice of the prophets and spiritual advisors was no longer wanted. It is amazing how the fate of a nation can run side by side with that of individuals. To a great extent this is what happened in this situation. David, though he made mistakes, had a heart that loved God. He had a heart that was repentant of his wrongdoings. His heart had a desire to be a man with whom God would be pleased. He passed on those virtues to his son, Solomon and challenged him to walk in God's ways.

Solomon, however, went his own way. At first, he trusted in God, but as his wealth and power grew, Solomon gradually turned away from God and satisfied himself with worldly gain. This he passed to his children including his son, Rehoboam. Instead of giving him godly direction, Solomon's own example led his son to follow in his father's waywardness.

How empty it all sounds to read that Rehoboam, the shepherd of the people of God, took counsel . . . with . . . men . . . saying, What counsel give ye me . . . ? (10:6). Without God, the most clever strategy of the wisest counselors is worthless. The Bible says: Be wise . . . ye kings . . . Serve the Lord with fear . . . lest He be angry, and ye perish from the way (Ps. 2:10-12). All our plans, no matter how well laid out, are as nothing without the hand of God on them. This is why we should consult the Word of God in all our decisions. For it is in His Word, that we find power (Eph. 6:17).

Except the Lord build the House, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain (Ps. 127:1).

Thought for Today:

It is not our words, but our life that reveals what is in our hearts.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Golden Candlestick (Lampstand) (II Chr. 13:11). Jesus is the Light of the world (John 9:5).
Word Studies:

10:4 yoke grievous, heavy, severe burdens; 10:10 loins, waist; 11:12 every several, each separate.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Micheal Moore • Government Officials: Rep. Doug Lamborn (CO), Rep. Charlie W. Dent (PA) and Rep. Steve Cohen (TN) • Country: Estonia (1.47 million) northeastern Europe • Major languages: Estonian and Russian • Religious freedom • 38.4% Protestant; 20.3% Orthodox; 1% Roman Catholic; 1% Muslim; .3% Jewish; 39% non-Religious/Other • Prayer Suggestion: Thank God for His mercy (Num. 12:11-14).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 14 – 17
Highlights:

King Asa's reforms; his covenant with God; his league with Syria; Asa rebuked by Hanani; Jehoshaphat succeeds Asa.
The Lord is with you, while ye be with Him . . . but if ye forsake Him, He will forsake you (II Chr. 15:2).

Having learned that the Lord would be with him, Asa led the nation in a great revival. His faith was put to the test when he was confronted with an invading army almost two-to-one larger than his army. But Asa prayed and said . . . help us, O Lord . . . in Thy Name we go against this multitude (14:11) and the victory was overwhelming. When we place our trust in the Lord, we will find that the possibilities are boundless. Asa discovered this quickly. No earthly army is capable of overcoming God and His chosen. The size, skill and weaponry of an army make no difference. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us (Rom. 8:37). There is no force anywhere that can defeat God. Therefore, we are guaranteed a victory in the war of life when we put all our trust in God.

As Asa's wealth and power increased, his dependence upon God decreased. When the small army of Israelites invaded Judah, he hired Ben-hadad to fight the battle for him instead of praying. No longer could he say to God, help us . . . for we rest on thee (II Chr. 14:11). It is a shame that this happens in many of our lives. Why is it that when times are hard, it is so easy to turn to God? However, in the good times, we find it easy to rely on ourselves. God is the God of the mountain and in the valley. He is God in times of light and in times of darkness. He is God when the sky is sunny and when storms rage.

The temptation to rely on our clever manipulations is as real today as it was for Asa. We so often feel we are more qualified than God to handle life's problems. Instead of turning it all over to God, we try to handle things ourselves. The vanity and pride of mankind are some of its greatest shortcomings. We are foolish enough to place more trust in our own intellect and reasoning than in Him. Asa was warned — if ye forsake Him (the Lord), He will forsake you (II Chr. 15:1-2). And like Asa, one sin leads to another and we lose God's protection (16:7-14). We should be seeking the mind of Christ in every one of our decisions in life. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ (I Cor. 2:16).

Nevertheless, I have something against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent (Rev. 2:4-5).

Thought for Today:

Unless our confidence is in God, we are powerless against the attacks of Satan.
Christ Revealed:

Through the rest that God gave Judah (II Chr. 14:7). Jesus pleads: Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28).
Word Studies:

14:15 tents of cattle, tents of the cattle herders; 15:5 vexations, disturbances, troubles, turmoil; 15:16 mother, grandmother; stamped it, crushed it to dust; 16:14 sepulchres, tombs; 17:12 waxed great exceedingly, became increasingly powerful; castles, fortresses, strongholds.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Barbara Jean Jackson • Government Officials: Rep. Ed Whitfield (KY) and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (MN) • Country: Ethiopia (60 million) in eastern Africa • Major languages: Amharic and Tigrinya • Unsettled after overthrow of communist regime • 41% Eastern Orthodox; 35% Muslim; 10% Protestant; 10% animist; .7% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 14:13-19).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 18 – 20
Highlights:

Jehoshaphat's alliance with Ahab; Ahab's false prophets; Micaiah's true prophecy; death of Ahab at Ramoth-gilead; Jehu rebukes Jehoshaphat; Judah invaded by Moabites.
O our God . . . we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee (II Chr. 20:12).

Surrounded by vast enemy armies, King Jehoshaphat called for a nationwide prayer meeting. The people of Judah gathered in Jerusalem, confessed their sins, and prayed earnestly for God to protect them. A great lesson can be learned here. When things are at their worst, the only answer is to turn to God in prayer. But not just any prayer; they confessed their sins to God. They looked to the God of heaven and told Him how they had violated His Word. This victory was won because of the humility of the people who cried out to God. He hears the sincere prayers of His people. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

Then upon Jahaziel . . . came the Spirit of the Lord . . . And He said, Hearken ye, all Judah . . . Be not afraid . . . for the battle is not yours, but God's (20:14-15). Then all Judah . . . fell before the Lord, worshiping the Lord (20:18). When God truly moves on our situation, the only proper response is to offer Him heartfelt praise and worship. He is worthy of every good thing said both to and about Him, of every shout of praise, of every song of worship, of our joyous adoration. The Psalmist proclaimed: Let God be magnified (Ps. 70:4).

When misunderstandings arise, when difficulties seem insurmountable, or when the pressures of the world threaten to defeat you, put your trust in the Lord — the Source of all strength. Remember, God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear (Ps. 36:1-2). Fear is done away with when we trust in God. God is our defender when the enemy comes against us. God is our refuge in times of great storms. God is our comforter when our hearts are broken. As we allow Him into our lives, He will fill every vacancy within them. When we place our ultimate dependence on God, He will always meet our needs for all the days of our lives. But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19).

That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man (Eph. 3:16).

Thought for Today:

We can praise God for the victory in Christ.
Christ Portrayed:

By Micaiah, who told the Truth even though it was unpopular with his listeners (II Chr. 18:12-27). We are reminded of Christ when He spoke the unpopular Truth to the Pharisees (Matt. 12:1-14). Jesus responded: Now ye seek to kill Me, a Man that hath told you the Truth, which I have heard of God (John 8:40).
Word Studies:

18:1 joined affinity, allied himself by the marriage of his son to Ahab's daughter; 18:9 a void place, an open area near the city entrance; 18:15 adjure, command under oath; 18:33 at a venture, randomly without aim; harness, armor.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Audrey Hash • Government Officials: Rep. Richard B. Nugent (FL), Rep. Janice Schakowsky (IL) and Sen. Kay Hagan (NC) • Country: Fiji (813,000) in the southwestern Pacific • Major languages: English and Fijian • Religious freedom • 41% Hindu; 40% Protestant; 9% Roman Catholic; 8% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Intercede in prayer for others (Num. 21:7).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 13

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 21 – 24
Highlights:

Jehoram's wicked reign; prophecy of Elijah; Athaliah's reign; death of Jehoiada.
And Jehoiada made a covenant between him, and between all the people, and between the king, that they should be the Lord's people (II Chr. 23:16).

Jehoshabeath, the wife of Jehoiada the priest hid baby Joash, the only surviving descendant of David, and protected him from being murdered by Athaliah. In the seventh year of Athaliah's reign, Jehoiada anointed Joash king and had Athaliah executed. Often in times of great evil, those who truly love and serve God rise to the occasion. Darkness can never extinguish light totally. God always has a remnant set aside to serve Him (Rom. 9:27).

Jehoiada virtually reigned during the adolescent years of young king Joash. As high priest, he returned the nation to the Laws of God, repaired the Temple, and destroyed Baal worship. God used him to overcome many great obstacles. Satan can spend years destroying something. A nation can become so overcome with evil that it might seem beyond saving. A people can become so vexed with ungodly thoughts and actions that they may seem unreachable. However, this man of God dedicated his life to seeing God restored in this nation. If we stand on the side of God, there are no limits to the possibilities of our accomplishments (Matt. 19:26).

With the exception of Samuel, history records no priest equal to Jehoiada. Under his influence, there was strict adherence to the Law of God, and the nation once again prospered. Great men and women make differences in the kingdom of God on earth every day. The evidence is recorded for us that one man dedicated to God transformed a nation. But following Jehoiada's death, Joash soon drifted away from the House of the Lord . . . and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem (II Chr. 24:18). Even the best examples in life are of no avail if they are not followed.

When we neglect reading the Bible, the Truth we remember often becomes blurred, and we gradually cease to clearly understand the Lord's will. We need the Word of God in our lives every day to keep it fresh and new in our minds and hearts. Stability and strength for the years ahead is achieved by those who become intimately acquainted with His Word and are willing to sacrifice everything necessary in order to remain faithful to His will.

That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death (Phil. 3:10).

Thought for Today:

The result of neglecting the Bible is that we lose our sense of direction from God.
Christ Portrayed:

By Jehoiada, the high priest, who faithfully hid and protected Joash (II Chr. 23:1-11). Jesus is our High Priest (Heb. 5:5-10), and we are hid with Christ in God (Col. 3:3).
Word Studies:

21:9 compassed him in, surrounded him; 21:19 of sore diseases, in severe suffering; no burning for him, no funeral fire to honor him; 22:10 seed royal, royal offspring of the house of David; 23:9 bucklers, small shields; 23:14 Have her forth of the ranges, take her outside beyond the Temple under guard; 24:13 in his state, in its original condition; 24:25 great diseases, intense suffering.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts sponsored by Mary Kay Wagner in memory of Dr. John A. Hash • Government Official: Rep. Peter DeFazio (OR) • Country: Finland (5.2 million) in northern Europe • Major languages: Finnish and Swedish • Religious freedom • 86% Lutheran; 1% Orthodox; 12% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Ask for the blessings of God upon your family and home (II Sam. 7:29).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 14

Memory Verse for the Week: I Timothy 1:17

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Read II Chronicles 25 – 27
Highlights:

Amaziah reigns over Judah; war between Israel and Judah; Uzziah struck with leprosy; Jotham's reign.
But there came a man of God to him, saying, O king, let not the army of Israel go with thee; for the Lord is not with Israel (II Chr. 25:7).

Amaziah, king of Judah, hired 100,000 men from the idol-worshiping nation of Israel to help his kingdom defeat the Edomites. Up to that time, Amaziah had done that which was right in the sight of the Lord (25:2). Many things in life can cause us to lose faith in God if we are not careful. It could be fear, doubt, depression, anger, or a host of other emotions. It is important to hold fast to what we know is true. This is even more important in these times when there are so many directions in which we are being pulled. This is true since the devil is out to destroy the believer in any way possible. Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils (I Tim. 4:1).

One of the prophets of God confronted Amaziah with his lack of trust in God who alone hath the power to help, and to cast down (25:8). Amaziah therefore dismissed the entire Israelite army. Then, with his own small army and faith in the help of God, they conquered Edom. Oh, how need to have ears that will hear and hearts that will receive the correction God sends through His servants. Many times in our lives, God will send godly men and women our way to offer gentle rebuke to help us steer back on the path God has ordained for our lives. Always remember, they are there because we veered away and left the path.

Amaziah exposed his spiritual instability when he brought the idol gods of the conquered Edomites back to Jerusalem and worshiped them (II Chr. 25:15). Even when God brings great victory, we must still guard our hearts against the possibility of a trap laid by Satan. This is why a daily lifestyle of reading the Word of God is so important. The Word of God will provide protection for our hearts as we trust in it. But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the Gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts. . . . that you would walk worthy of God (I Thess. 2:4,12).

When we compromise the known will of God, the Truth becomes distorted, and we no longer experience the Lord's direction in our lives. That is why we must to follow the path God has for us.

He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God (John 8:47).

Thought for Today:

Those who remain faithful to the Word of God will receive stability and strength.
Christ Portrayed:

By Azariah the high priest who stood between King Uzziah and the Altar, because there was only one proper way to approach the Lord God of Israel and that was through the service of the priests (II Chr. 26:17-18). Jesus, our great High Priest (Heb. 4:14), is The Only Way for anyone to come to God. Jesus saith unto him, I am The Way, The Truth, and The Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me (John 14:6).
Word Studies:

25:21 saw one another in the face, faced each other in battle; 26:10 husbandry, farming.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Broadcasts in memory of Letha Hash • Staff: Ilene Wallace • Government Officials: Sen. Marco Rubio (FL), Rep. Aaron Schock (IL), Rep. Steve King (IA), Rep. Scott Rigell (VA), and Rep. Tom E. Petri (WI) • Country: France (59.1 million) in western Europe • Major language: French • Religious freedom • 80% Roman Catholic; 7% Islam; 1.22% Protestant; 1.18% Jewish; 1% Buddhist; .2% Orthodox; .2% Eastern Catholic; .2% Jehovah's Witness; 9% Other/None • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to give you discernment and an understanding heart (I Kings 3:9).
Optional Reading: I Corinthians 15

Memory Verse for the Week: I Timothy 1:17

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk