Bible Pathways

Started by Judy Harder, April 03, 2009, 07:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

April 3
Read I Samuel 8 -- 11

Highlights In Today's Reading:

Here's proof that man's thinking is not as the wisdom of God -- the people ask for a king and ignored the true King (8:5). Samuel warns against it but what does God say (8:7,22)? Samuel anoints Saul (9:27 -- 10:1)! King Saul is challenged (11:1-3) but is victorious (11:4-11).
Samuel, a prophet who was the last judge to rule the nation of Israel, desired to please God -- their invisible King -- and received direction from God. However, Samuel's sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment (8:3). Eventually, near the death of Samuel, all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah, And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways. Now make us a king to judge us like all the (heathen) nations (8:4-5).

During this time there was no Tabernacle at Shiloh for it had been destroyed by the Philistines, probably in the battle of Aphek. God used the Philistines to take the Ark from Shiloh to fulfill His prophecy (Ps. 78:60; Jer. 7:12-14; 26:6). So Samuel built an altar in Ramah and offered sacrifices (I Sam. 7:17).

Samuel wanted only the best for Israel, but the nation continued to blindly insist: We will have a king over us; That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may . . . go out before us, and fight our battles (8:19-20). Their decision was a failure of faith and rebellion against God. Sometimes a mirror is the best remedy for sin. So, after the Israelites rejected the warning of God (8:10-20), He appointed Saul as their first king. Like the nation of Israel, Saul seemed to start out right. He attributed the credit to God after leading an army to deliver Jabesh-gilead: To day the Lord hath wrought salvation in Israel. Then said Samuel to the people, Come, and let us go to Gilgal, and renew the kingdom there. And all the people went to Gilgal; and there they made Saul king before the Lord (11:13-15). But Samuel reminded them of their great wickedness in demanding a king (12:16-19), and Saul's reign proved that he was a symbol of the spiritual wickedness of the nation.

Desiring to be like the majority has caused some Christians to ignore the Bible and seek counsel elsewhere. God leaves the choice for us to accept or reject His leadership. Each day we face the decision of choosing or refusing to live for Christ.

Paul warns: Every one of us shall give account of himself to God (Rom. 14:12).

Thought for Today:

There are many deceptions in this world that look like the will of God. Only by reading through our Creator's only Guide to life will we know what is the truth.
Christ Portrayed:

Through Samuel who faithfully served Israel as judge, prophet and priest. Jesus was the Prophet promised through Moses (Deut. 18:15); He is our Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14); and one day He will judge all mankind: For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son (John 5:22).
Word Studies:

8:3 lucre =b> money gained dishonestly; 8:9 protest solemnly =b> a serious objection; 8:12 ear =b> plowing; 9:2 goodly =b> handsome; 9:7 spent =b> used up; 9:16 captain =b> leader since God was the true King; 9:26 spring of the day =b> dawn, the first coming of light; 10:1 vial =b> a container; 11:1 encamped against =b> put his forces in position to attack.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts in memory of Lucien Raymond • Staff: Dan Murton • Country: Germany (82 million) in north-central Europe • Major language: German • Religious freedom • 33.8% Evangelical (Lutheran); 33.6% Catholic; 3.4% Muslim; 1% Orthodox; 1% Other Christian; .2% Other; 27% None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for those who wrong you (Acts 7:59-60).
Optional Reading: Acts 4

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:1

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 4
Read I Samuel 12 -- 14:23

Whoa! Samuel gives the king and the nation serious warnings (12:14-15,24-25). We should all heed (12:23). Saul reveals his self-seeking cowardice and, for his disobedience, he loses the kingdom (13:8-14). Saul's son Jonathan trusts God and leads a bold thrust into enemy territory; and Israel is victorious (14:1-23).
The faith that God honors comes as a result of full obedience. Surrendering our lives to do His will above all else should be the unconditional response of every Christian to the precious love of God (who) is no respector of persons (Acts 10:34) -- isn't that wonderful! Even Jesus Christ, Creator of all things, surrendered His will to do the will of God (Heb. 1:2; 10:7).

Samuel said unto all Israel, Behold, I have hearkened unto your voice . . . and have made a king over you. . . . Now therefore behold the king . . . whom ye have desired! and, behold, the Lord hath set a king over you. . . . But if ye will not obey the voice of the Lord . . . then shall the hand of the Lord be against you, as it was against your fathers (I Sam. 12:1,13-15).

Samuel had told Saul to go to Gilgal and wait for him seven days (10:8). But when Samuel arrived on the appointed day, Saul had disobediently offered the burnt offering sacrifice earlier that day (13:9). He attempted to justify his actions by telling Samuel that the Philistine armies were moving closer, his soldiers were frightened and some were even deserting him.

Samuel replied: Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the Commandment of the Lord thy God. . . . But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought Him a man after His own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over His people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee (13:13-14).

Whatever excuses people may give for disobeying the Word of God, they are as deceived as Saul was if they think God is pleased with them because they perhaps give generously to His work. God does not bless any sacrifice or gift of time, money, or talents unless we are truly living to please Him. God cannot bless partial obedience no matter how "sincere" a person may be, for "partial" obedience is actual disobedience (15:22). "Obedience is always the pathway to happiness."

Paul wrote from Corinth: If ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Rom. 8:13).

Thought for Today:

Physical circumstances can never dictate our obedience to the will of God.
Christ Revealed:

By Samuel the intercessor (I Sam. 12:23). Right now Jesus is interceding for believers. It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us (Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25).
Word Studies:

12:4 ought =b> received a bribe; 12:21 vain =b> worthless; 13:10 salute =b> welcome; 13:17 spoilers =b> raiders; 13:20 share, coulter and mattock =b> agricultural tools; 13:21 goads =b> iron points used to prod animals; 14:8 discover ourselves =b> let ourselves be seen; 14:16 melted away =b> scattered in all directions; 14:20 discomfiture =b> confusion.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Sen. Richard Lugar (IN) • Country: Ghana (19 million) in western Africa • Major languages: English and African languages • The government permits freedom to churches and missionaries that do not get involved in politics • 31% belief in spirits and witches; 22% Protestant; 17% Muslim; 11% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Ask the Lord to show you what to do, and then be willing to do it (Acts 9:6).
Optional Reading: Acts 5

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:1

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 5
Read I Samuel 14:24 -- 16

After Saul rashly blunders through 2-3 years (13:1), he finally builds an altar and seeks the direction of the Lord (14:35)! Full of self-will, his incomplete obedience in chapter 15 is disobedience. We all need to take Samuel's advice to heart (15:22-23). God replaces Saul the king with David the shepherd boy who becomes the God-ordained King David. (15:35; 16:1,12-13). He foreshadows the Savior God promised -- our High Priest, Prophet, and King. Don't miss the "rags to riches" account of the lowly shepherd boy.
The Law given to Israel at Mount Sinai forbade everyone from making sacrifices unto God except the priests (Num. 3:10,38; 18:1-7). But, Saul disobeyed the Word of God, fearing the armies of the Philistines, and offered the burnt offering (sacrifice) (I Sam. 13:9,12). Later, after more disobedience, Samuel rebuked him, saying: Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice . . . Because thou hast rejected the Word of the Lord, He hath also rejected thee from being king (15:22-23).

God knew the faithful character and loyalty of the one He could call a man after His own heart (13:14; Acts 13:22). He instructed Samuel to go to the family of Jesse in Bethlehem and anoint the son to whom the Lord would direct him (I Sam. 16:3). Samuel promptly obeyed the command of God -- even risking his life by going to Bethlehem and arranging a sacrifice to God with Jesse and his sons. He knew that if King Saul found out what he was doing, he would be put to death (16:1-5).

Samuel was impressed by the appearance of Eliab, the oldest son of Jesse, and said to himself: Surely the Lord's anointed is before Him. But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart (16:6-7).

Finally David, the youngest and a shepherd, was called and the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he . . . and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David. . . . But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul (16:12-14).

It is human nature to base our opinions on what we see or hear, or to be influenced by prejudice, social pressure, or personal desires. Our judgment is, at best, imperfect. God often honors and blesses those who are least esteemed by others.

We can learn much from the prophet who prayed: Oh Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps (Jer. 10:23).

Thought for Today:

Our circumstances can quickly change for the best when we obey the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

Through David's name (I Sam. 16:13) which means beloved. David is a type of Jesus, whom the Heavenly Father called: My beloved Son (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:11; 9:7; Luke 3:22; 9:35).
Word Studies:

14:24 adjured =b> threatened under oath; 14:31 smote =b> struck down; 14:41 perfect lot =b> right answer; 14:47 took the kingdom =b> took possession; vexed =b> harassed; 14:52 sore =b> fierce, severe; 15:29 repent =b> change His mind; 15:32 delicately =b> fearfully; 16:18 comely =b> handsome.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Radio Sri Lanka Shortwave Broadcasts for the week sponsored by Mr. Gerald H. Murphy • Government Official: Rep. Peter King (NY) • Country: Greece (10.5 million) in southeastern Europe • Major languages: Greek and English • Government restrictions on witnessing to others about Christ • 87% Orthodox; 8% Old Calendar Orthodox; 2% Catholic; 1.2% Muslim; .5% Jehovah's Witness; .3% Protestant; 1% Other • Prayer Suggestion: Pray and fast in secret so that only the Lord knows (Acts 10:30).
Optional Reading: Acts 6

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:9-10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 6
Read I Samuel 17 -- 18

Here's a point to ponder: God used both Samuel and David, as youths to fulfill His will. David gives Saul his résumé, his objective, and why -- Goliath (17:26,34-37,47). Check out David's weapon (17:45). David gains the heart of all Israel and Judah (18:16) and Saul's son and daughter (18:1,20), but Saul becomes jealous (18:9-11).
When Saul was a young man, his character seemed to reveal true humility (10:27). After he won his first battle, he humbly announced: To day the Lord hath wrought salvation in Israel (11:13). But the humility that marked this first victory quickly changed to pride as he gained more power and prestige.

And it came to pass . . . when David was returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, that the women came out . . . with joy, and with instruments of musick. And . . . said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands (18:6-7).

David's rising popularity was too much for Saul. Pride and jealousy so controlled Saul that an evil spirit from God came upon him (18:10). He eventually determined to either murder David or cause him to be killed (18:25).

Later, David had the opportunity to retaliate and kill Saul, but his love for God and his obedience to the Word of God would not let him (24:6; 26:9). We must never lose sight of our opportunities to pray for, as well as go to the aid of, those who would be our enemies. Jesus said: Love your enemies . . . That ye may be the children of your Father which is in Heaven (Matt. 5:44-45).

This is the most exalted spiritual level for it ends on this note: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect (5:48). What we are told, therefore, is to treat others as God treats us and them.

Our lives must be governed by a new principle of love. We must see people as hell-bound sinners for whom Jesus died, and do everything we can to save them. God loved this sinful world and sent His only begotten Son to save it (John 3:16).

As long as a person is living for self-interest, he is overly sensitive, jealous, and envious, and is always reacting to what others do or say. The Christian is no longer of the world, but our citizenship is in heaven (Phil. 3:20). Christ within us will determine our conduct and behavior when we let Him.

Not every one that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven (Matt. 7:21).

Thought for Today:

The Word of God teaches us to humble ourselves, but a jealous person always wants to be the most important one in the crowd.
Christ Portrayed:

By Jonathan, who knew the will of God was to make David king and stripped himself of his royal robes and made a covenant promising all that he had to David (I Sam. 18:3-4). Jesus, knowing the will of God, cast off His heavenly robes and took upon Him the form of a servant . . . and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross (Phil. 2:5-8).
Word Studies:

17:6 greaves =leggings of brass; 17:18 take their pledge =bring back news of how they are doing; 17:20 trench =b> camp; 17:22 carriage =baggage, supplies; 17:31 rehearsed =b> reported; 17:39 assayed =tried, attempted; proved =tested, tried; 17:40 a scrip = small pouch; 17:43 staves =sticks; 17:53 spoiled =booted; 17:56 stripling =youth; 18:9 eyed =kept his eye upon David with suspicion, envy, and jealousy; 18:11 avoided =escaped; 18:27 tale =number.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts sponsored by Helayne Abrams • Staff: Beth Carlton • Government Officials: Rep. Michele Bachmann (MN), Rep. Joseph Courtney (CT), and Rep. Timothy Walz (MN) • Country: Greenland (60,000) northeast of Canada • Major languages: Eskimo dialects and Danish • Religious freedom • 98% Protestant; .1% Roman Catholic • Prayer Suggestion: Pray diligently with other believers and God will answer (Acts 12:5-10).
Optional Reading: Acts 7

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 7
Read I Samuel 19 -- 21

Powerful reading! A gigantic "battle" rages between God and Satan. Where? -- Inside Saul. Did this ever happen to you? Check chapter 19! Saul is jealous, rebellious, disobedient, and confused. David displays wisdom and faith in God.
Although Samuel had anointed David to be the next king of Israel, David must have wondered if he would live long enough to assume his God-appointed place of leadership.

When God is seeking to strengthen our faith in Him, He lovingly permits difficulties to come upon us in order to bring us to a deeper appreciation of His unfailing promises.

David feared that Saul would capture and execute him. Consequently, David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath (a mistake). And the servants of Achish said unto him, Is not this David the king of the land? did they not sing one to another of him in dances, saying, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands? And David laid up these words in his heart, and was sore afraid of Achish the king of Gath (21:10-12).

In desperation, David changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard. Then said Achish unto his servants, Lo, ye see the man is mad: wherefore then have ye brought him to me? Have I need of mad men, that ye have brought this fellow to play the mad man in my presence? shall this fellow come into my house? (21:13-15).

Discouraged, David hid in Adullam, one of the numerous caves near the Dead Sea about six miles southeast of Bethlehem. In his distress, David prayed, asking God to save him from his enemies. Then David promised to praise God for the victory. Probably, the result was this great psalm: I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise Thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for Thou shalt deal bountifully with me (Ps. 142:5-7).

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him (James 1:12).

Thought for Today:

The trials that come to us are often from God to bring about a greater work of His love in us (I Pet. 4;12-13).
Christ Portrayed:

By David, who, as a servant of Saul, suffered at the hands of the one whom he chose to serve (I Sam. 19:1,10-11). Jesus suffered at the hands of the ones He came to serve and to save. From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto His disciples, how that He must . . . suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day (Matt. 16:21).
Word Studies:

19:9 played with his hand =layed music on the harp; 19:13 bolster =eadrest; 20:2 but that he will show it me =ithout first telling me; 20:12 sounded =uestioned; 20:26 not clean =eremonially defiled (Lev. 15; Num. 19:11); 20:30 confusion =ishonor, shame; 20:33 javelin =pear; 21:4 hallowed bread =howbread, sacrificial bread to be eaten only by priests (Exodus 25:30; Matthew 12:3-4).
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts sponsored by a family that loves Jesus • Staff: Jennifer Cunningham • Government Officials: Rep. Robert Brady (PA) and Gov. Mitch Daniels (IN) • Country: Grenada (97,000) southernmost of the Windward Islands • Major language: English • Religious freedom • 61% Roman Catholic; 31% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Lift up prayers of praise and thanksgiving to God even in times of adversity (Acts 16:22-25).
Optional Reading: Acts 8

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 8
Read I Samuel 22 -- 24

A warning to all of what can happen once we allow "small" sins into our lives. It seems Satan takes complete control of Saul's senses as he orders the violent, inexcusable act of murdering all the priests and their families at Nob. Remember the protection of the Lord for David, who trusts God (23:2,4,10-12) and lives accordingly.
David was anointed by Samuel, the prophet of God, as the next king of Israel, but Saul intended to murder him. Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men upon the rocks of the wild goats. And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet (sleep that night) (24:2). Unknown to Saul, David and his men remained (hid) in the sides of (within) the cave (24:3).

David had an opportunity to assassinate Saul while he slept. His soldiers were convinced that God had delivered Saul into David's hands to be executed and David would be justified in killing him. But, he would not violate the Word of God that Saul had been set apart for service as the earthly representative of God on the throne of Israel (10:1). This was further expressed in the Book of Psalms: Touch not Mine anointed (Ps. 105:15).

David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily. And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt. And he said unto his men, The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master. . . . Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way. David . . . cried (shouted) after Saul, saying, My lord the king. . . . the Lord had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave . . . but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the Lord's anointed (I Sam. 24:4-10).

God had appointed Saul as king, and, until He removed him from the throne, David was willing to patiently wait and could say to God: My times are in Thy hand (Ps. 31:15).

When our heart's desire is to please the Lord, we are often tested, but we are not to retaliate against those who have wronged us. Instead, we are to bless them and pray for them, for our Savior and Lord has said: Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matt. 5:44).

Thought for Today:

Our "good intentions" will often tempt us to take matters into our own hands but it is always better to wait on the timing of God.
Christ Revealed:

By David's refusal to take the kingdom by force or before the appointed time set by God (I Sam. 24:10-13). Christ refused to become King of Israel. When Jesus . . . perceived (knew) that they would come and take Him by force, to make Him a King, He departed (John 6:15).
Word Studies:

22:4 hold =b> stronghold, safe place; 22:17 footmen =b> guards; 22:18 fell upon =b> attacked and murdered; 22:22 I have occasioned =b> I am to blame for; 23:9 practised mischief =b> planning to harm; 23:16 strengthened his hand =b> encouraged his faith; 23:22 his haunt =b> where he is hiding, subtilely =b> craftily; 23:26 compassed =b> were encircling; 24:3 sheepcotes =b> where sheep were kept; to cover his feet =b> to take a nap; 24:4 privily =b> unobserved, secretly; 24:7 stayed =b> persuaded, restrained; 24:11 skirt =b> corner; 24:19 go well away =b> get away safely.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Staff: Tammy Davis • Government Official: Rep. David Wu (OR) • Country: Guatemala (12.3 million) in Central America • Major languages: Spanish and Indian languages • Religious freedom • 60% Catholic; 35% Protestant; 2% Animist; 1.5% Other; 1.5% None • Prayer Suggestion: Pray for safety in your travels (Rom. 1:10).
Optional Reading: Acts 9

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 9
Read I Samuel 25 -- 27

Don't miss today's reading! We learn that we can receive protection from satanic deception as well as direction from God as David did (25:32-33,39; 26:22-24) if we stay faithful and respect biblical principles like David (26:8-12). Plus, like this man after God's own heart, we learn when we have done all we can to correct a situation, we should wait on the Lord (Chaps. 25 -- 26; see Prov. 20:22).
David had passed up an opportunity to remove the only person who stood in the way of him being king as the prophet of God had earlier foretold (I Sam. 16:12-13; 23:15-18). But no one can gain God's best by putting someone else down.

Never were David's men more wrong than when they believed David would be justified in killing Saul (24:4). It is written: To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence (Deut. 32:35): O Lord God, to whom vengeance belongeth. . . . And He shall bring upon them their own iniquity, and shall cut them off in their own wickedness; yeah, the Lord our God shall cut them off (Ps. 94:1,23); and Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, saith the Lord (Rom 12:19).

To point out David's respect for the authority of God, on another occasion David and Abishal came to the people by night: and, behold, Saul lay sleeping within the trench, and his spear stuck in the ground at his bolster: but Abner and the people lay round about him (I Sam. 26:7).

Abishai insisted: God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him. . . . And David said to Abishal, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord's anointed, and be guiltless? . . . the Lord shall smite him . . . or he shall descend into battle, and perish (26:8-10). Satan always insists there is an exception to Biblical principles. "Just once," has defeated many.

David proved his submission to the authority of God by refusing to kill Saul and seize the throne. Anointed king of Israel long before he had suffered years without family and comfort, David refused to disobey the Word of God.

Through David's many days of humbly seeking the Lord, God had prepared him to wait and receive the kingdom in God's time and with a spirit of grateful dependence upon Him.

It should never be forgotten: Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers . . . ordained of God (Rom. 13:1) and follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (Heb. 12:14).

Thought for Today:

Waiting on the fulfillment of the promises of God can be difficult, but His timing is always perfect and full of purpose.
Christ Revealed:

By Abigail's efforts to make peace between David and Nabal (I Sam. 25:21-28). God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself (II Cor. 5:19).
Word Studies:

25:3 churlish =rude, harsh, cruel; 25:14 railed on =insulted; 25:15 conversant with =associated with; 25:21 requited =returned, repaid; 25:27 blessing =gift; 25:28 a sure house = lasting dynasty; 25:29 bound in the bundle of life =safe in the care of the Lord; 26:5 in the trench =inside the barricade; 26:7 bolster =headrest, pillow; 26:15 kept =guarded; 26:24 set by =valued; 27:1 coast =territory; 27:10 road =raid; 27:11 manner =behavior.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for International Shortwave Broadcasts in memory of Sam Hall • Executive Director of the IBRA in our Washington DC Branch: Reverend Michael Hall • Country: Guinea (8 million) on the Atlantic coast of western Africa • Major languages: French and tribal languages • Freedom for nationals, but strict limitations on missionaries • 83% Muslim; 12% tribal religions; 4% Roman Catholic; .6% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Give thanks for trials because from them we can learn patience (Rom. 5:3).
Optional Reading: Acts 10

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 10
Read I Samuel 28 -- 31

The Philistines declare war. Whose side will David take (28:1-2)? God solves David's problem by having the Philistines reject his help to fight (chap. 29). Saul, who lost communication with the Lord, now seeks it via a witch (28:7-20). Samuel delivers Saul's death warrant (28:19). David's family and others are kidnapped (chap. 30). Israel is defeated and Saul dies tragically (31:2-6).
Saul's disobedience in the early years of his reign seemed insignificant to him, but he developed a habit of choosing his own way rather than the will of God. God had given Saul the privilege of reigning over the kingdom of Israel, but his persistent disobedience and hatred of David disqualified him from continuing his rule over the people of God.

When Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled (28:5). Saul had ruthlessly murdered all the priests of Nob earlier (22:18-19) and Samuel was dead; his godly support was gone. When Saul (in despair) inquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets (28:6).

In a final act of desperation and in willful rebellion against the Word of God, Saul sought advice from a sorceress. When the woman saw Samuel, she cried (out) with a loud voice (in a state of shock): and . . . spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul (28:12) (who had banned this evil practice). Then said Samuel . . . the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy (28:16).

Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines. . . . And the Philistines . . . slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, Saul's sons. And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him; and he was sore wounded of the archers. . . . Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it (31:1-4).

Like Saul, those who reject the Truth of God can easily become victims of false prophets, spirtualists, fortune-tellers, or other worldly counselors (Deut. 18:10-12; Matt. 24:24).

Those who are willing to walk by faith according to the light of the Word of God will never seek guidance or information from any Satanic source.

Jesus warned that before His return many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many (Matt. 24:11).

Thought for Today:

Continual rejection of the will of God will harden our hearts. To remain sensitive to His will, daily read and obey the Word of God.
Christ Revealed:

Through the Urim (I Sam. 28:6), which was used to determine the will of God. Today Christ speaks to us through His Spirit when we read His Word. God . . . Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son (Heb. 1:1-2). When He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all Truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come (John 16:13).
Word Studies:

28:2 keeper of mine head =permanent captain of my bodyguard; 28:7 familiar spirit =demonic spirit that works through a medium, spiritualist, witch, or fortune-teller (Lev. 19:31; 20:6,27; Deut. 18:9-12); 28:14 mantle =robe; 28:15 sore =deeply; 28:21 sore =severely; 29:3 fell unto me =came over and joined me; 30:12 his spirit came again to him =he revived; 30:21 faint =exhausted; saluted =greeted; 30:31 wont to haunt =accustomed to stay; 31:2 followed hard upon =overtook; 31:3 sore =sadly; 31:4 abuse =torture.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Assistant to the Executive Director of the IBRA in our Washington DC Branch: Terry Hall • Country: Guinea-Bissau (1 million) on the western coast of Africa • Major languages: Portuguese and Criolo • Religious freedom • 51% animist; 42% Muslim; 6% Roman Catholic; .7% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Depend upon the Holy Spirit to help you in your prayers (Rom. 8:26-27).
Optional Reading: Acts 11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 11
Read II Samuel 1 -- 2

Seeking to kill him, Saul had caused David to become a fugitive! What do you suppose David did after Saul's death (1:11-12)? David is anointed as king over Judah; Ishbosheth becomes king over Israel (2:1-11; 5:3). Civil war breaks out. The battle gets personal as we note that Zeruiah is David's sister (I Chr. 2:13-16) and the three men mentioned are his nephews (II Sam. 2:18).
An Amalekite nomad carried in his hand the crown of Saul. Everyone knew of Saul's hatred of David, and this Amalekite thought David would be delighted to hear that he had executed King Saul. Just think! Saul had driven David far from the God-ordained place of worship and into exile. David could not rejoice over Israel's defeat, but mourned, and wept, and fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son . . . and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen (defeated in battle) (1:12).

David expressed grief primarily concerning the shame Israel's defeat brought upon the Lord, saying: The beauty (glory and honor) of Israel is slain. . . . Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon; lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice. . . . Ye daughters of Israel, weep over Saul. . . . How are the mighty fallen (1:19-20,24,27). God had commanded the Israelites: Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer (dispenser of gossip) among thy people (Lev. 19:16).

Similar situations occur today when Christians, because of their inconsistencies and sins, provide the world with opportunities to ridicule Christianity and dishonor our Lord. The world delights in discovering and broadcasting the failures of Christians and uses them to excuse their own sins. Surely every spiritually-minded Christian will tell it not in Gath and never gossip about backslidden Christians.

The pleasure which some find in making known the sins of others exposes their own hypocrisy. If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion (testimony) is vain (worthless) (James 1:26).

Our Lord pointed out the immense value set upon our words: A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. . . . every idle word that men . . . speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned (Matt. 12:35-37).

Thought for Today:

When we criticize others for their failures, we are placing ourselves in the dangerous position of failing ourselves (I Cor. 10:12).
Christ Revealed:

In David's sorrowful poem (II Sam. 1:17-27) he did not dwell upon all his years of suffering at the hand of Saul but dwelt only upon the pleasant things. David typifies Christ, who forgave His enemies, crying from the cross: Father, forgive them (Luke 23:34).
Word Studies:

1:2 did obeisance =vowed in honor; 1:9 anguish =extreme pain; 1:18 use of the bow =song of the bow; 2:6 requite =repay; 2:14 play before us =hold a contest as to which side has the best soldiers; 2:17 sore =fierce; 2:26 following =pursuing; 2:32 sepulchre =tomb.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Government Official: Rep. Kevin Brady (TX) • Country: Guyana (705,000) on the northeastern coast of South America • Major languages: English and Amerindian dialects • The government is becoming increasingly Marxist, radical, and atheistic • 36% Hindu; 28% Protestant; 10% Roman Catholic; 9% Muslim • Prayer Suggestion: Read the Word of God to build up your faith so that you can pray and ask in faith (Rom. 10:17).
Optional Reading: Acts 12

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

April 12
Read II Samuel 3 -- 5

We note Satan doesn't like to admit defeat, so the house of Saul continues to war against the house of David (3:1). In today's reading we have political deceit, back-stabbing, murder, war, and betrayal.
The Jebusites were a small tribe with very little territory compared to most of the Canaanites. What they had, they held for more than 500 years as they were a peaceful people and had never attacked the Israelites.

Centuries had passed since the land of promise had been won by Joshua. Yet Jerusalem, the stronghold of the Jebusites, located in the heart of the promised land, was still held by them. Nevertheless David took the strong hold of Zion: the same is the city of David (II Sam. 5:6-7; I Chr. 11:4-5).

This battle was for Jerusalem, where God chose to place the only Temple in history where He would dwell on earth. It will eventually become the city of the King of kings when He returns.

This strong hold of Zion illustrates something that may lie deep within our hearts and may never be exposed to anyone. It does not object to us giving the Lord some of our time, talents, and tithes. However, the fleshly mind with its physical impulses (Col. 2:18) secretly demands its own way. It is this mind that we must yield to the mind of Christ (I Cor. 2:16). That part of us must be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Rom. 12:2) -- by the washing of water by the Word (Eph. 5:26).

Sin is so deceitful that even spiritual experiences can be occasions for sin when they lead us to pride and focusing attention on ourselves rather than on glorifying Christ.

Is there such a "place" hidden from human view close to the center of our hearts where self still has control? Perhaps it is a forbidden love, self-interest, or treasured habit that we have never surrendered to God -- where Satan has a peaceful coexistence in our life. It could be the lust of the flesh (craving for sensual gratification), and the lust of the eyes (greedy longings of the mind), and the pride of life (confidence in one's own resources or in earthly things) (I John 2:16-17). It may seem to be as harmless as the Jebusites were to Israel, for it never interferes with our religious activities. But the Jebusites held the very spot God wanted for His capital. It depicts the place where self still sits enthroned.

It is our heart that God must control without reservation. The Holy Spirit often brings it to our attention, urging: Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ (II Cor. 10:5).

Thought for Today:

Satan's strongholds in our lives are of our own will, but all can be torn down through the Word of God (II Cor. 10:4; Eph. 6:17).
Christ Portrayed:

By David, the anointed king over Israel (II Sam. 5:3). Christ is the Lord's anointed. "Christ" is Greek for the Hebrew word Messiah (Anointed One) (Ps. 2:2; John 1:41). Jesus is the rightful King of the world. Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. . . . and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin (John 19:19-20).
Word Studies:

3:1 waxed =grew; 3:10 translate =transfer; 3:12 league =covenant; 3:27 smote =stabbed; 3:31 bier = stand for carrying a corpse; 4:2 reckoned to =considered part of; 5:8 getteth up to the gutter =enters the city through the water tunnel; 5:23 fetch a compass =circle around.
Prayer Needs:

Pray for Radio Sri Lanka Shortwave Broadcasts for the week sponsored by Mr. G.R. Bettle • Country: Haiti (7 million) in the West Indies • Major languages: French and Creole • Religious freedom • 75% Roman Catholic; 17% Protestant • Prayer Suggestion: Remember that faith is a vital tool in your prayer life to ensure your prayers are answered (Rom. 12:3).
Optional Reading: Acts 13

Memory Verse for the Week: Matthew 6:11-12

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk