MC CLURE, Luther - b. June 11, 1847 - d. December 31, 1910

Started by Janet Harrington, September 16, 2006, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Saturday morning the report came to town that Luther McClure had hanged himself.  Coroner Trowbridge went down and investigated the matter and it was found that Luther had left the home of his brother, where he was lliving, and had not returned at evening.  A search was made and his body was found hanging to the limb of a big tree not far from his home, and he had apparenlty been dead many hours.  It was not deemed necessary to hodl an inquest.

Luther McClure was a bachelor and was about 60 years old.  he had a fair education, but many years ago his mind became affected and he was several times been sent to the state asylum.  When in his right mind Luther was an intelligent man, but the shadow of his recurring insanity hung over him and ruined his life.

Luther McClure was born in Greene county, Pa., June 11, 1847 and was the second oldest in a family of nine children, three of whom survive, two sisters and one brother.  Luther had a common school and academy education, and in early manhood taught school several years.  he came to Elk county, Kansas, with the McClure family, in 1879, and taught at Elk Falls and Moline in the early eighties.  he never married, but made his home with his father till his death some years ago, since then he has lived with his brother, Lot McClure.  he died Saturday, December 31, 1910, and was buried the following day.  Funeral services were held at the home, conducted by Bro. George H. Ransom.

(Readers, please understand that I got this article from a clipping that came from the Helen Vinette family.  It appeared that Helen or Mrs. Vinette as I knew her had clipped articles from the newspaper and pasted them onto the pages of an old Marshall's Bookkeeping book.  I don't have any knowledge what newspaper this came from, but one can assume it was from one of the Howard papers.  There will be several more articles and obits like this.  The Vinette family so kindly let me borrow the book, so thank you Vinette family, "Rex and Jane")

genealogynut

Nice work, Janet!  Keep it up!  Sounds like your keyboard must be getting rather hot!! :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk