Daily Living for Seniors

Started by Judy Harder, January 21, 2009, 09:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

january 21, 2009

Daily Living for Seniors

On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. --Romans 12:20-21

There is a story of a Christian lady who owned two prized chickens. One day, they got out of their cage and wandered into the garden of an ill-tempered neighbor. When the neighbor realized the hens were loose in his yard, he caught them, wrung their necks, and threw them back over the fence hoping that would teach his neighbor a lesson.

Obviously, the woman was upset when she discovered her neighbor had killed her chickens, but she didn't retaliate by rushing to his house to yell at him. Instead, she took the two deceased birds, dressed them, and made some chicken pot pies. She then carried one of the pies over to the man who had committed the crime.

Her children, expecting an angry scene among the two, hid behind a bush in the man's yard to see his reaction. But when the Christian lady apologized for not being more careful about keeping her chickens penned up, they saw he was left speechless! That chicken pie he held in his hands, along with the apology, filled him with embarrassment and shame.

You see, the woman wasn't trying to get even. She wasn't returning evil for evil. All she wanted to do was show her neighbor the meaning of true Christian love. And her actions could have been the catalyst to bring him to faith in Christ. What a challenge this is for you and me today!

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask God to give you wisdom to do the right thing when conflicts arise between you and others. Pray that He would help you demonstrate the love of Christ so it would point others toward Jesus.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. --John 15:13

There was a baby girl in the hospital who was critically injured and had lost a large amount of blood. She urgently needed a transfusion, but the doctors couldn't find anyone with her rare blood type--except her 7-year-old brother.

The doctor took the young boy into his office, sat him down, and said, "Your sister is very sick. Unless we can help her, she's going to leave us and go to heaven. Will you give your blood to your baby sister so she can live?"

The young boy turned pale and his eyes filled with fear, but after a short period he whispered to the doctor, "Yes, I will."

At that, the physician smiled reassuringly and said, "Thank you. I knew you would."

The transfusion took place, and the 7-year-old seemed very nervous as he watched the blood from his body flow through the tube to his sister. The doctor said, "Don't worry, son. It will all be over before long." At that moment, big tears welled up in the little boy's eyes.

"Will I die soon? Will it be quick?" he asked the doctor.

It was obvious that this brave young boy thought he was giving up his own life so that his baby sister could live! What a beautiful picture of sacrifice and love.

In the very same way, Christ willingly gave His blood to save us from our sins. Yet it's easy to lose sight of this...to become so accustomed to hearing the story that we forget the magnitude of what His death really accomplished for you and me.

The fact is, Christ's death and resurrection is the greatest news we can ever receive! And we should live each day in praise and thanks to the Savior who gave His life for us.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Thank Jesus for the forgiveness of sin and eternal life He made available when He shed His precious blood on the cross for you...and commit to live a life that reflects your gratitude.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even "sinners" do that. --Luke 6:33

R.L. Sharpe related the following story:

"When I was just a lad, my father called me to go with him to old Mr. Trussel's blacksmith shop. He had left a rake and a hoe to be repaired, and when we got there, they were fixed like new. Father handed him some money for the work, but Mr. Trussel refused to take it. 'No', he said, 'there's no charge for that little job.'

"My father kept insisting, but I shall never forget that great man's reply. 'Ed,' he said, can't you let a Christian do something now and then--just to stretch his soul?'

"That short but effective sermon set me to thinking. I since have found the great joy and quiet happiness that come from doing little things for Jesus, and in the process I'm 'stretching my soul.'"

This really is Christianity in action! Scripture says that one of the fruits of the Spirit is kindness (see Galatians 5:22). And Proverbs 19:22 says, "What a man desires is unfailing love...." Our world is submerged in so much hate that it is oftentimes easy for believers to catch some of it. But kindness is key in the Christian life.

The Bible says that all believers should "add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love" (2 Peter 1:5-7).

Just as Christ first loved you and showed you the kindness you truly didn't deserve, so should we display the loving kindness of Christ to all people.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask God to give you the chance today to be kind to someone who may or may not deserve it.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. --Acts 1:8

A young woman excited about her salvation developed a deep desire to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the world. She felt called to missions, so she asked her pastor where she might go to serve to be most effective. He told her to come back the following day and he would have an answer for her then.

The next day, when she returned to his office, the pastor was waiting for her with an answer. He handed her a folded slip of paper and said, "I'm suggesting that you begin with someone who needs Christ right now more than anyone else in the entire world."

The young woman quickly left the pastor's office, eager to find out where her mission field was. She carefully opened the note and was surprised to discover two words: "Your father."

She had been so passionate about reaching the lost in foreign lands that she had neglected to share the Gospel with someone so close to home.

Are there people in your life who don't know Jesus? Maybe it's a parent, a sibling, a grandchild, a close friend, an acquaintance, one of your children, or even your spouse. Many people make the mistake of thinking the only mission field is overseas.

But God has called you to share the Good News of His Word right where you are—in your city, neighborhood, and among your circle of friends. If you know someone who is living with no hope and without a relationship with Jesus, then take the time today to share truth that will change their lives forever.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask God to reveal people in your life that need to know the Lord so you can share Christ with them. Pray that He would open up the right opportunity at the right time for the Holy Spirit to work in their lives through you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. --John 1:11

In The King's Business magazine, there was a story published once that told of a Christian fisherman who decided to spend the night on his boat. In the middle of the night, he heard a loud splash...and knew right away that the man in the yacht next to him had fallen in as a result of his heavy drinking. So he jumped into the cold water to save him.

With great effort, the fisherman pulled the man back onto his yacht and gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to help bring him back to life. After successfully rendering aid, he put the man back in his bed and swam back to his own boat.

The next morning, the fisherman returned to the yacht to see how the man was doing. But surprisingly, the man ungratefully replied, "It's none of your business!"

The fisherman reminded him that he had rescued him and saved his life the night before. But instead of showing gratitude, the man openly cursed and threatened him.

As the Christian man rowed away, tears filled his eyes and he prayed, "When I think of how men have treated You, Lord, I'm filled with sorrow. Now I can begin to understand just a little how You must feel when others reject You."

When you are persecuted by others because of your faith in Christ, think of the rejection that Jesus faced so that you could have forgiveness of your sins and eternal life through Him. Continue to profess His name and remember what He did on the cross...because great is your reward when you persevere in the midst of trials.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Thank the Lord for the sacrifice He made for you in the midst of persecution and rejection. Pray that He would give you strength so that His name may be glorified through it all.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. --Psalm 119:71

Farmers in southern Alabama were accustomed to planting one crop every year--cotton. They would simply plow as much ground as they could and plant their crop. Year after year, they made their living by growing cotton.

Then one year, the dreaded boll weevil devastated the whole region. The next year, the farmers mortgaged their homes and planted cotton again, hoping for a better harvest. But as the cotton began to grow, the insects returned and completely destroyed the crop--wiping out most of the farms that grew cotton.

The next year, the few farmers who survived decided to plant a different crop in hopes of regaining their livelihoods--peanuts. The new crop proved to be so hardy and the market so ravenous that it enabled the farmers to pay off all their debts from the two previous years of failed crops.

Every season thereafter, the farmers planted peanuts...and they prospered greatly. And eventually, the farmers spent some of their new wealth to erect a monument to the boll weevil in the town square! They figured if it hadn't been for the pesky insect, then they never would have planted the prosperous peanut crops.

As believers, we have the assurance of knowing that God can use the "boll weevils" in our lives for something good. In fact, Romans 8:28 says, "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

No matter what trials may come knocking on your door unexpectedly, know God is in control and working behind the scenes for your ultimate good!

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Thank God for being in control of all the situations in your life--good and bad. And ask Him for the patience you need to wait for the light after the darkness of your trials.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone.'" --Luke 4:4

There's a story about an old man who lived in the mountains with his young grandson. Each morning, the grandfather would sit at the kitchen table and read from his worn-out Bible. Wanting to be just like his grandfather, the young boy would imitate him by reading his own Bible.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandfather, I try to read the Bible just like you, but I don't understand it. When I do understand it, I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Bible do?"

The grandfather simply replied, "Son, take this old wicker coal basket down to the river and bring back a basket of water."

The boy did as he was told, but the water leaked out of the basket before he could get back to the house. The grandfather sent him back three more times and told him to move faster each time. Every time, the frustrated boy returned with an empty basket.

Finally, out of breath, the young boy said to his grandfather, "See...it's useless!"

The old man said, "Look at the basket. Instead of a dirty old wicker coal basket, it's now clean. Son, that's what happens when you read the Bible. You might not understand it or remember everything you read, but when you do, it will change you from the inside out."

As believers in Christ in a fallen world, you and I must saturate our hearts and minds with the Word of God every day. Just like the young boy above, it may seem that we can't retain or comprehend everything we read. But remember that God uses His Word to change us from the inside out!

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Make a commitment to the Lord to study His Word faithfully each day. And pray that He will use the Scripture to cleanse you and make you more like Jesus.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

"I will forget my complaint, I will change my expression, and smile." -- Job 9:27

We all know the saying, "Laughter is the best medicine." This is actually more than just a cliché. Health studies actually show that smiling and laughter really are very good for the body.

When you laugh, you increase your natural defenses against tumors, disease, and viruses. Laughter also lowers the blood pressure, increases oxygen in the blood, and promotes healing. What a gift God has given us that such a simple act can have such a positive effect not only our disposition but on our physical health.

You may have also noticed how smiles and laughter can be infectious. A smile can spread from one person to the next. Think of how you can bless a number of people simply by wearing a smile on your face.

In Luke 6:21, Jesus blesses, "you who weep now, for you will laugh." He's speaking of our time in Heaven when there will be no more tears. If God is planning to replace our tears with laughter, maybe we should get a head start. I encourage you to try to laugh more today. It may help you feel a lot better.

Prayer Challenge -- Ask God to remove any sorrow from your heart today. Pray for healing laughter in its place.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. --Matthew 6:34

One day, a young, new preacher was walking with an older, seasoned preacher in a garden. Feeling uncertain about God's plan for his life, the younger man asked the older man for some direction.

The veteran preacher picked a rosebud from a nearby bush and asked the younger man to open it without tearing any petals. The young man wondered what a rosebud could possibly have to do with knowing God's will for his life and ministry, but attempted to open the rosebud anyway.

It wasn't long before he realized how impossible this task was. Noticing his difficulty, the older and wiser preacher said:

"It is only a tiny rosebud...a flower of God's design;

But I cannot unfold the petals with these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers is not known to such as I.

God opens this flower so sweetly, then in my hands they die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud, the flower of God's design,

Then how can I have the wisdom to unfold this life of mine?

So, I'll trust in Him for leading each moment of my day.

I will look to Him for guidance each step of the Pilgrim's way.

The pathway that lies before me only my Heavenly Father knows.

I'll trust Him to unfold the moments just as He unfolds the rose."

No matter what age you are, it can be frustrating to figure out God's will at times. But we serve a God who knows how many hairs are on our heads...and His plan for your life is perfect! Instead of worrying about what tomorrow or the next day holds, take one day at a time and trust in the Savior for His faithful guidance.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Pray that God would help you focus on today, not tomorrow. And ask Him to give you wisdom as He reveals His plan for your life one day at a time.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. --Galatians 5:22-23

One evening, an older Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a terrible battle inside every person. He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside of us all. One is evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, lies, pride, and superiority."

His grandson asked, "What is the other wolf?"

The elderly man said, "It is good--peace, joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith."

The man's young grandson thought for a moment and then asked, "Which wolf wins?"

The wise Cherokee man replied, "The one you feed the most."

Whether he knew it or not, this wise man could have been relating the battle between good and evil that Paul talked about in God's Word.

Too often, you and I tend to let some characteristics of the "bad wolf" take over the good--even as believers in Jesus. In order to fully grow in our relationship with the Lord, we must feed the "good wolf" to live out the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.

The Bible says, "your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5), thereby affecting your thoughts, words, and actions. Make a conscious effort today to display Christ's attitude to every one with whom you come in contact.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask the Lord to help you feed the "good wolf" today. Pray that He would make you more like Christ in attitude, actions, and spirit.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk