January 4, 1945
George Smith Retires From Active Connection With the Store--Arthur Goodwin, Miss Nina Garett and Cecil Hebb Buying Most of Interest
Announcement is made this week of a change in the Smith & Goodwin firm. George Smith has sold most of his interest in the big store to his partner, Arthur W. Goodwin, and two of the sales force, Miss Nina Garett and Cecil Hebb, who now assume an interest in the partnership. Mr. Smith will retire from active connection with the firm. The store will continue under the Smith & Goodwin firm name, at the same location, and with the same class of high quality merchandise.
George Smith started work in 1884 in the Momma, McKey, & Eby store which was established in 1878, and which has developed into the present large mercantile establishment, working mornings, evenings, and Saturdays while attending school. In October, 1887, he took a full time job, and became a partner in the business in 1891. He has completed nearly sixty-one years of association with the business, with the exceptions of the years 1926 to 1929, which with his family, he spent in California. Since 1908 he and Mr. Goodwin have been associated as partners, with the exception of the time just mentioned above.
Arthur W. Goodwin came to Howard in 1893, and with the exception of four years which were spent in Cherryvale and Coffeyville, Kansas and Kansas City and McFall, Missouri, has been actively associated with the business life on main street in Howard. During the many years in business with Mr. Smith the firm of Smith & Goodwin has become well known all over the mid-west and has drawn trade to Howard from many miles beyond the natural trade limits. Mr. Goodwin served as an officer of mid-west retail dealer's associations at different times. The firm's connections and credit standing with the wholesale houses has always enabled them to secure the best of merchandise at prices which has allowed them to compete with city stores. Dozens of well known nationally advertised lines of merchandise have been carried by this store for years and in a number of instances are exclusive for this section. These with the pick of the markets, carefully selected by the store's buyers, have made Smith & Goodwin known and respected over a wide territory.
The new people in the firm are not strangers to our folks, both being raised and educated in our community, living here most of their lives. Miss Nina Garret has been actively associated with the old firm for twenty-four years as saleslady and cashier, and Cecil Hebb has now been with the store for several years in charge of the men's department.
The new firm make-up will enable them to carry on the business, holding up to the high standard of quality and service built up during the past years by Messrs. Smith & Goodswin.
The store announces that the present sales force will be maintained, all of them capable and popular and well known to the trading public. Mrs. L. L. Perrin has been employed in the present store for sixteen years, and Mrs. F. N. Force, Mrs. Beatrice Kauffman and Marvin Stanley, while not so long with the store, make a strong team in the various departments.
The public wishes for the new firm the best of success and all hope Mr. Smith will enjoy his well deserved rest and soon recover his health.