Civil war Veterans Buried in Kansas

Started by jajacks62, January 14, 2009, 07:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jajacks62

As you know I photograph tombstones of Civil war veterans in Kansas cemeteries.  Unfortunately there is only one of me and this state is very large.  I do not wish to leave out anybodies ancestor or miss any veteran so I came up with the ideal to use Flickr to help me and us get the Virtual Civil war Veteran cemetery for Kansas together.  I stated a group in Flickr called "Civil war Veterans Buried in Kansas".  People can get a free Flickr account which can hold up to 200 photos.  They can join the group and upload their photos.  The photos are copyrighted to the individual screen name so people get credit for their photos.  Photos can be tombstone photos, pictures of veterans, pictures of obituaries (of course remembering copyright rules) or pictures of documents about Civil war veterans.  The group webpage is at the following address: 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civilwar_veterans_tombstones/sets/

Tobina+1

Wow!  Impressive!  You've gone to a lot of work to pay tribute to these veterans!  What a creative idea to bring the state together, too!

W. Gray

Some of these folks must have had some interesting stories to tell.

Moline Cemetery:
Daniel Snyder, Company C, 140th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, was born in 1853. That would have made him twelve years old or so when the war ended in 1865.

Grace Lawn Cemetery:
Thomas M. Carter, Company I, 37th Illinois Infantry, was born in 1849 and would have been sixteen or so when the war ended.

At the other extreme David Hart, also in Grace Lawn cemetery, was born in 1802 and died in 1866; he would have been in his sixties during the Civil War.

On a similar note, Jeremiah Johnson (played by Robert Redford in the 1972 movie) enlisted in the Union Army at age 41. Only a thin slice of his life was portrayed in the movie.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Jody

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING MY GRANDFATHER IN THE HOWARD GROUP       BRICE DAVIS     

JOANNE  CRISMAS, CLEVENGER

Ms Bear

The 1905 Kansas State Census shows Military information including name of prison the person was in during the war.  Noticed a few that served time in Andersonville.

Ms Bear

Marty

Hi, keep up the good work, but their are several other people like me in Kansas also photographing civil war stones, many of us enter them into findagrave.com. We do this so others researching their family history are able to locate were their civil war vet is buried. So far as my intrest I'm looking for any Civil War soliders buired in Kansas with Company C, 73rd Illinois Infantry.

twirldoggy

James Marion Cardin, Confederate Soldier, buried in DeBusk Cemetery, Chautauqua County Kansas .

redcliffsw

Buried in the Moline Cemetery, Elk County, Kansas, is a Confederate named James Lewis Shaw.
"Lewis" Shaw served in Company "D", 62nd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment CSA from Monroe County, Tennessee.

Marker photo:
http://www.ksgennet.org/ks/ek/cem/moline/ShawJamesL.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk