Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, January 08, 2009, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

giester2

Does any one know why it is named Cresco?

I always thought it was a family named cemetery but according to the link below, there is no one surnamed Cresco buried there.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kscemete/elk/Cressco/cem-cresco.shtml
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

giester2

never mind...read an obit on that link and it seems that it was a community at one point north of howard
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

W. Gray

Cresco had a post office from 1876 to 1880.

Some of the very early Santa Fe RR maps show Cresco as a stop.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Milan G. Goss, who patented the NE1/4 of Sect. 12, Twp. 29, Range 11, is the one responsible for the naming of the Cresco community.  In 1874, when the school district was formed, he suggested the name "Cresco" in honor of his old home in Cresco, Iowa. 

Marcia Moore

In the early days, there was a stagecoach stop located one-fourth of a mile south of the Cresco Cemetery.  Those early maps must be incorrect, as the Santa Fe railroad never went through Cresco, it instead traveled 2-1/2 miles east of Cresco, through what later became the community of Fiat.  Possibly when those maps were made it was just thought the railroad would go through the Cresco community. 
     Most of the residents of the Cresco community did their shopping at Fiat, while others boarded the train at Fiat to shop either in Severy or in Howard. 

Teresa

Marcia ..you never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge..

When ARE you going to get that book out?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Marcia Moore

Actually I should have the stories finished this year.  Then comes the editing and layout work, but hopefully by the end of next year it will be out?  Don't quote me on that, though, as this project has taken much more time than I ever thought it would.  This July will mark 11 years since I started working on it, but I must say I have loved every minute of it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk