Howard roundabout !!!!!

Started by pepelect, October 24, 2008, 09:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

I was having a water problem so I went to the city council meeting to discuss. 

The problem I have is that every time the Kansas weather unleashes a torrent or rain I get water in my basement at the store.  It is a common problem.  You say why would the city be involved?  I think the source of the water is the giant well that is in the intersection of Wabash and Randolph.  Every time the water is coming out of the center of the street the sump pumps are running at full force. 

I asked if the water was needed or if the well could be drained and filled. 

Come to find out the well and water system feeding it was built to provide water for fire fighting in the greater downtown area inside the beltway.  The cistern is still listed as a backup source.  Lets clean in out and start using it as a new asset to the area.

To my proposal is to utilize it as it was designed.  Provide a way to pump and use the water for fighting fires. 

We could build a round a bout around the center of the street and install a raised tank or fountain base if you will.  The water could be pumped up in the air as a geyser or in times of need pumped into the giant 750 gallon per minute sucking big ass firetruck. 

This would serve many purposes:

• It would eliminate the maintenance need for 4 stop signs that no one stops at anyway.

• It would provide needed emergency water for the fire fighting. 

• Justification for the water in my basement
  •   Are there other benefits?

Because roundabouts improve the efficiency of traffic flow, they also reduce vehicle emissions and fuel consumption. In one study, replacing a signalized intersection with a roundabout reduced carbon monoxide emissions by 29 percent and nitrous oxide emissions by 21 percent.9 In another study, replacing traffic signals and stop signs with roundabouts reduced carbon monoxide emissions by 32 percent, nitrous oxide emissions by 34 percent, carbon dioxide emissions by 37 percent, and hydrocarbon emissions by 42 percent.10 Constructing roundabouts in place of traffic signals can reduce fuel consumption by about 30 percent.9,11 At 10 intersections studied in Virginia, this amounted to more than 200,000 gallons of fuel per year.8 And roundabouts can enhance aesthetics by providing landscaping opportunities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/list][/list]

Mom70x7

Patrick -

I think a fountain in the middle of downtown is an excellent idea - especially if it has a hook-up for the fire trucks in case of a downtown fire.

But . . . to put in a roundabout?  ??? As a way to reduce on vehicle emissions?  ???

Do we have enough traffic to have vehicle emissions to reduce.  :D  :D  :D

Oh - and the fountain downtown - we could use it for water games during the Elk River Festival.  :D  :laugh:

Catwoman

The best way to determine what good or evils that a roundabout would bring would be to hire a city planner/engineering office to present you with the results that other cities have faced.  Newton has a roundabout...Hutch also.  It's a good idea, Patrick. 

Wilma

Is the intersection big enough for a roundabout or would we have to cut the corners off all the corner buildings, ie:  the drug store, both banks, etc?

Catwoman

Roundabouts are an idea that comes and goes over the years.  I can see one problem with having one in downtown Howard...how exactly are you going to get all of the horses, cars, trucks, and floats down the street when having your parades?  A roundabout might present a real obstacle to continuing a Howard, America, tradition.

sixdogsmom

Edie

Dale Smith

The intersection right outside the front gate of the university, where i work, is a five-point intersection.  That in and of itself is confusing to some folks, however, it was turned into a round-about.  What a nightmare.  Maybe in a world where it isn't every man for himself-it's all about me and I don't care about you - this could work.  It doesn't.  Apparently people can't figure out how to use it and it creates a lot of traffic delays.  We thought it would get better once folks got used to it.  It's been in place for three years now. The traffic just keeps getting worse.  I wouldn't wish a round-about on anybody!!!

sixdogsmom

Quote from: Wilma on October 25, 2008, 09:11:39 AM
Is the intersection big enough for a roundabout or would we have to cut the corners off all the corner buildings, ie:  the drug store, both banks, etc?

Let's see, we could have drive through banks, drive through grocery/drugstore, drivethrough etc, etc!  ;D ;D
Edie

Catwoman

Quote from: Dale Smith on October 25, 2008, 01:11:29 PM
The intersection right outside the front gate of the university, where i work, is a five-point intersection.  That in and of itself is confusing to some folks, however, it was turned into a round-about.  What a nightmare.  Maybe in a world where it isn't every man for himself-it's all about me and I don't care about you - this could work.  It doesn't.  Apparently people can't figure out how to use it and it creates a lot of traffic delays.  We thought it would get better once folks got used to it.  It's been in place for three years now. The traffic just keeps getting worse.  I wouldn't wish a round-about on anybody!!!
Your opinion is what most people end up saying, once they have one.  However, Patrick has a valid concern...how to keep his business from being inundated with water when it rains the right amount.  Would there be a way to install some sort of tranfer line to take the water away from that particular point to a place where the water could be held until needed in case of fire?  I don't think you'd want the water in that cistern to be utilized in any other way, given what might be growing in that water.

indygal

QuoteI can see one problem with having one in downtown Howard...how exactly are you going to get all of the horses, cars, trucks, and floats down the street when having your parades?  A roundabout might present a real obstacle to continuing a Howard, America, tradition.

That's simple. Just have the parade start at the north end of Washington, swing around the fountain and head back for the second pass. That would sure speed things up, now wouldn't it....

You could also use Wabash and the roundabout as an uber-barrel racing course without the barrels. Just barrel down the street, clockwise around the fountain, and back. Have teams, with one starting/returning at Washington, and one starting/returning at Adams.

Make the fountain a wishing well so the driver can toss loose change into it while navigating the circle. Cash in the coins to help pay for the cost of building the intersection.

Howardites (including yours truly) are already making U-ies in front of Family Market and Cookson's ... maybe a roundabout in front of the hardware store would make it even more interesting.

People will burn more gas going around the thing a dozen times (before figuring out how to exit) than they do when stopped at a sign.

I think it's an awesome idea myself. I'd like to see one of Jerry Hubbell's sculptures as the centerpiece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk