ROYSE, George Austin - b. March 2, 1914 - d. September 24, 2002

Started by genealogynut, August 13, 2006, 01:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Thursday, September 26, 2002
Winfield Daily Courier

George Austin Royse, 88, longtime resident of Longton, died September 24, 2002 at the Elk Manor Nursing Home in Moline.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Longton United Methodist Church.  Burial will be in Grace Lawn Cemetery at Howard.

A memorial has been established with the Longton United Methodist Church.  Contributions may be made through Zimmerman Funeral Home.

Royse was born March 2, 1914, in Hooker, Okla. to Ethel Pearl (Small) and Fred Eugene Royse.  He attended rural school near Hooker before moving to the Elk Falls area with his family in 1924.

On May 10, 1938 he married Mable Grace Sprague in Sedan.  Royse was a farmer and stockman in the Longton and Elk City area most of his life.  His wife died June 7, 1980.

On Feb. 22, 1982, Royse married Ruth Osborn in Springfield, Colo.  They made their home on a farm northwest of Elk City until moving to Longton in 1987.  Royse had been a resident at the nursing home since January.

He was a long-time member of the Longton United Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Royse, Longton, three daughters, Jean Elda Miller, Lee's Summit, Mo, Mildred Beiter. Coffeyville, and Ethel Holloway, Elkhart, Indiana, a step-daughter, Lyneva Bryan, Herington, a sister, Edith Sprague, Shawnee, six grandchildren, three stepgrandchildren, anf three great grandchildren.

genealogynut

George knew many people in Elk County, and there are a number of relatives within the county.  His wife, Ruth, was known in the Howard school system as either Mrs. Sherman, or Mrs. Wiltfong. I never really knew her while I was attending school, as I didn't have her for a teacher.

Ruth told me a few years ago, the reason she didn't do much smiling, was she felt she didn't have a pretty smile.  I found out differently!!  I had a chance to work with her while I was researching the Morgan history, and she is a very delightful person!!  She now lives in Herington where she is close to her daughter, Lyneva.

Janet Harrington

I knew Ruth Royse when she taught me Adnormal Psychology through ICCC.  She was a wonderful teacher.  I always loved talking to her when I would see her in Longton.  I hope her health is good and that she is enjoying being close to family.

genealogynut

Ruth did not want to leave Elk County at all, as she had lived here all of her life.  But she wanted to make it easier for her daughter, (who is also a teacher) in case if she (Ruth) needed any help.  I think it may have been a possibility that Ruth had some major health problems, but I can't really say. Her auction was held at Longton about a year ago.   

Teresa

Ruth was my 6th grade teacher and at that time scared the daylights out of me.
Sje made Joanne Wiseman eat a peice of notbook paper once. She had to chew it up and then ( not swallowit, but go spit it out. I can't remember the reason, but it was enough for me.  :o
I was good in her class..and since that was the only teacher you had all day.. there wasn't any getting around it.

When I was in high school, Ruth had to go through the death
of her son, Virgil... and that was horrible. I remember it well, as Virgil was a year older than me.

Then when I really got to know Ruth was when she tutored Derek for his senior studies so he could graduate.  She told me that he was very very smart..and if anyone ever told me anything different, I wasn't to believe them. She would keep him with her later than necessary sometimes so they could just talk and visit.
She helped him so much and he really liked and enjoyed being around her.
And yes, when she laughs and smiles  you can't help but laugh with her because she is a true joy to be around. :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk