Roast Beef leftovers

Started by Joanna, September 22, 2008, 10:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

I'd like to find a couple more recipes to use up leftover roast.  I already make pot pie and stew quite often; and once in a while I make bbq beef sandwiches.  Anyone have a favorite recipe to use up cooked roast beef?

Mom70x7

We sometimes mix it with Mushroom Soup and serve it over toast and biscuits.

Tried it once in an aspic.  :P  Nasty stuff.  :D

Teresa

I make hash..

I don't use a recipe..but I will try to make measurements.
Mary Lou Mills taught Sherri and I how to make this.

Leftover roast beef, cubed or shredded
White potatoes, cubed (equal to meat amount)
1 lg. onion, chopped and browned in butter
Garlic powder, to taste
Salt and pepper
Water

1 large pot, put all ingredients in together.
Cover with water, cook on low fire until  potatoes are done adding water if you need to so that it makes it kinda soupy as the hash liquid cooks down.

Bake some biscuits. I make homemade baking powder biscuits..but you can use Flo's Whop biscuits too :D..
Or make some garlic crusty bread that you have buttered both sides and sprinkled with garlic and put under the broiler until crispy on both sides.
You have a full meal

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Catwoman

My mom used to take cooked roast beef and put it through a meat grinder to make a sort of roast beef salad spread.  Man, was it ever good, too.  She could do that with cooked ham and cooked chicken or turkey, too...along with making open faced sandwiches, with lots of roast beef and gravy over sliced bread.  Old fashioned fare but delicious!  Or, she'd take the leftovers and make beef and noodles out of it (or chicken & noodles, etc.).  If you make the old fashioned roasts with the bones in them, you'd take the leftover bones and make a broth out of them to this end. 

Joanna

Great ideas!  I already make hash a lot and it looks the same as yours Teresa, but I've always used hamburger ~ and added a lot of celery.  I never thought to use roast before...

Marian, Marty's mom, used to make salad/sandwich spread with beef or ham ~ whatever... and you are right, it was delicious.  I had forgotten all about that. I have only ever done that with Tuna, but she used whatever she had and sometimes made it with tongue ~ that's not in the cards for me, but I'll try roast & probalby chicken too. (I always have the tongue ground in with the hamburger so I don't have to think about it  ::) )

And Hot Roast Beef sandwiches with bread, mashed potatoes, roast beef & gravy, how could I forget that?  When I waited tables as a kid in high school, that was probably the most popular thing in the winter.

Thanks... I'm updating my recipe/dinner idea book right now.

Catwoman

I had completely forgotten about making hash...my great-grandmother used to make it and I have her recipe...somewhere!...I'll have to try to find it and make it this winter.  How fun! :laugh:

Jo McDonald

For leftover meats for sandwiches spreads, I save what ever leftover meat we have for a meal - put it in freezer wrap - label it, and freeze it in a large ziplock bag. Just keep adding what ever there is until Ii have enough to use.   I save chicken, fried or grilled or baked - pork, fried or grilled - beef, grilled or pan fried, or roast  ( not hamburger though ) and when I have quite a lot, I grind it all together and make a meat spread.  If some of the meat has been grilled it gives a wonderful flavor to the mixture.  If I have any left over fried chicken, I debone it before I freeze it.
  I  was always requested to bring sandwiches for refreshments to Easter Star when it was my turn to serve -- and when Georgia Van Buskirk asked me how I mlade my meat spread I was on top of the world, because that lady could flat cook, and I felt highly complimented.  She was a sweet heart - and  all of the Winn children thought so too, Right, Frank???
  I add some garlic powder and onion and pickle relish and sometimes hard cooked eggs - and mayo.
  I also make sandwich spread from ground luncheion meat (bologna) and add hard cooked eggs to that misture.
  Yum!!!  now I'm hungry  AGAIN  sighhhhhh
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

pam

When ever I have left over roast which ain't often with this bunch lol, I shred it up, throw it in a skillet with some chopped onions and heat it till the onions are cookin, put in some mushrooms if I have em, a can of mushroom soup, some cajun spice and some noodles, cook it till the noodles are done and then put it on mashed taters like chicken and noodles.It's kinda like stroganoff I guess.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Joanna

Quote from: Jo McDonald on October 05, 2008, 09:57:19 AM
For leftover meats .... Just keep adding what ever there is until Ii have enough to use...
Mmmm. Now why didn't that occur to me? Sometimes there is such a small amount of meat left I can't imagine a use for it so I end up giving it to Squirt.  Now I'll try to remember to add it to a bag in the freezer and it won't go to waste... of course, Squirt didn't think it was a waste anyhow...

Catwoman, the roast & gravy over bread sounds good and I remember my mom making that years ago. It would sure be a quick lunch or a light supper and easier than a hot roast beef sandwich, though that's good as well!

Pam, that sounds good too.  I do something like that with hamburger and never thought to use roast instead. 

Thanks for helping me kick my imagination in gear...  Now about these persimmons  ???- that better be another post...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk